Cockpit comfort

OK, maybe I should have said, "prettiest airplane that I'd ever have a chance in hell of touching or flying, let alone owning". Sure, an F-5 :drool: or a Spitfire or a P51 or something might be cooler, or sexier. For something I can realistically hope to have in my own hangar, though... the Comanche is all it. Especially if you're talking about factory produced "spam cans". Would that term even apply to something as sexy and classy as a Comanche? :dunno: I think not.

I have flown 152's, 172's, 177, 182's, Bonanzas, Piper Warrior, Piper Pathfinder, and a few others. I now own a 182 that is very comfortable for my 262# frame. It isn't the fastest, but it doesn't cost me a fortune to fly or maintain.

As far as speed, I have flown in flights with other airplanes and find that on most trips under 350 miles I get there about 15 min. later than the fast planes which I can live with.

One thing that I think really makes a difference in 'pilot comfort' is a good autopilot. I have a Stec 60-2 with altitude hold and GPS steering along with a Stec auto-trim. I can fly quite a ways at cruise altitude and relax very comfortably in the seat (I have a Sair console that sits between the seats with an armrest) and not be worn out after a long trip.

I flew this past Friday with an employee of mine who weighs in somewhere in the 260-280# range and we weren't bumping shoulders.

I vote for the sexy plane.

I read a book on boat maintenance which stressed that when buying a boat, practicality and affordability are concerns, but just as important is finding one you really love - you'll be more inclined to take better care of it and it will cost you less in the long run (maybe)

+1.

Every airplane needs the "three A's"

Autopilot, altitude pre-select and air-conditioning, even if some of them are non-installed.

One thing that I think really makes a difference in 'pilot comfort' is a good autopilot. I have a Stec 60-2 with altitude hold and GPS steering along with a Stec auto-trim. .

Back