Coast to coast in a mooney 201 with no sup oxygen

Interesting discussion on O2 and night vision:

The effect of altitudinal hypoxia on night vision is primarily one of an elevation of the rod and cone threshold. Although decreased cone function is clearly demonstrated by the loss of color vision at hypoxic altitudes, the decrement in central VA is usually insignificant. However, scotopic night vision at altitude can be significantly reduced. Scotopic vision has been reported to decrease by 5% at 3,500 feet, 20% at 10,000 feet, and 35% at 13,000 feet, if supplemental oxygen is not provided. Thus, the use of oxygen, even at low pressure altitudes, can be very important at night.

More here

Wazzamatter? :rofl: Isn't the tunnel wide enough for the wingspan? :rofl:

Nope. Because during ski season, they turn one lane into the opposite direction. In other words, in the morning, the north tunnel has both lanes going west, and the south tunnel has 1 lane going west and the other going east. So, you're gonna run into oncoming traffic if you pick the wrong tunnel.

Besides, the fumes are just horrendous if you get stuck inside.

Borrow/buy an O2 tank - it's not so much the altitudes, but you're probably not
used to flying at 10-14K for long periods of time. The O2 will help alleviate the effects and keep you much more comfortable.

As for Las Vegas - go to Henderson (HND) rather than VGT unless there's a compelling reason to be on the north side. With HND you don't need to deal with the additional traffic of LAS and VGT and Nellis.

VGT is a very busy place if you don't know the airspace or the airport.
HND is nice.. and wide open to the south if you are coming in that way from Kingman or Lake Havasu or SoCal.

Another thing about being at altitude without o2 - your heart is working much harder. I was at 15k (back seat) with a malfunctioning cannula. there was a leak in that little ball regulator thingy (technical term for that scale where you twist the knob to get the ball to bounce at your altitude). Anywho, I couldn't figure out why the 2 old codgers up front, who both had 30 yrs on me, were comfy and pulse ox in the high 90s, while I was in the 70s and my pulse was in the high 90s and climbing. The pulse rate was what really caught my attention - I thought "Man I must REALLY be out of shape!" Then I noticed the slight hissing sound. Grabbed another cannula and everything went back to normal.

I was in the 70s and my pulse was in the high 90s and climbing. The pulse rate was what really caught my attention - I thought "Man I must REALLY be out of shape!" Then I noticed the slight hissing sound. Grabbed another cannula and everything went back to normal.

Sounds like an example of how low O2sat makes you stupid:D. If you were thinking clearly, your first reaction to a reading in the 70s would be to get more O2 NOW! 70 isn't far from passing out for most folks IIRC. And you are absolutely correct that your heart speeds up when the O2 levels drop. With less O2 per cc of blood, your circulation has to increase to keep the cells functioning. I suspect that if it weren't for that, anything below 90% might cause a LOC.

Whatsa matta U? GET OXYGEN. Jay_us.

There really isn't any good reason to make a private flight through the mountains in IFR in a SE aircraft. The risk/benefit analysis goes against it even with O2.

Am I the only one who looked at his route? His MEAs are 12k or below the entire route, hence why he planned on filing that way. Only problem is if he doesn't get that, in which case he can always say "unable" to accept a clearance and negotiate an alternate. I agree VFR probably makes more sense, though, and he should borrow an O2 system (already stated).

Yeah, thing is, when you get IMC out west in that area, it's not SE friendly IMC. Besides, flying through there is all about the view man....

The route out of TX you might look at is going over EL Paso. ELP V198 SSO V94 TFD V105 HND. That would give you lower terrain and less restricted airspace to deal with. You either have to be north of White Sands airspace or south of it. I have only gotten cleared through it once. That was flying on a holiday.

Its a little different flying out west than it is back east. We have a lot less airports along the way for use as an alternate if you get into trouble and need to make a precautionary landing. The terrain itself tends to be quite rugged if you have to make an off airport landing. Not impossible just requiring more work.

Flight following can be tough to get in some of the areas out west. So don't plan to be able to utilize it for the entire journey.

I would plan a route that would keep me near one of the big interstate Highways. That way if you end up off airport you have a better chance of getting some help. Towns can be 50 miles apart at a couple of areas for your trip.

You might look into using Henderson as your airport in Las Vegas. Coming from your direction you wouldn't have to mess too much with the LAS Class B.

Good advise as others have already pointed out is, In winter out here with the aircraft that you are flying is stay VFR. During the time of year that you are going to do the trip Clouds = Ice.

Its a really fun trip. I have done it a bunch of times. Just do good planning and you will do just fine. There is a lot to see out west. Going up high will ruin some of the scenery. Flying a somewhat lower altitude will have you appreciating the fact that you aren't doing the trip in a covered wagon.

