Coast Guard Academy

loudbagel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
I was just watching a Coast Guard show on TV and I am not thinking too serious but how does one go about becoming a Coast Guard pilot?

From what I read you become an Officer then a pilot (I assume you get your degree then go to flight school) ?? I am already a PPL....would they accept this?

And I know we have lots of opinions on this site.....should I even think about becoming a coast guard pilot?

I have a college friend who flies the Coast Guards Dolphin Helicopter. He loves it. His path was through the Army. He went into the Army straight out of college and flew Apache's. After a tour in Bosnia and a couple of sandbox wars in the arm pit of the world he was ready for a change. Slid right over to the Coast guard.

I met a few of the other pilots at a party and they were telling me about the Coast Guard Academy. They spoke highly of the quality education you receive and (learned something here) the academy is totally free. With a service commitment of course. You should check it out.

Couple of routes, but unless the USCG Aviation Cadet program is still operating, the first step is to become a Coast Guard officer. Paths to that (depending on age and educational status) include:
US Coast Guard Academy (not over age 22)
Coast Guard College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI)
USCG Officer Candiate School

After commissioning, you go to flight training with the Navy, starting at NAS Pensacola FL. Having your PPL is a step up on the rest of the folks when you start flight training, but I don't think the Navy program allows you any advanced placement in flight training for prior civilian training other than to bypass the flight screening program that middies at the Academy have to do before graduation if they are to be ordered to flight training.

It's disqualifying for many, but you have to be at least 6 feet tall in order to qualify for the USCG. That way if the ship sinks you can walk ashore. : )

It's disqualifying for many, but you have to be at least 6 feet tall in order to qualify for the USCG. That way if the ship sinks you can walk ashore. : )

I'm not 6 foot.... Joke or not?

Don't take anything he says seriously... :rolleyes:

Honestly, what ever happened to just not posting if you don't have a clue... I think I'm going to go take a reverse high speed and see what the tower says

I'm not 6 foot.... Joke or not?

Yeah, it's a joke. The last sentence was the punch line. I put the little smiley face to clearly identify for HopMedic as he doesn't get subtleness.

Honestly, what ever happened to just not posting if you don't have a clue... I think I'm going to go take a reverse high speed and see what the tower says

Knock yourself out.

...Sorry my little USCG joke wasn't funny enough.

"A hit, a very palpable hit!"

(W. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act V, Scene 2)

Sorry, if you're a already pilot then you're only qualified to be a cook.

Seriously, it doesn't matter, except maybe a little in terms of selection. But it's a minor part at best. In some ways it could be a hinderance because you've already developed bad habits. A civilian flight certificate means next to nothing in military aviation, they're under a completely different system.

I'll mention another option if you want to explore it would be the Coast Guard Auxillary, which also has an air branch. They can always use pilots and the CGAux works with the full time CG, so the attitude stays professional and relaxed. If you want to stay a civilian but still do things with the Coast Guard, this is an option.

I do have a clue. I knew he was joking. Wow.

Oh, and nothing will happen.

OK....

First, Ron's description of how to become a Coast Guard Aviator is correct, and there's one other path - go join another service, become an aviator there (army/marine/navy will be most useful) and then do an interservice transfer.

But, I think the real thing you need to think about is what life as a Coast Guard Aviator is like. I'll let other officers talk about what it's like to be an officer, but the thing I want to point out is that all the services, and the Coast Guard perhaps most, hire you to be an OFFICER first and an aviator second. All military aviators have the basic requirements of being leaders and supervisors just like any other officer. Then there are the collateral duties. The Coast Guard, being frequently restricted in budget and having real missions all the time to spend that money on, is often in the tough position of not budgeting more than the minimum for training flying because that money can be needed for the completely unpredictible search and rescue and other missions. So if you're a Coast Guard Aviator, you may not fly as much as you would in another service, particularly if there's not a war going on. On the other hand, most of the time you DO go flying you'll be doing mission work, not just training, and there's a significant satisfaction there. Coast Guard flying on missions is very professional but can get very hairy - probably as hairy as it gets without bullets flying.

