Coarctation of the Aorta

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I had surgery/ Coarctation of the Aorta when I was 10 years old, I am currently 38.

I have never had any type of complications or any other medical issues.

I want to get a Private pilots license but I am worried that I won't qualify for a 3rd class medical.

Is a coarctation of the aorta grounds to deny a 3rd class medical?

I don't want to go in for my physical with out knowing the outcome because if it is denied I won't be able to fly at all, not even light sport.

I have been having a very hard time finding any good information on the topic. I am almost to the point of forgetting about the medical all together and going for a light sport license instead. At least being able to fly won't be in jeopardy.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Hi,

I had surgery/ Coarctation of the Aorta when I was 10 years old, I am currently 38.

I want to get a Private pilots license but I am worried that I won't qualify for a 3rd class medical.

I don't want to go in for my physical with out knowing the outcome because if it is denied I won't be able to fly at all, not even light sport.

I have been having a very hard time finding any good information on the topic. I am almost to the point of forgetting about the medical all together and going for a light sport license instead. At least being able to fly won't be in jeopardy.

thank you

I am not an AME.. but I am a pilot and a healthcare professional.

I dont believe this is a problem. This was a structural birth defect that was surgically corrected in your youth. By your own statement you are not being treated for any ongoing medical conditions. You simply are unable to hide the scar on your chest when you go in for a 3rd class medical.

You may end up having to take a chest xray, EKG or something similar, but I doubt that you would not get final issuance of a 3rd class medical. Your medical records may not even be available to you anymore if you or your parent's didn't obtain copies.. they only have to hold them for so many years after your 18th birthday.

The boilerplate answer in this situation is join AOPA. $40 or so bucks a year, and they have experts in their medical certification division that can answer this question more authoritatively than I ever can.

If being denied a medical is not an option for you, DO NOT.. see an AME before you make sure you are going to be successful in getting issuance, or you will have taken Sport Pilot privileges off the table.

Dave

The boilerplate answer in this situation is join AOPA. $40 or so bucks a year, and they have experts in their medical certification division that can answer this question more authoritatively than I ever can.

I believe that they still offer the 6 month free trial for student pilots.

If being denied a medical is not an option for you, DO NOT.. see an AME before you make sure you are going to be successful in getting issuance, or you will have taken Sport Pilot privileges off the table.

Yea. What he said.

Also, if you do get some advice from the AOPA and/or one of the outstanding AME's that hang around here - and if they offer any suggestions on what to write on the form - copy it down word for word. Exactly word for word.

Wait for Bruce's answer. If you can't wait, call your Regional Flight Surgeon anonymously and ask them. You can get that number from your local FSDO.

So this was 28 years ago. I haven't encountered this one but I would take blood pressures on both arms and if the mean arterial pressures were equal, that would be it for me.

The worst they could demand would be a cardiologist's evaluation letter, which a certain "can't risk any blame" deputy RFS in my district would require. But in my office, I'd be calling the head of certification (OKC) directly and get his blessing. We would obtain it. He's a sharp, practical man.

The worst they could demand would be a cardiologist's evaluation letter, which a certain "can't risk any blame" deputy RFS in my district would require. But in my office, I'd be calling the head of certification (OKC) directly and get his blessing. We would obtain it. He's a sharp, practical man.

And that is why Dr. Bruce is the best AME in the land... :yes:

Hi,

thank you

You should PM Dr. Bruce and follow his instructions to the letter.

You should PM Dr. Bruce and follow his instructions to the letter.

Or better yet, if a trip to Peoria is feasible, set up an appointment for your airman's medical exam with Bruce himself. You can't do better than that.

Or better yet, if a trip to Peoria is feasible, set up an appointment for your airman's medical exam with Bruce himself. You can't do better than that.

As one who has benefited from his advise, I'll second that. They don't come any better. :thumbsup:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back