CO POA - Lunch run Saturday?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Weather looks sunny, maybe a bit warm. Maybe a run over to Salida? Anybody game?

Sorry, this weekend won't work. Already booked to fly Sunday, but it's commercial to a conference/trade show.

Love to see this activity though, and would enjoy seeing everyone again!

Still in painting mode, actually post-painting mode, on the left coast.

grumble ....
( B ) FR past due,
club currency past due,
Bonanza still in annual,
Dakota on its way into annual
every stinkin' weekend between now and whenever looks booked
... grumble

Here's something new and different...

Yeah, I could go flying today or tomorrow.

:)

And I will be. Holler if anyone wants to go anywhere...

Here's something new and different...

Yeah, I could go flying today or tomorrow.

:)

And I will be. Holler if anyone wants to go anywhere...

Salida? Steamboat? Laramie? I'm pretty wide open for destinations.

Let's plan on tomorrow since Murphey has time then.

Ok. Tomorrow works. Don't care where we go. :)

Haven't heard from Murph yet but I'm voting Salida - haven't been there in awhile and lunch by the river is quite relaxing. Might have to call Mari to ask where she found the courtesy car keys...

She thinks they were somewhere to the right as you walk in the door from the ramp. A long time ago they were in the hall on the way to the office but I don't think that's where she found them last time. She had to look around a bit.

Salida? Steamboat? Laramie? I'm pretty wide open for destinations.

Let's plan on tomorrow since Murphey has time then.
I may be baggage on Sunday....will know more later today.

She thinks they were somewhere to the right as you walk in the door from the ramp. A long time ago they were in the hall on the way to the office but I don't think that's where she found them last time. She had to look around a bit.

I guess Mari didn't want a phone call...:D

11:30 ish? I'm easy on timing...

Murph? I'll be at FTG around 10 for a 10:30 departure...let us know if timing needs to change for you.

WX might be a little sucky for a 11:30 arrival... Will keep an eye on this...

50bd7ab4da468de7e3e120432b47ee1d.jpg

Looks like there is some precip ahead of a front...looks like it will go away with a little sunshine

The mountain obscuration is supposed to clear out by 6 a.m.
current metar is clear

Winds are going to be a bit high, ~30 kts @ 12,000' so it'll be a bit bumpy in places.

wunderground is predicting a pretty good temp/dew point spread for Salida

Could always keep PUB as plan B.

Will check weather again before heading to the airport

otherwise, see ya on 122.75

That MOS forecast is crap.

25 knots aloft, +12 ISA, high pressure over half the Western US, and not a station reporting anything but VFR for miles.

Haven't ever seen valley fog under those conditions last more than an hour or so after sunrise in those conditions.

Oh yeah, and a frogging 15 degree dewpoint spread.

For my first accidental foray into MOS tab on Foreflight, let's just say I'm not impressed with that model's mountain knowledge. Ha.

Good flight. Good lunch. As you can see, we were definitely skirting with Low IFR just like the forecast! (Not.)

2bdff603f8d0e412b3d7a9783d595a3f.jpg

Number three for departure at KAPA.

f4ffb8767b3bec780310665c264719d7.jpg

Scary weather. Taken 45 minutes before Low IFR was predicted to return by the MOS forecast. LOL!

343e9892e98dbfdf404fa0bcf11ec4b8.jpg

Crew Cars Alpha and Beta. We put gas in Alpha. Beta's spotlight was shattered.

d0a05004d505bb36ea6d9e380a45da6a.jpg

The MOS forecast's "Marginal VFR in Haze". Ha.

76b68f5479da37719c8fb4561a380e73.jpg

Here's your sign.

fb7fc27e19849a209456a1c8bb81ff9b.jpg

Terrible view at lunch. We tried to give the kid fishing pointers from the bridge. Didn't work.

e8e59dcda3631c6a74f3a13de8ce7147.jpg

Controlled burn, we hope. Clark thought maybe this was the Low IFR we were expecting.

2a16804f123d63b9f61c6167b2abdefa.jpg

A new spin on the old joke.

42d9f84eaabb535bc87e1797e7a58a89.jpg

Bad mountain pilots who didn't make it.

18b441a849153dc83f00b66274904497.jpg

Pikes Peak, from the west side.

d6a717a8e925f215c46239000264d977.jpg

Obligatory airplane selfie.

The only photo I have of Clark, Karen took while he was in a compromising position assisting with my tie down ropes. I don't think he wants that one posted. Haha.

That restaurant somehow looks familiar...

Glad you found the keys to the cruisers!

Thanks for posting the pix Nate, couldn't ask for better weather.

Salida does have a lot of lunch choices but it's tough to beat sitting next to the river on a sunny spring day...

Nate,

When you see issues like this, please let us know at team@foreflight.com. MOS is designed to have local knowledge given that it uses geoclimatic data for that station to produce the forecast. KANK is a relatively new site for MOS, implemented just a couple months ago. I have asked a couple of my colleagues at NOAA who are the experts and can identify what the issue may be and if it can be improved - at least minimize the false alarm rate.

At ForeFlight we don't look at every site to see how it's performing. So, please let us know when you see a significant deviation from reality, especially one that persists.

Review of accuracy for forecast data is a pretty straightforward problem with graphical displays and a little color coding...

Sure. But at ForeFlight we're not in business to do that analysis for MOS or any other forecast...too many other things to keep us busy. At NOAA they do keep track of overall MOS performance, but since this particular station is relatively new, I suspect there's still some fine tuning.

Ya think.....:rolleyes:.........:D

Pretty neat that you guys are involved Scott, but understand that technically it's not Foreflight's responsibility or product.

No big deal. I was just caught off guard by it. The default screen goes to the MOS forecast in the absence of a regular one and I wasn't watching the tab at the top.

Going from "Low IFR" to what y'all see in the photos is pretty comically bad, though. Hopefully it does better at other locations where the model matches reality a bit better. I wonder if the mountain stuff confuses the model because of the lower pressures?

Typhoon coming! Because the airport is at 8000+ MSL? Heh.

Who knows. Good entertainment though.

See the two buttons at the top? TAF and MOS. If no TAF it'll default to MOS.

366235ac4134ab37cc7b9e07adf6da88.jpg

By the way it still thinks KANK is IFR. Heh.

Nope. Not now and they're expecting a little snow overnight. So maybe. I guess. Heh.

c467b17b87156b4ef323e5bac1755800.jpg

25 degree dewpoint spread if you can see it there under the dot at the airport...

4cbe798557f17974785fcde762e2616b.jpg

And VFR everywhere right now up there...

7c78b0273210ebe1464a6dc062d64681.jpg

Seems like that'd be the fastest programmatic way to find huge errors in the model. Plot the data that gives the Flight Category vs the predicted flight category from MOS at all stations where both can be compared and see how off MOS stations are.

I think that's what Clark was also recommending. The data is there, all that has to be done is a comparison between what actually happened and the MOS forecast for that same time to see if it's even worth keeping as a weather source at a particular station.

Visibility doesn't match the forecast there either. Another possible comparison of hard data.

b0cdd8d365b5db64811c184e0ec19bcc.jpg

Ceiling and sky coverage, too. Of course.

Oh well. It's interesting anyway. Not going to use it anymore without seeing if it matches reality...

aha...on the airport page....no wonder I couldn't find it

Back