Don't believe anything a recruiter tells you until you hear it from someone else, preferably an aviator who's still in. If you're still interested, drop me a private message and when I'm out at OSH I'll try and find a current CG aviator and get his contact information. Or if you're near a coast guard aviation facility, you can give them a call, tell them you're interested in a coast guard career, and I'd bet they'd schedule a time for you to visit (Public Information Officer is one of those collateral duties and some LCDR will be happy to put how he helped in recruiting in one of the blocks of his OER).

I hope I didn't rain on your parade at all. I loved my time in the Coast Guard - I've never worked for a better outfit or with better people. Just didn't want you to think it was all flying.

This is true of all military branches, really. If your motivation is to be there to serve as an Officer (or Warrant Officer as the case may be) first, and a pilot second... because you want to serve... The flying is just gravy after that. From everyone I've known who did it, anyway.

They're really looking for long-term commitments these days, too. It costs a lot to train a military aviator, and takes a while... so they'd really prefer you're in it for a longer haul than some other specialties.

>> USCG Academy

I am aware of two (high school age) Auxillary members that were able
to secure Academy appointments. Both subsequently qualified for flight
school. Both had the HS grades. Both were very involved in Aux. Their
Flotillas made certain that they were well known to the Chiefs and
Officers, including commanders. Those letters of recommendation certainly
did not inhibit them.

> another option if you want to explore it would be the Coast Guard Auxilary,
> which also has an air branch. They can always use pilots and the CGAux
> works with the full time CG, so the attitude stays professional and relaxed.
> If you want to stay a civilian but still do things with the Coast Guard, this
> is an option.

You are describing (USCG) AUXAIR. Yes, we need pilots - that have an ownership
interest in an airplane. Rentals don't qualify. Some flying clubs might qualify. There
are also "TBO" limitations.

If you don't have an ownership interest, you can fly as an Observer.

We do not pilot USCG/govt aircraft. We fly our own aircraft. When we are flying, we
are USCG. Govt insurance. TFRs, mostly don't apply. If there is a reason, we can
use military fields.

We are reimbursed for fuel and get a maint allowance, based on HP. My 260 HP C205
gets $55/hour.

I find it a LOT more satisfying than CAP. No cadets. No formations. No saluting.
Lots of "mission" flying. If you are not interested in "rank" and "uniforms" ... that is
generally okay. The secret is finding a Flotilla that fits your interests and is aviation
friendly. Some are. Some are NOT! <g>

It's a govt operation. It requires a substantive background check (Google: SF86),
study, written tests, swim tests & check rides. If you're a PPL, you've got the chops
to get thru the book work and tests. It's a matter of perseverance.

The Gold-side (regular USCG) seem genuinely happy to have us around. Really.
IIRC, our little group in SE Michigan did ~900 hours last year.

We do many of the same missions that Gold-side does. Since my C205 cannot hover,
I fly "search," not "rescue." We are not allowed to fly (direct) LE missions, but we
can fly in support of LE. I don't fully grasp that distinction. <g>

Since beginning the AUXAIR-thing, I *think* that ATC has become more
helpful and accommodating my regular flying.

Whenever I use one of the magic squawks or a Rescue callsign ... ATC is
exceptionally helpful. One controller told me, "It's almost as good as AF2."

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info guys!

It seems that every time I see a show on CG they seem very relaxed and kind but still carry that professional "swagger" I just like the way it kinda fits...

In regard to the question on my slamming, It is directed 100% at captain , hopmedic thank you for the relevant information!

That's nice. Have a nice day yourself.

I'll mention another option if you want to explore it would be the Coast Guard Auxillary, which also has an air branch. They can always use pilots and the CGAux works with the full time CG, so the attitude stays professional and relaxed. If you want to stay a civilian but still do things with the Coast Guard, this is an option.
CG Aux is a volunteer civilian organization -- no pay, no flight training. Similar in that regard to the CAP vis a vis the USAF. I don't think that's what the OP is looking for, but I could be wrong.

I haven't been saluted, nor saluted any adults in CAP in years. It's very Squadron specific, similar to different Flotillas in the USCG-Aux.

When I teach Cadets outside of our Senior Squadron, once in a while, one of them remembers. I return it and say, "carry on, I'll be in the area all day" and that ends it.

Some Seniors make the Cadets work... I really don't care to make them. I leave it to their Squadrons to do that stuff.

