CNBC - What Happened To Blimps?

Interesting video!

I wonder if the word "blimp" is an onomatopoeia?

Don't have to watch the video, but in short, UAV's killed them. I could put a small UAV at every major sporting event in the US for less than the cost of a single blimp.

Sorry ... CNBC is on my blocked list ...

I was just surfing around looking for personal aerostats and not finding much that was small and affordable.

The idea came into my head that a small dirigible or gas bag would be a fun way to land on things usually reserved for helicopters.

No matter what, those things are always going to be a liability in high wind or severe weather. Not easy to get them indoors. Out of doors they're giant sails.

No matter what, those things are always going to be a liability in high wind or severe weather. Not easy to get them indoors. Out of doors they're giant sails.
Exactly, I’ve picked up pieces of one that got hit by a thunderstorm at night on the mooring and I’ve helped ferry one that had a landing incident.
They’re huge liabilities

I was just surfing around looking for personal aerostats and not finding much that was small and affordable.

The idea came into my head that a small dirigible or gas bag would be a fun way to land on things usually reserved for helicopters.

The most “affordable” option is a hot air airship, but they’re not cheap. Plus at a minimum you’re going to need 3 or 4 friends to help you with the thing on the ground

Outside of one airport in NJ where they would stage from, I only remember them hovering over sporting events. With COVID, there are no spectators to see them, so no need to have the airship overhead. Aerial cameras are now placed with a cable system- "Skycam" in one name for them, there are other brands too.

Back