Cold Air Funnels

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Anyone ever heard of these? What hazards to flying do they present, other than the obvious, and how can you see them, if at all?

Special Weather Statement Issued by the National Weather Service at 2:30 PM CDT on September 5, 2006

... Cold air funnels sighted across the region...

Atmospheric conditions exist across northern Illinois and
Northwest Indiana that favor the formation of the phenomenon
called cold air funnels. Cold air funnels form at the base of
developing cumulus clouds... contain weak wind circulations...
but rarely... descend close to the ground.

Cold air funnels may last for several seconds to several minutes.
The potential for cold air funnel development will end at
sunset.

In very rare instances these funnels may briefly touchdown. Stay
alert and be prepared to move quickly to a safe shelter if a
funnel cloud approaches the ground.

Give it a google and there are a number of sites that come up talking about them. While "weaker" than tornados, I fully suspect that the term "weak" is relative. And that they'd eat yer airplane for lunch.

They look lilke small tornadoes, they do not reach the ground as a cloud,but as they pass overhead you will experiance a strong wind just like a really big dust devil, but no debris cloud, having seen and experianced many of them, i dont think i would want to be near one in an airplane.

I remember one happening in Madison years ago. Took out most of the cars at John Lancaster dealership, they still have "tornado anniversary" sales. What I really remember is being over at a friend's house and it was nice and sunny outside but the tornado sirens were going off. Kinda weird.

I seen one while flying on an Instrument lesson w/ my instructor just north of MTO (Mattoon IL) last week! Looked like a mini tornado just below the clouds.

Back