CO-KS Sunday May 22

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
Figured I'd give it a shot. Looks like tomorrow is supposed to be a real nice day and Janet and I figured we'd fly out to Butterfly Cafe at Goodland for a late (about 10 am±) breakfast.

Figured I'd give it a shot. Looks like tomorrow is supposed to be a real nice day and Janet and I figured we'd fly out to Butterfly Cafe at Goodland for a late (about 10 am±) breakfast.

Haven't been to Goodland in over a year. A definite possibility...will know more later today.

Hmm, I passed up making a fuel stop in Goodland last night and decided to press on to Burlington....

Definitely maybe. My wife is flying out to DC and I have to take her to DIA. It will depend on if her flight is on time.

I'm in the maybe category. At least the Frankenkota is flying again after strut re-seals. The pants are still at the painters though...

I should have added that I'm not available to go so far away tomorrow. I traded my Sunday day off with my flying buddy who wants to take his horse up trail riding in the mountains. I owed him some days.

So what are folks thinking? Right now I'm planning to go.

I'm gonna wimp out

FTG forecast : (1 pm) wind 320 at 15 knots gusting to 25 knots, thunderstorms in vicinity,
GLD forecast: wind 300° at 15 knots gusting to 23 knots

[whine]

For only having 1.5 hrs in the past 2 months, I don't need to deal with cross winds like this.

Clark and I and Janet had a nice breakfast.

300° is right down the runway. A simple 5 kts extra (1/2 the gust factor) made for a nice smooth landing.

Maybe you and I just need to go up on a gusty day sometime.

It was nice to meet Mark and Janet and I'm glad I made it to breakfast. The omelet hit the spot.

It was a bumpy ride back to FTG. I didn't file a flight plan but did use the autopilot so I arrived safely. ;-)

Clark and I and Janet had a nice breakfast.

300° is right down the runway. A simple 5 kts extra (1/2 the gust factor) made for a nice smooth landing.

Maybe you and I just need to go up on a gusty day sometime.
Gusts and wind don't bother me except when I haven't done much flying in almost 2 months.

Gusts and wind don't bother me except when I haven't done much flying in almost 2 months.
I was thinking you made a pretty nice crosswind landing when we went to Sidney. :)

I was thinking you made a pretty nice crosswind landing when we went to Sidney. :)

You are much too kind - but I'd been flying 2-3 times a week back then. April was winds, and at times, miserable winds. Not the tornado version in the midwest, but enough to keep me grounded. Now we're in May and it's TStorm time in addition to the winds. Gusts to 40 while I was at the airport today. When did it calm down? As I'm driving home, of course.

Anyone for Devil's Tower this coming weekend?

I'm in! I have to work on Memorial Day (Incident Commander for the parade). But both me and my wife should be able to make it (weather permitting).

Which day this coming weekend? Sat or Sun (or Mon?)

I've got Young Eagles on Sat AM, but can boogie out by noon with no problems. Hulett does't have fuel but Lusk (LSK) almost midway is under $5/gal.

Planning to go home with ET since the rapture didn't happen? Sorry, I'm on call next Saturday and Sunday and airlining to SFO on Monday. I know that's a stupid plan to try to airline on a holiday.

This far out, the weather along the entire route looks great - for a change.

Which airport? What kind of transportation to Devil's Tower? Considering it's memorial weekend, what plans if the weather turns evil in the afternoon?

Which airport? What kind of transportation to Devil's Tower? Considering it's memorial weekend, what plans if the weather turns evil in the afternoon?

All 3 hotels in Hulett are less than 10 sm away and all offer transportation to/from the airport and possibly Devils Tower. I'm sure there's a way to get there no matter what. Besides, that's half the fun. Downside - no place to rent a car. Another option is one of us parks at Gilette, Belle Fourche or Spearfish and rents a car. Third option - we all stay in Spearfish and rent one car for travel. Enterprise is at the Spearfish airport. Looks like hotels in Spearfish are cheaper than Hulett.

Don't want to stay at a hotel? Plenty of camping in the area.

Altho airnav doesn't show fuel, W43 website does show self-serve:
http://www.hulettmotel.com/images/airport/hm_airport5.html

Last edited:
Back