CAP also used to utilize privately owned aircraft and it's still in the regs to allow it, I think... But the unwritten rule seems to be that no Incident Commander will do it anymore unless they're out of resources.

Kinda looks bad if Congress purchases a fleet and it doesn't get utilized. Need to be good stewards of that benefit. If it went away, I'm sure we'd just go back to the old way.

Three-fingered-Jack, who frequents one of the aviation forums I hang around in (studentpilot.com, red board, purple board and this one) is a retired USCG aviator. Search him out and ask him....he is a graduate of the Academy.

Bob Gardner

Sorry, if you're a already pilot then you're only qualified to be a cook.

there is more truth in this than you would ever want to know . . .

USN riffed the entire Whidbey based SpecAir squadron in 1982 . . .because none of [them] were USNA or Pensacola graduates . . .

they wanted 'real' Naval Aviators - mind you these guys were sporting Centurion patches and flying everything from the COD to Tomcats . . .but thats what the Naval Secretary wanted and thats what John got . . .

Last edited:
4925.gif

USN riffed the entire Whidbey based SpecAir squadron in 1982 . .
What squadron was that, Joe? I don't remember a "SpecAir" squadron (whatever that is) at Whidbey in the 70's. Just A-6A/E and EA-6B active duty squadrons, a reserve patrol squadron (P-2's when I got there, later P-3B's), and a reserve H-46 squadron (which picked me off the deck of a destroyer and flew me home one time). Did that get formed or moved in later? In addition, 1982 was a period when they were paying big bonuses for pilots to stay in (and only 5-6 years after they were paying big money to kick them out), not riffing them.

.because none of [them] were USNA or Pensacola graduates . . .
They riffed plenty of Pensacola AOCS grads in the mid-late 70's, not just ROTC folks. And given the breakdown in Naval Aviation, I find it hard to believe there was a flying squadron with nothing but ROTC grads (there being few if any Newport OCS grads in aviation).

In any event, I've never heard of USCG doing any of that -- they seem to have a more stable personnel system.

I was just watching a Coast Guard show on TV and I am not thinking too serious but how does one go about becoming a Coast Guard pilot?

From what I read you become an Officer then a pilot (I assume you get your degree then go to flight school) ?? I am already a PPL....would they accept this?

And I know we have lots of opinions on this site.....should I even think about becoming a coast guard pilot?

It depends. Becoming an aviator in the CG is perhaps the hardest aviation track in any military branch. You are correct in your statements about being an officer first before you can be accepted as a flight candidate. You might serve aboard a floating unit or shore facility for some time before getting a chance however. As an Academy graduate you have to compete for the open slots against other officers who have cross-decked from another branch as well as officers who have been waiting for a slot while serving aboard other units . I was extremely lucky and got in with my first bid. Your basic flight training is at Pensacola with the Navy, which is a challenge in itself. If you have a PPL it will help, but you will get no extra bump from it. You then will move to specific type training at a USCG facility.

The operational flying is demanding, and requires you to extract the optimum performance from your crew and your machine. You will sometimes fly in conditions that seem insane, and land on tiny, heaving flight decks in crappy weather in the dark.
But the rewards are inestimable. You will work with some of the most driven and capable individuals on the planet. If you decide to try for it, you won't be sorry.

What squadron was that, Joe? I don't remember a "SpecAir" squadron (whatever that is) at Whidbey in the 70's. Just A-6A/E and EA-6B active duty squadrons, a reserve patrol squadron (P-2's when I got there, later P-3B's), and a reserve H-46 squadron (which picked me off the deck of a destroyer and flew me home one time). Did that get formed or moved in later? In addition, 1982 was a period when they were paying big bonuses for pilots to stay in (and only 5-6 years after they were paying big money to kick them out), not riffing them.

They riffed plenty of Pensacola AOCS grads in the mid-late 70's, not just ROTC folks. And given the breakdown in Naval Aviation, I find it hard to believe there was a flying squadron with nothing but ROTC grads (there being few if any Newport OCS grads in aviation).

In any event, I've never heard of USCG doing any of that -- they seem to have a more stable personnel system.

NAS flew H-3 until the upgraded to HH-60 about 5- years ago. those were the only helos at NAS Whidbey since I got here in 74.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_SH-3_Sea_King

VP-69 was the reserve Squadron that flew the P-2V-7s but now the Wing 10 has several Squadrons of EP-3Cs that occupy the whole A-6 portion of the Ramp and hangar spaces that the A-6 Bomber Squadrons had prior.

