Co-pilot camera mount for gopro

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
Has anyone tried this?

https://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17530

I understand I need a tripod adapter to put it on the gopro, but it looks nice.

Can I accomplish this viewing angle another way? For example, by mounting a suction cup on the ceiling?

There are made for go pro suction mounts that are much less. They stick amazingly well. I don't know about an airplane, but when Audi was filming me driving a Tesla S they had two go pros suctioned on the outside of the car, one on the hood and one on the front fender looking forward of the tire. Got up to 70 MPH and over some rough roads.

Seems awfully expensive.

Do a search for recent threads and "GoPro" for some of my suggestions, all of which are both cheaper and more versatile.

Seems awfully expensive.

Do a search for recent threads and "GoPro" for some of my suggestions, all of which are both cheaper and more versatile.

I actually did see some of your suggestions. Do the RAM suction mounts attach to the ceiling at all? Or does it have to be glass?

I actually did see some of your suggestions. Do the RAM suction mounts attach to the ceiling at all? Or does it have to be glass?

I guess it depends on what sort of "ceiling" you're talking about. Lots of planes have fabric headliners so nothing will suction cup to them. Some are plastic with a rough surface and they won't work either. A little more detail on exactly where and how you're trying to use the thing may help......

Frank

I bought a little mat for $15 at Best Buy. Yhey are designed to be put up on the dash of cars and attach the suction cup mount for a GPS. Works great with the GoPro.

Suction cups won't stick to the ceilings of either Skyhawks or Duchesses. I use the adhesive mounts for that type of view.

Here's an example of one on the ceiling of the BE76:

And here's an example of using the adhesive mount on the very forward part of the C172 ceiling:

Suction cups won't stick to the ceilings of either Skyhawks or Duchesses. I use the adhesive mounts for that type of view.

These adhesive mounts... I can't use them on rental aircraft right?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the gopro suction mounts can fasten to the ceiling and provide a view like this?

https://www.sportys.com/morepics/17530d.jpg

I guess it depends on what sort of "ceiling" you're talking about. Lots of planes have fabric headliners so nothing will suction cup to them. Some are plastic with a rough surface and they won't work either. A little more detail on exactly where and how you're trying to use the thing may help......

Frank

A tip I got from a Beech King Air pilot for these "forward view, centered off the ceiling" was to get a SMALL suction cup, and mount the camera via the small suction cup to the eyeball light on the ceiling... I haven't tried it yet, but I was telling him how the "textured" ceiling in the C172S doesn't allow a suction cup to grip. The small suction cup on the eyeball light was how he deals with it. I haven't tried to find one smaller than the 3.25" cup, but I imagine finding one small enough to fit the smooth lens of the eyeball light would be hard to do!

These adhesive mounts... I can't use them on rental aircraft right?
Why not??? Just take 'em off and replace the sticky with double-sided tape. I use the commercial version of the same stuff GoPro uses: 3M double-sided mounting tape

A tip I got from a Beech King Air pilot for these "forward view, centered off the ceiling" was to get a SMALL suction cup, and mount the camera via the small suction cup to the eyeball light on the ceiling... I haven't tried it yet, but I was telling him how the "textured" ceiling in the C172S doesn't allow a suction cup to grip. The small suction cup on the eyeball light was how he deals with it. I haven't tried to find one smaller than the 3.25" cup, but I imagine finding one small enough to fit the smooth lens of the eyeball light would be hard to do!
Nifty, hadn't thought of that... However, I can see how some turbulence could get the (relatively) heavy camera swinging and be enough to move that little ball socket... :dunno:

Also handy for applications like this is 3M DualLok tape:

3MDUAL_BL.JPG

Lots of online sources, and a strip of this in a rental plane would be pretty innocuous in most locations. Also available in clear:

bonding-fasteners-17952-3797977.jpg

And, of course, another strip on your GoPro, RAM or other mount of choice.

Back