Coast Guard Aux

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
Inspired by a post over here, I'm now curious...what's the word on flying for the Coast Guard Aux? Requirements, type of flying, etc?

Matt -
I checked their web site but all they speak of is the boating aspect. There was nothing on the site, less I missed it, regarding flying. :dunno:

Inspired by a post over here, I'm now curious...what's the word on flying for the Coast Guard Aux? Requirements, type of flying, etc?
I'm just about to leave so I can't really get into it. Try my website for now http:\\www.cgaux73.org and look at Air Operations. And try the links page.

Sorry - gotta run.

Depents a lot on where you are Matt. I had a couple friends fly in to eat lunch with me yesterday. One is a retired Captain form the shallow water Navy now flies with the Aux. He's in Savannah, but if you really get into it, I can see if he would mind exchanging e-mails with you. The other fella was an active duty Coast Guard officer flying helos. Got a medal during Katrina for his efforts. Very nice fella. Seems he's off to the D.C. area next to work that area. I asked him for his cell number in case I ever ran into issues there, but acquiesed when he told me they were actually busting some of their own folks that violated procedure. Now I think of him as more of a structured thinker :yes:

Best,

Dave

Depents a lot on where you are Matt. I had a couple friends fly in to eat lunch with me yesterday. One is a retired Captain form the shallow water Navy now flies with the Aux. He's in Savannah, but if you really get into it, I can see if he would mind exchanging e-mails with you. The other fella was an active duty Coast Guard officer flying helos. Got a medal during Katrina for his efforts. Very nice fella. Seems he's off to the D.C. area next to work that area. I asked him for his cell number in case I ever ran into issues there, but acquiesed when he told me they were actually busting some of their own folks that violated procedure. Now I think of him as more of a structured thinker :yes:

Best,

Dave

I'm mostly just curious. I'm looking for pretty much any way to fly more for cheap, and if could be for a good cause, even better. I don't know how much time I'd have to give as CJC keeps me pretty busy, but I'm just kind of curious about their requirements and what they do.

Just like CAP, join because you want to contribute to the organization, not because you want to get something from them.

Since I mentioned it, let me answer your question. The Coast Guard Auxiliary is a volunteer organization which officially began (by law) in 1939 as the Coast Guard Reserves; in 1941, changed to the Auxiliary with the creation of a RESERVE CG. CG Aviation represents a part of what the Coast Guard does as does AUX AIR. AUX AIR info can be found on the AUX OPS site. Basic quals are an approved boating safety course, AUX Communications course, 2 Aux Aviation OPS courses, Incident Command Courses, egress training, water survival, AUX AIRCREW, a flight test, and 200 hours PIC SINCE PPL.
There are 3 stages. COPILOT, 1st Pilot, and Aircraft commander. Each has minimum requirements to achieve that rating and still more minimums to remain qualified.
You can get an idea of the types of missions from the OPS site. In general, the missions we fly are in support of regular duty Coast Guard. We use our own planes which must be accepted as Aux facilities (min requirements on them too!). They are information gathering, logistics (flying CG and materials), safety, and SAR. There is reimbursements for expenses based on HOBBS which vary based on equipment used.
I've been part of the Coast Guard Auxiliary for 5 years. Nationwide, Auxiliarists have put in 4 million volunteer hours in 2007. If you'd like more info, drop me a line.

Coast Guard Aux is an arm of Homeland Security, so you must be a US citizen, get fingerprinted (at your expense at the local police station), and pass an investigation.

Coast Guard Aux requires you study and pass a boating course (at no expense that is somewhat abbreviated for those who only want to fly) to become a member and pay dues of about $90 per year.

All aircrew (but not boat crew - go figure) must pass an annual egress and swim test which requires a 150 yd swim fully clothed (with shoes) and life vest, then climb into a 4-man raft. You also must learn Coast Guard communications.

You can fly as an observer with no flying hours, but you must study & pass exam. You buy your Romex uniform (for a minimum of $100 used) and insignia.

After some observer experience and more tests, with 200* flight hours you can fly as pilot even if only VFR. You are limited to daytime and within 3 miles of shore. With more hours and IFR, the restrictions are less limiting.

Activities include search and rescue. You will learn how to fly various search patterns. We also help out with other activities, such as observing ports and maritime events. Here on the Hudson River, we fly the river and report how far south the ice has progressed so that the Coast Guard cutters can open a channel if necessary. We practice coordinated aircraft/boat search and rescue and other operations. Most of the flying is low-level, but those with greater experience & IFR sometimes transport military officials to military functions.

If you provide an aircraft, the Coast Guard contributes some toward the maintenance and fuel.

*Edit: I think John is right about it being a 200 hour minimum.

Last edited:
Just like CAP, join because you want to contribute to the organization, not because you want to get something from them.
Actually, joining because you want something from them is a good idea. Just remember, you have to put in more than you get back. 4 million volunteer hours spread over 29,000 members is a lot of time. Besides, it's not free. There are dues.
There are other ways to help which don't include joining the Auxiliary. You could join the Coast Guard Auxiliary Association (a non-profit 501(c)(3)), you can shop at the Shop Auxiliary website, get your family and friends to join, or you could just give money (see Aux Association website).
The point is, there are things you can do and the rewards are there. You get back what you put in.

Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, they are ALL private-owned aircraft. As such, there may not be one near you, especially if you are inland at all.

Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, they are ALL private-owned aircraft. As such, there may not be one near you, especially if you are inland at all.
You're correct. The aircraft are all privately owned, and in most cases, flown by the owner or with the owner onboard.

I flew with the CGAUX for a while and thoroughtly enjoyed it. The aviation types in the CG are usually top notch people.

When I was in, you could fly solo, including IFR. Just after I got out, they started requiring 2 pilots for IFR or night flying. I don't know how that impacted operations. For their patrols (or search missions), they require at least 1 observer and prefer 2. You get to do some transport flights, since fixed wings are cheaper to fly than their choppers.

Under the old rules you had to either own at least 50%, or lease and aircraft. With the 2 pilot requirement, they may now have openings for rated pilots flying along with owners.

It's fun, but can be aggravating due to all the paper work and the fact that you usually join a surface flotilla. The surface folks know nothing about aircraft, so you have to do a lot of hustle on your own to get in the door. Once in, you fall under an aviation chain of command and things get a lot easier.

You can get a lot out of it, not just the reward of altruism.

If you cannot find a flotilla nearby with an air unit, you can join a regular flotila and start your own. There's a real challenge, but the other air units will be encouraging you.

I ws active in the NY Flotilla prior to 2001. Post 9/11 and with several aircraft related incident/accidents they ruined the program IMHO. First, the paperwork required and security clearance is worse than that requied for Federal LE or Military IMO. They make it sound as if you will be flying the POTUS. I'm an active LEO who routinely is assigned to and is in close proximity to the POTUS during visits. I didn't think I needed to fill out a mountain of paperwork (as stated previously) to get the required DHS clearances to fly SAR, winter ICE patrols or VIP flights.

I do believe they were on the right track with the added flight experience requirements and IFR ratings for night and VIP flights. All the other hoopla and paperwork was a waste and as previously stated a real PITA. My Flotilla was run well it was the upper chain of command and DHS that don't have a clue. For what I was getting paid for fuel and engine reserves, it just was not worth it.

Rant Ended...

I'm mostly just curious. I'm looking for pretty much any way to fly more for cheap, and if could be for a good cause, even better. I don't know how much time I'd have to give as CJC keeps me pretty busy, but I'm just kind of curious about their requirements and what they do.

200 hours for copilot rating is the minimum flight hours so this is not for those looking to build time. You need to pass a background check and obtain a security clearance, all at Coast guard expense. I am travelling but I will post more later. I am CgAux pilot and a staff officer for aviation officer. We do supplement the active duty guys slot which is very different than cap.

200 hours for copilot rating is the minimum flight hours so this is not for those looking to build time. You need to pass a background check and obtain a security clearance, all at Coast guard expense. I am travelling but I will post more later. I am CgAux pilot and a staff officer for aviation officer. We do supplement the active duty guys slot which is very different than cap.

I'm not really looking for time building, just a way to fly more and fly different types of aircraft/missions. I've got well over 200 hrs, so that's not an issue, I just don't really know much about how to get involved or what I can do once involved. I did CAP for a while, but we hardly did any flying, other than the occasional training flight. I'd be fun to actually do something productive with my flying. Unfortunately, the website of the local flotilla doesn't seem to have anything about an air wing on it.

Matt;
You're in one of the more active districts for air operations. In fact, if you are really interested, the 1st district conference is Jan 5th and 6th in Quincy MA. Also, I'm not sure you will find much on AUX AIR on the flotilla websites since it is considered a district thing. (On the other hand, I just checked the district site - a013.uscgaux.info - and didn't find anything there either.) And as one person pointed out, the Auxiliary seems to pay more attention to surface ops.
Drop me a note if you're really interested. I can find a couple of pilots you can talk to in your area. (If you know Plum Island Airport in Newburyport, MA, there is a very nice L-19 Birddog that flys out of there. The owner is an AUX AIR pilot, a restorer of L-19s and is also the owner of the airport. I believe the airport manager at Nantucket is also a AUXAIR pilot.)

I'm not really looking for time building, just a way to fly more and fly different types of aircraft/missions. <snip> I'd be fun to actually do something productive with my flying.

Considered Angel Flight or one of the other charity medical airlift programs?

Matt;
You're in one of the more active districts for air operations. In fact, if you are really interested, the 1st district conference is Jan 5th and 6th in Quincy MA. Also, I'm not sure you will find much on AUX AIR on the flotilla websites since it is considered a district thing. (On the other hand, I just checked the district site - a013.uscgaux.info - and didn't find anything there either.) And as one person pointed out, the Auxiliary seems to pay more attention to surface ops.
Drop me a note if you're really interested. I can find a couple of pilots you can talk to in your area. (If you know Plum Island Airport in Newburyport, MA, there is a very nice L-19 Birddog that flys out of there. The owner is an AUX AIR pilot, a restorer of L-19s and is also the owner of the airport. I believe the airport manager at Nantucket is also a AUXAIR pilot.)

I'll drop you a line tomorrow...must sleep! :)

I'm not really looking for time building, just a way to fly more and fly different types of aircraft/missions. I've got well over 200 hrs, so that's not an issue, I just don't really know much about how to get involved or what I can do once involved. I did CAP for a while, but we hardly did any flying, other than the occasional training flight. I'd be fun to actually do something productive with my flying. Unfortunately, the website of the local flotilla doesn't seem to have anything about an air wing on it.
I just added this: http://www.cgaux73.org/AirOps-New.html

Back