Cockpit Cosmetics

SbestCFII

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFII Scott - The IFR Coach
I have been upgrading the interior look of "the Duck" for a couple of years, starting with a new Airtex Interior (which was of much better quality than the original piper materials), new belts, panel lighting and such. My pilot's yoke had been "badly" painted before I bought the plan, so this year I bought some Leather yoke covers and installed then while my last instrument student was taking his oral test during checkride. I got them from Warren Gregoire and the material was great and the installation was straightforward. The only issue I had with the covers was a minor workmanship issue. The covers are applied using velcro (not an issue, since it works well), but when I started opening the velcro it bagan seperating fron whwere it had been "GLUED" to the leather. I didn't expect that for >$300 for less than a square foot of leather. However, I took there to a nice shop and had them professional stitch to the leather and it worked out quite well. Especially with the new Piper medallions.

Now mulling over a replacment for the #2 radio (KX-155). I was looking at a replacement display buttons and bezel from BK on a radio that functions flawlessly, versus waiting for the promised but still not delivered MX-155 (which would add a 2nd glideslope) vs. buying an over-priced new Nav/Com radio.

Looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• Yoke Covers 2018.png
    Yoke Covers 2018.png
    511.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Never liked the look of them on the pipers. I honestly I think they look about like swap meet chrome stripping on a POS ghetto car. Sorry,but unlike McDonalds, I’m not luvin it.

Do you currently do not have a GS indicator? The indicators are not cheap and with ILSs being unplugged daily I would not put my money there.

Never liked the look of them on the pipers. I honestly I think they look about like swap meet chrome stripping on a POS ghetto car. Sorry,but unlike McDonalds, I’m not luvin it.

I like the appearance. Those yokes can really get scratched up over the years.

Do you currently do not have a GS indicator? The indicators are not cheap and with ILSs being unplugged daily I would not put my money there.

Huh?

They are unplugging NDBs but ILSs are still the default options for lots of 121/135 guys and big airports, ILS ain’t going anywhere.

As for the yokes, I’d remove them, media blast and have them powder coated.

Huh? They are unplugging NDBs but ILSs are still the default options for lots of 121/135 guys and big airports, ILS ain’t going anywhere.

Don't you know? Anything that isn't GPS will be shut down yesterday for NextGen. That's why even the bee's knees of the avionics world, the GNS series has no nav radio in it.

Oh, SNAP! That isn't true. What to do?

Huh?

They are unplugging NDBs but ILSs are still the default options for lots of 121/135 guys and big airports, ILS ain’t going anywhere.

As for the yokes, I’d remove them, media blast and have them powder coated.

Where do you live? Uncontrolled airports are opting not to maintain their ILS equipment and they are disappearing. There are 3 of the 5 civil airports within 60 nm of my home airport unplugging their ILS EQ.

By 2025 there will also be 300 less VORs east of the Rockies.

Last edited:
Where do you live? Uncontrolled airports are opting not to maintain their ILS equipment and they are disappearing. There are 3 of the 5 civil airports within 60 nm of my home airport unplugging their ILS EQ.

By 2025 there will also be 300 less VORs east of the Rockies.

I tend to not bicker with Clip4... but are you stating that 3 Non-towered airports in some 60nm area HAVE ILS's and are taking them out? I know I'm relatively new to it all, but I have NEVER seen an ILS at a non-towered field.

I tend to not bicker with Clip4... but are you stating that 3 Non-towered airports in some 60nm area HAVE ILS's and are taking them out? I know I'm relatively new to it all, but I have NEVER seen an ILS at a non-towered field.

There’s a few ex mil fields that have them. Again ILSs are kinda critical, more so than VORs/NDBs

Search AOH RID SGH UNI HAO LPR CEV MQJ TYQ OKK ASW GSH IKK and VPZ. That’s just two states with uncontrolled fields with ILS for some examples.

Last edited:
Perhaps taking a few out, but I wouldn’t take a plane seriously for IFR ops without it being able to fly a ILS.

Perhaps taking a few out, but I wouldn’t take a plane seriously for IFR ops without it being able to fly a ILS.
I agree, but I am saying I would not put money in a second ILS capable indicator and radio today.

2016 Preformance Based Navigation Strategy.
2021–2025 TIMEFRAME
In the mid term, navigation within the NAS will become increasingly PBN-centric, more resilient against GNSS service disruptions, and be supported by agile processes and tools for deploying and maintaining PBN procedures. Implementation of criteria and plans developed in the near term will begin to significantly shape the operation of the NAS, and the rationalization of ground-based navigation infrastructure will reduce the number of VOR facilities and, to a lesser extent, the number of Category I ILSs.

Last edited:

We have an ILS at a non-towered field just south of my home airport. It also has a NDB that you can use (if you still have an ADF of course) to help get lined up. I am not IFR, but I do like tuning in the ILS when I go visit them. The airport is KDNN in North Georgia.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KDNN

I have heard them say that when the NDB goes toes up, they won't replace it. But, they do indeed intend to keep the ILS going. It brings a lot of corporate jets in for fuel, because its much cheaper than flying to KCHA. The airport manager said that the Jet-A sales pretty much pays for the ILS and then some. A lot of the local IFR students love going down to KDNN because it's easier to learn at that airport at first, and not have to also contend with ATC at the same time.

I do have a G5 PFD interfaced with my 430W and am mulling the G5 HSI with the AP interface that would upgrade my Century to GPSS. Trig has a new NavCom out next year that will be TSO'd and likely less than Garmin unit.

Search AOH RID SGH UNI HAO LPR CEV MQJ TYQ OKK ASW GSH IKK and VPZ. That’s just two states with uncontrolled fields with ILS for some examples.
They're all over the place here. Home (KJNX) airport has an ILS, nearby KRWI, KPGV, KGWW, KLHZ, KISO (all of these within 50 miles) also have ILS. All non-towered fields. That's one reason why this is such a good area for IFR training.

A SECOND glideslope in a single engine aircraft? Why not a second transponder, ADSB, ELT, or mason jar while you are at it.\

Sheesh.

Jim

A SECOND glideslope in a single engine aircraft? Why not a second transponder, ADSB, ELT, or mason jar while you are at it.\

Sheesh.

Jim

Because the glideslope can get you safely on the ground, a transponder, ADSB, ELT can't.

If you're going to bother with a navcom, it should be able to shoot a ILS at the very least.

Also what the number of engines have to do with anything? If I'm up there in IMC and need to shoot a ILS, I need to shoot a ILS, 1 engine or 20 engines.

I don't know that two glide slopes are all the important but I can definitely see a good reason to have two VORs at least. At that point including the second glide slope doesn't cost that much more.

Back