Coating a hanger floor

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
I've made a long-term commitment for a T-hanger and I'm looking at coating the concrete floor with something. My friend got a nice finish with two coats of Behr single-part epoxy floor paint. I'm looking at doing the U-Coat-It product. Anyone have any experience in this?

Make sure you heed well the application instructions for temperature. My BIL made a royal mess of his garage when it was too cold.

I I'm looking at doing the U-Coat-It product. Anyone have any experience in this?

Sorta...If you are going to use U-Coat, I STRONGLY suggest you get a pro to do the work that has a ton of experience with this product . Prepping the surface PROPERLY and having helping hands is the key.

The Rustoleum epoxy paint has worked well for my garage floor for 6 years now. I second the non-skid suggestion. I agree with the comment about temperature, and I'll add that surface preparation is really important. If you use the acid in the kit to roughen the floor, the powder that is made must be cleaned up to get good adherance.

+2 on floor prep significance. Remove all oil spots, etc. that will prevent coating from adhering.

When I lived in Florida I did several hangars and a couple of garages using a two part epoxy called Richardson's that is produced in Tampa.

Once cured you can pour battery acid on them and whip it off without damage. Very durable.

As previously stated temperature and preparation are key.

The ultra best quality floor coating

http://www.airtechcoatings.com

We did the Fleet repair center's engine shop with this in 1997, it looks new today with heavy industrial traffic, all kinds of chemicals spilled on it.

My hangar at BVS has simple coating of house hold floor wax, nothing sticks to it, I dropped some fabric cement on it, let it dry, and it flaked off the next day with a little help from my jack knife, paint droplets same thing.

I painted my garage at home with "single part epoxy", and it has flaked up to the point I consider it a failure.

Painted the hangar with a really stinky two-part epoxy, and it has held up like new.

Next time I do this I'll hire a pro... surface prep is the hardest part, and they have the better chemicals and equipment to do it right, including grinding the concrete first if needed. They also have a warranty.

I used some 2-part epoxy at my first house on new (and fully cured concrete) and followed the directions to the letter. It still failed within a couple years with massive flaking. I ended up putting down vinyl rolls to cover the floors and they worked great.

My current house had nice paint on the concrete front porch and steps, and in the unfinished portion of the basement on the floors and walls. Previous owners DIY as far as I can tell, and probably right before they put it on the market. 2 years later it is failing as well.

Hiring a pro can be 3 to 5 dollars per sf or more. But you will love the results

+2 on floor prep significance. Remove all oil spots, etc. that will prevent coating from adhering.

+3 The PREP is 99% of the job. Clean, Sand or preferably grind, Etch, Correct Temperature & Humidity.

Back