Coil Over Shocks (N/A)

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
I have a 1981 Trans Am SE. I’m trying to improve the ride and handling. Apparently, coil over shocks would help with both. The rear suspension is leaf springs and I’m curious if the coil overs supplement or replace the leaf springs. I have a source for a conversion kit for all four corners.

Before coil overs, though, I plan to replace the chassis bushings. I can’t get a kit, so have to get them for each application separately. I’d rather not replace the leaf springs’ bushings if they go away when I convert to coil overs.

I’m asking here because POA has a giant brain trust and we all.come here from different walks of life. Thanks

I have a 1981 Trans Am SE. I’m trying to improve the ride and handling. Apparently, coil over shocks would help with both. The rear suspension is leaf springs and I’m curious if the coil overs supplement or replace the leaf springs. I have a source for a conversion kit for all four corners.

Are the present shock mounts sturdy enough to carry the weight of the vehicle? That would be my quesion.

I have used them on my truck with good results .... just make sure you buy a good quality brand because the coil spring puts an extra load on the shock absorber .

I did it because the original suspension was a bit rough ... the coil-over shocks have a softer spring and it improved the ride which is mainly what I wanted .... it also raised the vehicle a bit (1/4" to 1/2") which was another plus.

Initially I flinched at the price (for a good quality set) .... but after 100k miles they were still good.

Have a link to the conversion kit you’re looking at? That would likely provide information that would be helpful to give a more worthwhile suggestion.

Back