Co-Axe fittings

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
what is the proper nomenclature for the fitting/ connector that mounts on the rear of the radio rack, and allows the removal of the radio, and converts the rack to coaxial cable?

Most aviation racks I've seen have a BNC connector for RF, if I'm understanding your question.

Most aviation racks I've seen have a BNC connector for RF, if I'm understanding your question.

It is a BNC, but a special one, and is installed into the rack with a clip ring, and usually has a female on the other end to connect the antenna coaxial cable.

One of the first networks I ever configured was BNC/thinnet. I'm not contributing, just recalling memories spurred by this thread. =)

One of the first networks I ever configured was BNC/thinnet. I'm not contributing, just recalling memories spurred by this thread. =)

If only 1% of us computer geeks started wiring and installing avionics I bet the cost of a new panel would drop significantly....with the greater demand maybe we would even see some modest drops in hardware to boot.

If only 1% of us computer geeks started wiring and installing avionics I bet the cost of a new panel would drop significantly....with the greater demand maybe we would even see some modest drops in hardware to boot.

Agree 100%.

If only we could convince the FAA that this should fall under routine/preventative maintenance, the manufacturers would sell far more hardware and we could see prices closer to the experimental world. There was nothing hard about the 430 install in my last plane, except the signature at the end to make it all legal.

If you've wired a DB25 connector in the PC world and terminated coax into BNC connectors for token ring networks, you've got the skills required, definitely not magic.

Steve

Agree 100%.

If only we could convince the FAA that this should fall under routine/preventative maintenance, the manufacturers would sell far more hardware and we could see prices closer to the experimental world. There was nothing hard about the 430 install in my last plane, except the signature at the end to make it all legal.

If you've wired a DB25 connector in the PC world and terminated coax into BNC connectors for token ring networks, you've got the skills required, definitely not magic.

Steve

It takes a certain skill to convince the office that the token ring network is down because the ring fell out somewhere.

Just be careful to use 50-ohm BNC radio connectors, not 75-ohm BNC data/video/instrumentation BNC connectors. The latter are overwhelmingly more popular in surplus/salvage bins, and look almost identical.

Just be careful to use 50-ohm BNC radio connectors, not 75-ohm BNC data/video/instrumentation BNC connectors. The latter are overwhelmingly more popular in surplus/salvage bins, and look almost identical.

Well, the truth of the matter is that a BNC mated pair is such a small fraction of a wavelength on VHF radios that it won't matter all that much. Note well that I didn't say it was best practice, but that if you make a blunder and use the wrong impedance connector it shouldn't honk up the system too badly. Note also I said VHF, which just BARELY excludes glideslope and transponder and everything above.

Yes, you can see the bump on a good time domain reflectometer, but hardly anything on a VSWR meter.

Jim

Can't remember the name but there is at least one company selling a data bus hub for aviation. He is also selling standard connectors from G430 to hub and hub to audio panel and such so that you can just go plug n plan.

The hub was like $400 and the cables $100 ea but it looked cheaper than having a avionics shop do it.

Can't remember the name but there is at least one company selling a data bus hub for aviation. He is also selling standard connectors from G430 to hub and hub to audio panel and such so that you can just go plug n plan.

The hub was like $400 and the cables $100 ea but it looked cheaper than having a avionics shop do it.

I'd sure like it if you can remember where you saw it or the name. Sounds perfect for a kitbuilder who knows how to solder.

Jim

These guys?
http://www.approachfaststack.com

Back