Co Worker Wants to be a PPL

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
So recently a I took a co worker flying and he had the time of his life. He expressed wanting to take lessons early part of next year.

A couple of days ago he told me he gets migraines 6 times a year and some has caused him to get blurry vision to almost no vision at all. :yikes:
I'm going to suggest to him he doesn't fly anything unless its RC aircraft.
I'm also active RC pilots so I can get him started in RC.

I just don't want to bust his bubble about PPL flying.

Maybe let the AME bust that bubble but prepare him that it could be a deal breaker for him just so he is aware he may not be able to fly.

That sucks though.

Have him call Dr. Chien

+1 to this. If it can be possible to obtain the third class, Dr. Chien will be the right person to manage this case. The documentation requirement for this is pretty strict, lengthy, and easy to foul up.

IIRC, the issue is the "what if" of the migraine coming on such that vision is affected, much like what is described in the OP.

I just don't want to read headlines "Pilot suffers migraine and looses control of aircraft". I could be his safety Pilot if that is some type of limitations places on his Class 3. Not sure if there is such a thing.

Are the migraines sudden onset, or does he know ahead of time when they are coming on?

My wife gets occasional migraines, but they never go from "fine" to "incapacitated" in a short period. Hours time scale between knowing the onset is starting and when she would not be safe to fly if she were a pilot.

I believe he knows when they are coming on and they can last for days. Incapacitation doesn't always happen with him. I haven't even asked him if he has been diagnosed by a doctor.

Yeah; clearly if his migraines are suddenly incapacitating, he shouldn't fly anything. But if he has a fair amount of warning, sport pilot might make a lot of sense if he discusses with his neurologist first. Or even a Class 3 if someone like Bruce Chien gives blessing.

But I wouldn't say "let the AME give him that news," because it's possible that he'd be safe as a sport pilot, which would be lost after a failed medical. But if intending the sport pilot route, consulting with Bruce Chien or a neurologist with aviation experience would be the best way to determine whether he'd be safe under those limitations. (From people I know with migraines, it's very possible he would be, but everyone is different.)

It looks like this is the worksheet for AMEs. If they can check "yes" to all the boxes, they can issue a Class 3 in the office. If not, it goes to the FAA (and presumably lots more expensive testing and no guarantee on outcome).

Given that it sounds like your friend is describing an ocular migraine, which can't be approved by the AME. If he has lots of warning that they're coming on, sport pilot (after discussion with a doc) is probably the best way to go...

Last edited:
Don't shoot him down. You are the perfect person to help make another pilot. As others have said figure out if it is rapid onset or not, and have him talk to Bruce and or pursue SP or one of the other awesome nonmedical flying avenues

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back