Club vs renting

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
As a private pilot of three months' duration, I think I've moaned here previously about how the 172 in which I completed my checkride and was renting was damaged by another pilot a week after I got my certificate. Problem was/is, the (minor) repairs and engine teardown for the prop strike have had the airplane out of service going on three months now.

This has prompted me to explore other options. While I'd love to buy a plane or join a partnership, it's just not in the cards for the immediate future. I need to retire some debt before I consider that type of financial commitment, so ownership will have to wait at least 3-4 years most likely.

When I say I live in the middle of nowhere, I'm not kidding. It's a 30 minute drive to the airport where I was renting. There are several medium/smaller cities, all about an hours' drive away. While there are a few flight schools/FBOs within 30 minutes, they all suffer from the same problem as where I've been going: they're all one-man shows, with a single aircraft. As a result, the planes are frequently not available, and it's a PITA to even find out if they are - you have to get the owner on the phone, which is often not an easy proposition.

I was paying $120/hr wet for a 172N. It's a bit long in the tooth, but a nice enough airplane, with the 180 hp STC, a KLN 89B GPS, STEC 50, etc. He also has a 1971 C150 for $85/hr, which I've been flying, but it's not my favorite airplane. The seats are so worn out it's like sitting on concrete, and it's virtually impossible to take a normal-sized passenger and full fuel. In other words, as far as I'm concerned it's ok for tooling around the pattern alone, but to go anywhere, or take friends/family flying, not so much.

So, there's a flight school in Syracuse, an hour away, with three 172SPs. They are all very nicely equipped. They rent for $99/hr dry, with local 100LL going for about $6 a gallon...meaning it would cost on the order of $150 an hour to rent the things. They are nice, but not that nice.

I have located two flying clubs, sort of in the area - one in Syracuse <http://www.syracuseflyingclub.com/> and one in Ithaca <http://ehfc.net/index.html>. Syracuse is about an hour away, Ithaca a little further, and not a convenient drive (lots of hills and back roads).

I attended a recent meeting of the Syracuse club. There weren't many members present - just the officers and two or three others. They said there are 27 members, 22-23 of whom fly at least occasionally. Seemed like a pretty easy going group. The club has been in existence for 25+ years. They have a two airplanes, an '82 Warrior and a '78 Skylane. The Warrior will have about 180 hours this year, the Skylane just under 300. The Warrior is billed at $95 per hour, the Skylane at $127. Every member I talked to said there are rarely any scheduling conflicts, the planes may be taken for several days if scheduled in advance, the planes are well-maintained and both are very well equipped. Non-refundable membership fee is $500, and monthly dues are $75.

The East Hill club, by comparison, charges $400 up front plus $700 refundable deposit, and monthly dues of $50. They have more airplanes than the Syracuse club, with eight aircraft: two 152s, three 172s, a Mooney 201, a Citabria and a LSA. The hourly rates are slightly higher as well. $85 for the 152s, $95 for the Citabria and the LSA, $103 for the 172s and $132 for the Mooney. They have considerably more members than the Syracuse club. Their requirements are a bit more onerous as well: no grass fields, night flights only with annual night checkride, annual checkride in each plane. The Syracuse club only requires an annual checkout for the 182, otherwise the FARs regulate. This club also has been around for many years, and seems to enjoy an excellent reputation. Both clubs offer online scheduling, a big plus as far as I'm concerned. Both provide full insurance coverage for members.

I anticipate that in the immediate future, I will be flying between 50-75 hours annually. I plan on 3-4 trips per year in the 200 nm range, and probably 1-2 around 800 miles. The rest will be local flying. Haven't decided if I'll pursue an instrument rating.

So here's my dilemma. Do I just keep renting, or join a club which requires a one hour (or longer) drive each way, in exchange for more and better access to nicer airplanes? How do the prices seem compared to other parts of the country? What am I overlooking? How much less would you fly if you had to spend two hours on the road to do it? What would you do?

