CNX80 Database update

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
any pointers on where to find database updates for CNX 80? flygarmin doesn't list it and jepp website is incomprehensible...

Yes, and remind them you are using a CNX80/GNS480 before they get too far along.

The good news: Jepp has the updates and they don't require any special hardware, just a CF slot (the CNX80 even came with a cheapo Sandisk one but anything that exposed the NT filesystem will work just fine).

The bad news; Jepp has abhorrent software configuration practices. Only very old versions of the Jepp dowload manager work with the old Apollo stuff and even the newer ones that CLAIM to support it, seem to have problems in some configurations (like Windows10). I spent an entire day on the phone with multiple people at Jepp before they finally allowed me to revert to the prior version of the distribution manager that worked.

Yes, and remind them you are using a CNX80/GNS480 before they get too far along.

The good news: Jepp has the updates and they don't require any special hardware, just a CF slot (the CNX80 even came with a cheapo Sandisk one but anything that exposed the NT filesystem will work just fine).

The bad news; Jepp has abhorrent software configuration practices. Only very old versions of the Jepp dowload manager work with the old Apollo stuff and even the newer ones that CLAIM to support it, seem to have problems in some configurations (like Windows10). I spent an entire day on the phone with multiple people at Jepp before they finally allowed me to revert to the prior version of the distribution manager that worked.
O great. Thanks for your inputs. Mine says Apollo CNX80 on the GPS, guessing it's before Garmin acquired it...so a lot of fun down the road

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is really no difference on the units. Both the original CNX80 and the GNS480 needed major software updates (done from the front panel by a dealer).

what's the annual subscription on the CNX80?
are there choices?
(I'd want ifr/vfr contiguous usa)

what's the annual subscription on the CNX80?
are there choices?
(I'd want ifr/vfr contiguous usa)
About $500-550 for the CONUS... no variation between IFR or VFR. Source is JeppDirect.vom

PS. I think the 80/480 is one of the best boxes out there for the "older systems "

About $500-550 for the CONUS... no variation between IFR or VFR. Source is JeppDirect.vom

PS. I think the 80/480 is one of the best boxes out there for the "older systems "

it has got a ton of feature... i learn something new on every flight. some people say its complex, but i came from G1000 and didnt find 480 complex.. well the buttons are different and a lot of things are buried deep in.. but like any other garmin products, u get used to it. i also have GMX 200... with both updates annually i am looking at around $1200-$1300. i might not update anything and just use my EFB....

I think most of the people who find the GNS480 "complex" are tainted by the fact that it works differently from most Garmin boxes (430, 530, etc...). It's a cultural difference where the CNX80 was designed by people familiar with actual IFR FMS systems. I used to demo the box at the Garmin booth (since no Garmin employee had a clue about it).

It's real simple. FPL (flight plan) NEW (entering a new one). Set the origin (if you'd pushed NRST recently your current airport is there). Set Destination. Now start keying the route. As you choose a fix that has airways, they are offered. Select an airway, dial the exit point, lather, rinse, repeat.

If you get into a NON RADAR environment and have to make position reports, you can expand the flightplan and see the ETA to all the intersections (too easy).

Basic hint: If you don't know what state you are in, press MAP twice to get back to the start.

If you get a 530, can you use the db to update your 430? Or separate update$?

Eh, 480's have nothing to do with 430's or 530's. Each burn of the database (at least in the Jepp) application decrements the entitlement counter. If you have to GPS's that you want to keep continually updated, you need to subscribe for two. Some people with two alternate which one they update each time with one subscription, I think.

Eh, 480's have nothing to do with 430's or 530's. Each burn of the database (at least in the Jepp) application decrements the entitlement counter. If you have to GPS's that you want to keep continually updated, you need to subscribe for two. Some people with two alternate which one they update each time with one subscription, I think.

...or you might get lucky as I did, and Garmin said "programming failed" after every attempt - even though the card was burned 100% correctly...

Back