I can't think of any Squadrons that would have been called "SpecAir".

I thought all Naval aviation cadets finished their training in one of the other VT- Squadron other than Pensacola, Corpus Christy comes to mind, I know there are several other advanced training squadrons during the 70s.

I've been retired from the USN since 1981, but have continued to work on station until 2007, I know the reduction in force during the late 80s and 90s saw a lot of naval aviators go away.

Edit..

I forgot the VR squadron (VR 61), what did they call the reserve guys that flew the buck 18s (C118), They flew out of old hangar #2, and changed to DC-9s in early 80s.

OBTW Google Maps shows the base as configured as of a month ago. the ramps are pretty empty. but lots of hangars that you'll probably not remember because they were not there when you were.

Last edited:
NAS flew H-3 until the upgraded to HH-60 about 5- years ago. those were the only helos at NAS Whidbey since I got here in 74.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_SH-3_Sea_King
Right -- the station helos. But there really was a reserve H-46 outfit, at least in 1976, because I made the arrangements to get hauled off the destroyer.

VP-69 was the reserve Squadron that flew the P-2V-7s
That's it -- VP-69. How could you ever forget that number? And they transitioned to P-3B's while I was there.

but now the Wing 10 has several Squadrons of EP-3Cs that occupy the whole A-6 portion of the Ramp and hangar spaces that the A-6 Bomber Squadrons had prior.
...where I used to be.

I thought all Naval aviation cadets finished their training in one of the other VT- Squadron other than Pensacola, Corpus Christy comes to mind, I know there are several other advanced training squadrons during the 70s.
I don't think there's been an aviation cadet in the Navy for a very long time -- they'd ceased putting anyone who didn't already have a college degree into flight training before 1972, and even the AOC's were commissioned before finishing Primary in P'cola (which moved from Saufley to Whiting after I left there, but still in the Pensacola area), although Basic and Advanced jet/prop/helo training were conducted at Whiting in FL, Meridian in MS, and Kingsville/Beeville/Corpus Christie in TX.

But on the USCG side, at the time I went through, we had two USCG Aviation Cadets in my AOC class. They were both prior enlisted who'd completed two years of college while on active duty. They went through AOCS, then Navy flight training (helo pipeline) and were commissioned as USCG ensigns upon earning their wings -- same as the old Navy Aviation Cadets prior to about 1970. However, I don't believe the program has existed for a long time.

I know your just fishing right now, but what you might consider doing is contacting these nice folks here; http://www.cga.edu/

You answers might be slightly more official than what you are getting here, I would guess.

-John

Right -- the station helos. But there really was a reserve H-46 outfit, at least in 1976, because I made the arrangements to get hauled off the destroyer.

They were the reserve Squadrons that were from Belingham (BLI) or Everett (PAE) the CH46/7's never were stationed at Whidbey. They no longer exist.

Last edited:
But on the USCG side, at the time I went through, we had two USCG Aviation Cadets in my AOC class. They were both prior enlisted who'd completed two years of college while on active duty. They went through AOCS, then Navy flight training (helo pipeline) and were commissioned as USCG ensigns upon earning their wings -- same as the old Navy Aviation Cadets prior to about 1970. However, I don't believe the program has existed for a long time.

Correct. I was class of '76 and the program had been retired prior to that.

They're really looking for long-term commitments these days, too. It costs a lot to train a military aviator, and takes a while... so they'd really prefer you're in it for a longer haul than some other specialties.

I heard Navy Pilots are getting a 170k bonus after x amount of years (paid slowly over time of course).

Correct. I was class of '76 and the program had been retired prior to that.
The two AVCAD's in my AOCS class (04-73) were Ed Yonts and Mike Stafford -- probably got their wings in late '75. Ever know them? I lost track of them when I went off to NAS Glynco for Advanced NFO training while they were still at Whiting.

The two AVCAD's in my AOCS class (04-73) were Ed Yonts and Mike Stafford -- probably got their wings in late '75. Ever know them? I lost track of them when I went off to NAS Glynco for Advanced NFO training while they were still at Whiting.

No ringing bells, sorry

Back