Last edited:
Several years ago I flew my Cardinal RG on an IFR flight plan from Port Huron Michigan to Prescott Arizona with fuel stops at St. Louis Missouri and Amarillo Texas. I don't know if anything has changed since then but the MEA near Albuquerque New Mexico was 12,000. I chose that route rather than a more direct route specifically because I was not OX equipped. A more direct route would have taken me over areas of Colorado that had MEAs over 14,000.

It was a beautiful trip and having flown in and around Michigan for years I was just amazed with the visibility out there. Here in Michigan with all of the haze we have in our skies we seldom get visibilities up to 25 miles. At 12,000 feet over Albuquerque I was able to see the silhouettes of the rock formations in Monument Valley Utah. It's no wonder the sunsets out there are so gorgeous.

Of all the flying I've done that trip has to be the most memorable of all.

Jean

Sorry, I see the situation but don't see the problem. People have been flying this route in Cubs, Taylorcrafts, Aeroncas, pretty soon for a century.

Is there a problem with your Mooney?

It was a beautiful trip and having flown in and around Michigan for years I was just amazed with the visibility out there. Here in Michigan with all of the haze we have in our skies we seldom get visibilities up to 25 miles.

Except in the winter, when nobody seems to fly for some reason. :dunno: I *love* flying in the winter! Good vis, great performance.

Of all the flying I've done that trip has to be the most memorable of all.

Definitely! :yes:

Sorry, I see the situation but don't see the problem. People have been flying this route in Cubs, Taylorcrafts, Aeroncas, pretty soon for a century.

Is there a problem with your Mooney?

No problem with the mooney, I simply had a concern about the MEA and I am greatful for all the advice I have recieved here. I am really looking forward to this trip.

The route out of TX you might look at is going over EL Paso. ELP V198 SSO V94 TFD V105 HND. That would give you lower terrain and less restricted airspace to deal with. You either have to be north of White Sands airspace or south of it. I have only gotten cleared through it once. That was flying on a holiday.

Its a little different flying out west than it is back east. We have a lot less airports along the way for use as an alternate if you get into trouble and need to make a precautionary landing. The terrain itself tends to be quite rugged if you have to make an off airport landing. Not impossible just requiring more work.

Flight following can be tough to get in some of the areas out west. So don't plan to be able to utilize it for the entire journey.

I would plan a route that would keep me near one of the big interstate Highways. That way if you end up off airport you have a better chance of getting some help. Towns can be 50 miles apart at a couple of areas for your trip.

You might look into using Henderson as your airport in Las Vegas. Coming from your direction you wouldn't have to mess too much with the LAS Class B.

Good advise as others have already pointed out is, In winter out here with the aircraft that you are flying is stay VFR. During the time of year that you are going to do the trip Clouds = Ice.

Its a really fun trip. I have done it a bunch of times. Just do good planning and you will do just fine. There is a lot to see out west. Going up high will ruin some of the scenery. Flying a somewhat lower altitude will have you appreciating the fact that you aren't doing the trip in a covered wagon.

Thanks. This is what I'm thinking at this point.

sooo ready for this trip!!! stops include HTS, GLH, DWH, OSA, SAD, Sedona, marble canyon L41, HND, LHX, and BMG. leaving Feb 13th.
Along with a special stop in the mohave. will post videos

PS: I did purchase an oxygen system and oximeter as suggested here.

PS: check out my past flight videos at edcrane.com

Attachments

• fp-ca1.gif
    fp-ca1.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
sooo ready for this trip!!! stops include HTS, GLH, DWH, OSA, SAD, Sedona, marble canyon L41, HND, LHX, and BMG. leaving Feb 13th.

don't forget St John's (KSJN) for the best price in fuel.

well, if you're stopping in LHX (LaJunta) give us a day's notice...there's quite a few of us that are "local" (meaning less than 90 min flight)

Just went coast-to-coast in the Aztec, mostly yesterday finished it off today. Definitely was glad to have the O2. Have a great trip!

Whats the reason for IFR? Most likely if it is IFR you're going to have serious icing concerns.

If I were to do it - I'd want good VFR. Plenty of ways to go through VFR without oxygen concerns.

X2. I lived in Colorado for three years and flew at 12.5 K ft. and got just about anywhere I wanted. You do NOT want to fly through the Rockies in any type of weather.

Just went coast-to-coast in the Aztec, mostly yesterday finished it off today. Definitely was glad to have the O2. Have a great trip!

Have a good trip home, Ted. Looks like you're headed back east. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6927Y

If you have to stop in the DFW area and need anything, give me a ring. ate-one-seven tree-too-zero one-tree-tree-six.

