CNN: Gas prices soar

Richard said:
The way I read that graph is gross revenue is shown at the top and net profit is shown across the bottom. The bottom looks to be nearly level while the top is almost exponential. That can be expressed as net profit is an ever decreasing percentage of gross revenue. Show that I'm wrong.

I believe the graph you are looking at is a stock chart for Chevron. The top shows the stock price and the bottom shows the trading volume of the stock. It appears to be over a two year time frame. It is strictly the price and trading volume of the stock and has nothing to do with the profitability of the company.

Jeannie

Last edited:
Complex story:
There are 2 pipelines that feed the eastern half of the US. One across AL and GA and up the coast. The other across MS and up the west side of the appalachians and across PA.
Both are shut down across LA and MS due to lack of electricity. Both get their product from refineries on the gulf coast in TX, LA and MS. The source for the southern pipe is mainly LA and MS with TX and LA supplying the other.
The speed of product in the pipeline is determined by the amount of product and an interruption in product supply will slow the product already in the pipe.
Now, there is no power to move the product already in the pipe and limited product to put in when emergency power is returned to the pump stations. This will mean slow supply on the ends of the pipe. And more so on the southern pipe.
AL, GA and points east are going to be short of all oil product for several months to come.
That addresses the supply problem, the price problem is a different animal. The graph addresses volume and revenue, but not costs. IOW, ROI is not shown. If the station buys a load at $2, but knows with some certainty that they will have to pay $2.50 for the next load, why shouldn't they charge $2.50+? If they feel that the next load may not be available for 10 days, and their overhead will still have to be paid even if they have no product being sold, what then?
Yes, there is obviously some isolated gouging going on, but it is not all simply unadulterated greed.

AdamZ said:
Dave the Philadelphia news showed a BP station in Atlanta charging $5.87 per gallon for Regular. Please tell me that was gouging and not the rule down there! Here in the Philly Suburbs it went from $2.65 to $2.99 in one day by this morning It was $3.29 Thankfully my "No Name" Station is only $ 2.80 HA HA "ONLY $2.80" Boy thats a sad comment.

I personally did not see anything over $3.19 but heard those same reports. the biggest problem was that do to the panic and everyone filling up every car they own all at once, now many stations are out. According to Atlantagasprices.com the highest around here is 3.99

Images and detail of some damage to Gulf rigs...

http://www.rigzone.com/news/image_detail.asp?img_id=2483&a_id=24844
http://www.rigzone.com/news/image_detail.asp?img_id=2475&a_id=24845
http://www.rigzone.com/news/image_detail.asp?img_id=1004&a_id=24868
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24804
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24807
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24811
http://www.rigzone.com/news/image_detail.asp?img_id=2482&a_id=24816
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24818

http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24871

Williams says they have 1.3BCF of Natural Gas shut-in; almost all of that destined for the northeast market. Mid-range guesses put 12% of refining and production capacity offline.

The US government is now saying that this will have a long term impact on oil distribution and the petrochem supply chain in the US.

In brighter news, the LOOP is back open - the LOOP is a deepwater port for supertankers in the Gulf, one of the biggest contributors to our refining supply chain - and is taking on oil deliveries for the ExxonMobil refinery in Baton Rouge.

And here is an interactive map that shows just how bad this was - Katrina plowed right through the greatest concentration of rigs.

http://gom.rigzone.com/

September Gas has tailed off $0.30 USD from it's high yesterday - but the market volatility is too great to get any reward from trying to read the tea leaves. The market is going to be schitzophrenic for at least a week, possibly more, until all the information on where the short term and long term impacts are is discovered and brought to the public eye.

http://www.nymex.com/gas_fut_cso.aspx

The EPA has announced a waiver on gasoline volatility requirements.

http://www.nymex.com/notice_to_member.aspx?id=ntm374&archive=2005

And all of the big 5 (XOM, BP, RDS-A, WTU, CVX) are 4-6% higher in value since last week. The real question is... how will they do this quarter? It will be interesting for sure.

z

Cheers,

-Andrew

Greebo said:
How much of our refining capacity have we lost with this storm?

10-15% according to folks I know that should know ;)

The problem in the east is that two major pipelines are down completely.

None of that is sparing us down in Texas from the rising prices.

Did anyone see that 'docudrama' that - oh I think it was the History Channel? - was on a couple months ago about a national oil crisis being triggered by a sudden short term shortage of oil? It was done as a look back at something which already happened, and the events that led up to it.

