Coast to coast airplane for 1-2 passengers?

Lucky2AV8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lucky2AV8
So, I am not sure this really exists, but here are the requirements:

FIKI
1-4 passengers maximum
Fast (lets say 230kts cruise minimum)
Long Range (don't want to have to stop more than once flying from ALB to LAX)
Pressurized (preferred, but not mandatory)
Lets pretend money doesn't matter at all

Most of my flights are myself, and maybe one other passenger, but I am relegated to commercial travel when going coast to coast :mad2:

I think the most likely candidate is a SR22 with the FIKI, but for a coast to coast plane it really doesn't make sense as it is a minimum of 2 stops, and a LONG day.

I could jump up to a TBM (and I am thinking that may be the way I have to go in the end) but the extra cabin space would almost be a complete waste because most of my trips don't require the extra passenger space.

I don't want to get a type certificate, and I don't mind doing recurring training if needed to stay current.

Is there something obvious that I am not thinking of?

SR-71 fast, real fast!

you said money no object :D

Turbo-prop Maule or Bonanza :D

* they still make 'em?

To big for 1-2 passengers, I think I would be better off going with a TBM if I have to go that route.

You said 4 PAX maximum. The KA has a potty, which you'll need on a 2,200nm run with only one stop. There are short-body KA variants (like C90) which wouldn't be too bad. Pressurized, larger cabin, and two screws makes for a bit better scenario in an engine-out.

The C421 is probably a good option, too, if you don't want a PC12/C90. However, you'd be stopping twice with that one.

Last edited:

FIKI
1-4 passengers maximum

Most of my flights are myself, and maybe one other passenger, but I am relegated to commercial travel when going coast to coast :mad2:

I think the most likely candidate is a SR22 with the FIKI, but for a coast to coast plane it really doesn't make sense as it is a minimum of 2 stops, and a LONG day.

I could jump up to a TBM (and I am thinking that may be the way I have to go in the end) but the extra cabin space would almost be a complete waste because most of my trips don't require the extra passenger space.

I don't want to get a type certificate, and I don't mind doing recurring training if needed to stay current.

Yeah, tell me about it.
:D

I was going to suggest the PC-12... but if the King Air's too big...

Lancair EVO,or piper Meridian.

Last edited:
Are they FIKI?

You can get them fully outfitted with anti-ice/de-ice (hot wings, IIRC), but it's not technically FIKI, as that only applies to certified airplanes. The ice protection also slows the airplane down a fair amount (draggy).

You can get them fully outfitted with anti-ice/de-ice (hot wings, IIRC), but it's not technically FIKI, as that only applies to certified airplanes. The ice protection also slows the airplane down a fair amount (draggy).

So may be a dumb question, but how does the FAA look at that if I take off and fly through a layer of known ice since it is not certified?

So may be a dumb question, but how does the FAA look at that if I take off and fly through a layer of known ice since it is not certified?

A better question is, can the FAA prove it was "known" ice...

"Known" ice is a pretty fuzzy standard. More than likely, nothing ever comes of it unless you find yourself in an emergency because of "known" ice or you go around bragging at the FBO or on the internet that you fly through "known" ice all the time.

The Evolution is a good choice, and significantly cheaper than the TBM. If you don't care about cost, though, I'd get the TBM. The comfort for your pax is much better, and it's nice to have the 6 seat options.

Were it my money, I'd get the Evolution. I've only flown the piston version but it's a beautiful flying airplane. Very docile and easy. The PT6 rockets you into the sky.

I've flown a lot of de-iced birds in icing, and I don't think any of them were FIKI. Nobody's cared. It really is about decision making. You need to understand the capabilities of your specific equipment and how to handle icing. Also keep in mind FIKI just means you passed the certification test. I'd fly the 310 (non-FIKI de-ice) in icing over a Malibu any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

The SR22 won't do it long term. It's too slow for truly cross-country jaunts. If you run the hell out of it you'll get better speeds, and need to do a top overhaul halfway on the trip from LA to NYC. Westbound, two tops and maybe a major. ;)

A better question is, can the FAA prove it was "known" ice...

"Known" ice is a pretty fuzzy standard. More than likely, nothing ever comes of it unless you find yourself in an emergency because of "known" ice or you go around bragging at the FBO or on the internet that you fly through "known" ice all the time.

Recently, the AIM was updated to include known icing being PIREPs only. The reality of icing is I can have a ton of it here, but none of it 15 miles away. Very localized.

Coast to Coast? 2 First Class tickets.

You simply will not find any SP planes that can do it non stop at that speed with one exception - SJ30. But they're as rare as hen's teeth. And you won't find many that can do it with just one stop either. At least not consistently, westward, in the winter.

Your only real options are:

Merlin IIIB (2600nm)
Mooney Ovation w. Monroe aux tanks (2400nm)
Conquest (2200nm)
Turbo Commander (2000nm)
CJ3, CJ4 (2000nm)
PC12 (1700nm)
TBM850 (1600nm)
Aerostar with aux tank (1400nm)

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Was thinking about splitting a twin with big engines of some stripe. Similar mission but only 1/2 way across the US. Maybe an early 58. The old bo is for personal / short trips.

Surprised no one has brought up Net Jets.

I like to fly myself... There are times that it would be nice to ride along, but there are a few of us that fly so if need be we could always swap on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIKI
1-4 passengers maximum

The cost of fuel alone will be a lot higher than commercial/ economy.

How often do you plan on making this trip?

There's a lot of weather to contend with, so pressurized and turbine will give you best shot of not having to wait out weather.

Small jets will have at least one, probably two or three stops for fuel.

Choice: Merlin

Last edited:
Albany to LAX for most of the planes described will require one stop eastbound with normal tailwinds, and two stops westbound with normal headwinds. You're looking at over 2000 nm in a straight line, which to do non-stop you'd basically need to build a custom designed plane. The TBM 900 might be your best bet. It advertises 1730 nm range with 4 passengers. That might be close enough that with excellent tailwinds you could make it non-stop, and consistently 1 stop westbound.

When you get into jets you'll likely still need a stop unless you step up to something bigger that's not single pilot certified.

Recently, the AIM was updated to include known icing being PIREPs only. The reality of icing is I can have a ton of it here, but none of it 15 miles away. Very localized.

Huh. Hadn't seen that.

Have noticed that hardly anyone makes a real PIREP anymore though. Can listen in to ZDV on the worst possible weather days and hear piles of people mentioning ice, pull up official PIREPs and be lucky to find one, maybe two, within 500 miles.

Back