Stop in Peoria. 309 XXXX 691 XXXX 8973 I get messages within three minutes.... :)

looks like you will enjoy a strong tailwind from sus to frg @15k. :)

I have heard that whatever you are wearing is survival gear and whatever is in the aircraft is camping gear. I'd want lots of both. Nobody lives out there, and you could be a long way from rescue should anything happen. Didn't they uncover over a half-dozen wrecks looking for Faucett?

If you check FlightAware, you'll see my route of flight. :)

I was approached about a month and a half back about doing a transport to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary out in Kanab, UT. I jumped at that, wanting to get to see their facilities and meet with them. Then about a week and a half ago I was approached by another group working with the Milan Foundation and North Shore Animal League working on getting small dogs transported to New York from California. Well, since I was in Utah anyway...

Summary:

Day 1: KEDE - KUZA - KMLU - KPVW - KKNB (with 8 dogs)
Day 2: KKNB - KSBD
Day 3: KSBD - KTCC - KSUS - KFRG (with 47 dogs)

I'll do a full write-up later. :)

Thanks for the invites to stop by. As you might imagine, we were rather rushed given the distance we had to travel and the fact that we were with dogs heading both ways (and I haven't checked PoA again until just now). In the future, though, I'll hope to get to stop to see more friends en route!

I have heard that whatever you are wearing is survival gear and whatever is in the aircraft is camping gear. I'd want lots of both. Nobody lives out there, and you could be a long way from rescue should anything happen. Didn't they uncover over a half-dozen wrecks looking for Faucett?

I think it was closer to a whole dozen. :frown2:

Ohhh, I wish I were going along for the ride! It's a glorious trip. I've gone from coast to coast a bunch of times in a Mooney 231- piece of cake, of course, but also flown across the Colorado Rockies in a C-172 several times. Fabulous!! Yes, you're looking up at the rocks on both sides, and you have to be very careful of weather, and in summer, mind the density altitude, but you already know that.

You've gotten some good advice.
1. Mountain Checkout. If you're anywhere that offers one, I'd strongly add my encouragement that you to take one. Mine was four hours of the most interesting flight instruction ever, in Colorado Springs one morning a bunch of years ago. The instructor helped this flatlander with leaning on take-off, recognizing and safely getting out of blind canyons, recognizing landmarks when all those snow-capped peaks look alike. We landed on one-way runways, sloping runways, and of course, at Leadville. We talked about mountain weather, density altitude, identifying off-airport possibilities, survival, and more. It was an excellent use of time, as well as some magnificent sight-seeing.
2. O2- good plan. Useful at night after a long day of flying to 'turn up the lights' even when you're headed for sea level.
3. Take your time if you possibly can. I'm confident that you'll have a splendid trip you'll remember happily for a very long time.

The trip was fantastic. Thanks to this forum I was well prepared. The oxygen came in handy.

Here is a video of some of the highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/ecrane99#p/u/1/Pj6NJcxiCoU

IMG00151-20100218-1048.jpg

IMG00158-20100218-1338.jpg

IMG00154-20100218-1050.jpg

IMG00073-20100214-0830.jpg

IMG00078-20100214-1324.jpg

IMG00067-20100212-1829.jpg

Hey, the shack is gone!

Attachments

• Whitmore,small.jpg
    Whitmore,small.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
Glad you had a good trip! The chart makes a good sun visor, but sure hard to see other traffic!

Excellent photos, I'm jealous of the trip!

What O2 system did you end up bringing?

Aerox 15cu. Picked up a nice tail wind at 13000 which was the highest I have ever flown. Was odd to the the manifold pressure so low up there and made me understand why people buy turbo.

Aerox 15cu. Picked up a nice tail wind at 13000 which was the highest I have ever flown. Was odd to the the manifold pressure so low up there and made me understand why people buy turbo.

In my experience, the Mooney's wing design still performs pretty well up at higher altitudes in spite of the lower manifold pressure. I never flew it at gross up there (it looks like you probably did judging from having three people and baggage), but when it was just dogs and me I'd get the plane truing out at 145 ktas anywhere from about 5,000-11,000 ft at 2400 RPM and full throttle. If you'd had a turbo, though, you'd not only be getting the tailwind but you'd also be getting a higher TAS.

The Aztec doesn't like flying at 13,000 ft, but it'll do it fine if it's just me in the plane. If I'm loaded up, it's really unhappy and TAS drops off significantly. I once tried flying up there with a bunch of dogs to get a tailwind. I spend about 5 minutes up there before I decided the plane wasn't having any of that and went back down to 11,000. It's interesting what a difference those 2" of manifold pressure (roughly) make.

Back