Ironically the breakdown started in September of this year.

Ah, here's the link - it was FX.
http://www.fxnetwork.com/shows/originals/oilstorm/main.html

I wanna know who wrote that story. I want them to give me next week's lottery numbers.

I remember when I watched it, I thought it was somewhat alarmist, but overall potentially a pretty good indicator of a "what could happen" worst case scenario. Hmm. Now? I am not so sure. :)

Greebo said:
How much of our refining capacity have we lost with this storm?

It's a regional thing.

How much of Atlanta's refining capacity was lost? I'd bet nearly 100% short term as they probably pull ~100% of their fuel through the Gulf Coast. How much of the US's refinining capacity was lost? ~30% short term. BTW, "short term" means until power and the shipping infrastructure is restored.

On the other hand, California pulls there fuel off the west coast refineries, which explains why California prices haven't twitched but on the Eastern US seaboard prices have skyrocketed.

Richard said:
The highest I saw today was $3.09. California is less expensive than IL? That is topsy turvey to historical indexes.

We've hit $4.00 in Chicago. About $1 of that is the corruption tax - city, county, state...

Dean said:
Its now cheaper to fly than to drive. 100LL is still under $3.00 and unleaded reg is over $3.00. I am heading to the local Motorcycle dealer tomorrow to see about finding something thats a little easier on the wallet.

Go to the motorcycle shop to see about what kind you would like. THEN look in the classifieds for the first round of actual shopping. New motorcycles are gawdawful expensive and it'll take a lot of riding to make up the price difference. $500-1000 will get you a nice used one. New or used, you will be turning wrenches or pay through the nose for a motorcycle shop to do it.

My 1982 Honda CB650 gets about 57mpg and I have a huge windscreen on the front of it. If I take that off I can get another 10ish mpg most likely. 3.2 gallons goes a really LONG way if you're not throttle happy. Not bad for $600 (it was too good of condition to risk blowing the deal for a better price at the time)

Dean said:
The crew cab P/U likes gas to much. Thank goodness I did'nt buy the H2 I wanted, 10 MPG would really s**k right now.

H2? Bah humbug. I'm very seriously thinking about buying an older Class A RV right now. (primary use will be short term housing more than driving though so I'm not completely daft)

I drove past a $2.99/gal gas station here in COS yesterday. I'm halfway through a major motorcycle return to service maintenance session then time to move so I can use the thing.

AdamZ said:
Dave the Philadelphia news showed a BP station in Atlanta charging $5.87 per gallon for Regular. Please tell me that was gouging and not the rule down there! Here in the Philly Suburbs it went from $2.65 to $2.99 in one day by this morning It was $3.29 Thankfully my "No Name" Station is only $ 2.80 HA HA "ONLY $2.80" Boy thats a sad comment.

There was one station the tv showed this morning in the SE that was $6.00/gallon.

That's just simple straightforward beligerant arrogant corporate terrorism at it's finest. I'm not sure who's worse, the bomb toting terrorists or the corporate greed terrorists. They're pretty much the same group of people. They just have a different way of ruining your life but as long as your life gets screwed up and they accomplish what they want, they're happy.

$0.40-0.50 jump in prices here since friday. One station was $3.00/gallon yesterday afternoon. It's going to get worse...

Bill Jennings said:
Unknown, but CNN states 8 major refineries and 2 major gasoline pipelines are offline. And, they quote we have a 21 day supply of gasoline in the US.
How many of them were already offline - before the storm?

Bill Jennings said:
Dean, if you've never ridden before, get thee to an MSF course. Much to think about riding bikes. (been riding 20 years, over 250,000mi, 4 accidents, one hurt)

I have been riding all my life, I have had a V-Max, 900 Eliminator, YZF-600 a long with all sorts of dirt bikes. The only bike that got the better of me was the YZF, still have the scares from that one. Today I bought a 2002 Suzuki 800 for $2,800.00. Guy was selling it due to new baby coming, only had 1188 miles on it, poor guy!

Ed Guthrie said:
It's a regional thing.

On the other hand, California pulls there fuel off the west coast refineries, which explains why California prices haven't twitched but on the Eastern US seaboard prices have skyrocketed.

It's up about 30 cents since Monday morning. ARCO (usually the cheapest)
is at $3.00 for regular. The ARCO refinery is about 20 miles from where I
live.

greg

Dean said:
I have been riding all my life, Today I bought a 2002 Suzuki 800 for $2,800.00.

