Cockpit View 2

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
A few folks here and there have expressed interest in a stick and rudder view to show various inputs. I fixed-mounted one of the cameras in a new spot and shot some clips last night of various maneuvers and fun stuff. I've picked up little things to improve from watching this too. HD enabled.

Nice! Almost had to pull out the barf bag watching it. ;)

Nothing delicate about the stick movements in those maneuvers is there?

Nothing delicate about the stick movements in those maneuvers is there?

No, not compared to "normal" flying. :) But there are specific things that trying to be accomplished with competition acro flying, and sometimes aerobatics in general that don't necessarily involve lazily moving the stick. There are times to be smooth and slow, and there are times to whip the stick very quickly for sharp points and definition - as viewed from the ground.

Whifferdill,

In your one turn spin recovery... What's the purpose of brisk right aileron input?

p.s. Awesome video! I knew I waited for something special for my first post :)

What are those pedals on the floor? I thought they only moved the nose wheel.

In your one turn spin recovery... What's the purpose of brisk right aileron input?

Honestly, just a subconscious attempt to avoid any slight over rotation in the last moment of the spin recovery. You'll notice that I pushed the stick straight forward first (with neutral aileron), and only made that quick aileron input a moment near the end just before the rotation stopped, as the angle of attack was already reduced compared to the initial spin recovery input. Right aileron during initial spin recovery would delay recovery and is bad technique. I'm not sure if the inadvertent right aileron near then end really does anything. Like I said, subconscious and not sure it helps, but I definitely don't think it inhibits when the aileron was applied as late as I was doing.

I do the same thing recovering snap rolls, as you can see in the video. There are those who swear a quick opposite aileron input at the very end of snap roll recovery can make the stop more crisp. I have not put much effort into testing along these lines, but I get good enough results with the technique I have partially unintentionally developed. The initiation of the snap has always been more deliberate in my mind than the aileron input at the very end.

Back