Great, have fun! My personal take on bikes, "Saves gas, hauls a$$!"

Steve said:
A friend of mine who runs an offshore oil rig supply company tells me Grand Isle, LA is gone, but the support operations once based there has been moved 50 miles west to Fresh Water City, LA and the Gulf rigs not shutdown before the storm should be back in operation in a very short time. There were some losses, but there are still a lot of rigs out there that are operational. The biggest problem is locating oil company employees who reside along the coast and have been displaced ... or worse.

one oil company employee (helicopter pilot for Chevron) is here on the 99s tour with us. she lives in Phoenix but commutes to LA (7 on, 7 off). it's unbelieveable. she's kept pretty chipper throughout the trip but I know it's gotta be hanging over her head big time. I'm just dumbfounded by all this (every time I go away something really major happens - 9/11, the London subway bombings... what gives?)).

just checking in, hope everyone here is ok. (it's 9 AM Friday)

fgcason said:
There was one station the tv showed this morning in the SE that was $6.00/gallon.

That's just simple straightforward beligerant arrogant corporate terrorism at it's finest. I'm not sure who's worse, the bomb toting terrorists or the corporate greed terrorists. They're pretty much the same group of people. They just have a different way of ruining your life but as long as your life gets screwed up and they accomplish what they want, they're happy.

$0.40-0.50 jump in prices here since friday. One station was $3.00/gallon yesterday afternoon. It's going to get worse...

Frank, w/o a doubt, I know who is worse. I'd much rather pay through the nose for a product than be subjected to someone who wants to bury me or cause blood and guts carnage. Besides, I can always chose to shop elsewhere or simply not buy their product. The bomb-toters, I have no choice.

Southwestern suburbs of Chicago this morning, prices ranged from $2.99 to $3.49 for regular.
It used to be too much trouble to submit expense sheets for mileage reimbursement at work. Not any more!
EH

Last week at this time I filled up my car for $2.79/gal. Today it was $3.79/gal, a whole dollar more. Yikes. I'm afraid to ask what the avgas is up to. Someone I know filled up at ISP yesterday for $5/gal.

Well, now, if I had wondered whether the run-up in pricing was substantially opportunism, my wondering is o-ver.

Went yesterday to Austin (from Dallas) for football game (my concession to the price of gas being that I took CJane's Jetta instead of my Caddy). Gas everywhere in Dallas is $3.09/$3.19/$3.29, including heretofore unseen consistency in pricing from station to station and from one part of town to another. in particular, I watched carefully as I drove through the southern sector of town, where gas is typically 8-10 cents less than in my immediate area (not known for budget pricing). that, alone, was curious.

I had to get about 20 miles south of town before I crossed the dime line- suddnely, all the stations were at $2.99/$3.09/$3.19.

Somewhere around Temple, about 130 miles south of Dallas, I must have crossed another "dime line," because started seeing the $2.89/$2.99/$3.09.

I stopped somewhere near there, bought premium for $3.04, and felt really crafty for doing so. Then, I saw Troy, wherethe Exxon had $2.79 regular unleaded.

Today, my sister-in-law called me, told me that they had gassed up in Austin at $2.69.

And my friend in Louisiana (a refugee, but one comfortably ensconced in a B&B in Natchitoches) told me gas in Alexandria is $2.57/gallon.

I am all for a fair profit and reasonable returns, but the run-up in prices anticipated and generally outpaced the increase in UG futures, while the substantial drop in Unleaded gasoline contracts (over $0.20 on Friday, IIRC) has not been seen at he pumps at all.

In any event, there is no reason why gas should be 30 to 40 cents higher in Dallas than in Austin or Temple or Troy. Or (for that matter), 52 cents higher than Alexandria, Louisiana.

Ridiculous.

An update, my friends, to remind you that some aggressive consumerism is called-for.

Gas prices rose, in lockstep with increases in the ULG (unleaded gasoline) futures market, during the week following Katrina's impact, increasing in most areas by about $0.55 / gallon. Most of these increases, mind, came before any purchases or shipments increased the cost to the dealer of the fuel in the ground.

The drop in the futures (defining wholesale cost) has been almost as precipitous; as this is written, the price of Unleaded gasoline for October delivery has fallen to below what it was on 8/26, before Katrina and her market effects hit. On 8/26, ULG-October closed at $1.85; today's settlement price is $1.785, down another $0.11 since yesterday. This continues what has been a continuous downward trend in ULG since September 1.

Informed consumers are better consumers.

Back