What sort of cancellation policy do they have. The club I belong to you lose 10% of your deposit when you resign membership ($1200 deposit so I lose $120 - that's a good chunk of change) Can you see if you can join and see if you find it worthwhile. You may find the drive relaxing before you have to fly. Can you go get the plane the day before a trip and "park" it at an airport closer to your house so if you're taking friends/family they wouldn't have to make that 1 hour trip....would someone in the club be willing to bring the airplane down to your local airport for a "fee" (Figure a 2 hour drive is 120 miles - Normal car that'd be $20 in gas which would add up and get tiring)

If you are planning on anything more than day trips, then the club is the way to go as they will likely be more willing to let the plane go for a few days than a rental airplane.

The club with more airplanes may be more willing to allow this and fit into your schedule, plus a bit better option to use a plane that fits your mission. C-152 for touch and goes around the pattern and the Mooney for cross country flights.

But you probably will fly at the closer club more often and can use the commuting money saved for more flight time.

I think my preference would be to try the smaller/closer/less expensive club. Really the only down side I see is the higher possibility of scheduling conflicts

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I always spend about 30 - 45 minutes driving (to Petaluma) with no traffic, and sometimes 1.5 hours in traffic.

And I don't live in the middle of nowhere.

Last weekend I also drove almost an hour to meet pilots at a new (small) airport.

Driving, to me, is not a factor. I guess it depends what you drive. It is your time, but in terms of cost, how much more are you spending on gas / wear and tear? Are these other airports VFR more often because of their location? In my case, as you saw, switching airports would benefit me due to weather.

Perhaps research the winds / crosswinds / clouds at each airport you are considering? You would want the one that offered the best chance for a "go" decision, especially if you may not do instrument training.

Another thing to consider, since you are paying for Hobbs time, is how busy the airport is. I sat in a training aircraft, in the back seat, in Palo Alto, for over 45 minutes with the engine on just waiting to be cleared for takeoff. And we were second in line of 7 planes. That pilot was paying for all that time while we watched plane after plane after plane land in front of us.

That is a "hidden benefit" of training somewhere small, untowered, or not too busy - saving Hobbs money.

Kimberly

It's about 20 minutes to OLM from my house. I belong to a club based there with 3 planes (we're looking for another 172 to replace the one we sold a few months ago). If I decided to leave the club I could sell my membership, so I wouldn't be out any of the $1200 I paid for a membership 11 years ago.

I'm happy with the club. The planes are well maintained, we have a 172N (w/ 180 hp), a 182P and an Arrow. So you can do the high performance and complex endorsements with club aircraft. Didn't need an IR to fly the Arrow, either. If you fly enough to amortize the monthly dues into your hourly rate it is much less expensive than renting from the FBOs. Another advantage is that there isn't a daily minimum if you take a plane for a few days. Just the Hobbs time.

East hill club looks great, especially if the mooney 201 is available to you. I would love having a club like that nearby.

Ignoring all else...

Your 800nm "missions" really need the 201 or the 182.

One will carry huge mountains of stuff. The other you'll be carrying a man-purse and one change of clothes.

;)

(Says the 182 driver who's probably more than a bit biased...)

Another thought... If its a "tie" in your head, ask 'em how they handle maintenance issues 800nm from home. All these 30 year old airframes have things happen sooner or later on long X-Cs. In all my flying I've only broken down far from home twice. Once was a club where the owner was easy to reach.

He cussed about the ongoing plug fouling problem on the phone and then said, "Is the mechanic there? I want hotter plugs installed and I want that airplane fixed right for good so you can come home at the end of the week! Put him on the phone."

Apparently credit card numbers were exchanged because when I called mid-week to check up on the airplane's status the FBO receptionist said it was done and told me where to pick up the keys on Saturday morning at the end of my business trip.

The other was a broken plug wire on my 182 at KLBF on my way to KOSH last year. That one was a whip out the credit card, call the co-owners, and grab a rental car home deal. Not a club, so... Not as useful of a data-point for you.

I guess the moral of the story is, all things equal, find out which organization is fanatical about maintenance overall, and backs it up with bucks when you're on the road. If they have to round up ten people on some committee to vote to get you home, forget 'em.

Probably all you'll have to do to tell is go look over the "fleets" carefully and you'll see the general condition of the aircraft. It's not hard to see differences in well-maintained vs. do-whatever-just-to-get-by maintenance.

Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to go with the Syracuse club. Ironically enough, the 172 I was renting from a local FBO, which was out of service for three months, just returned to service a couple days ago. I had arranged to go to Syracuse yesterday to check out the club planes. As it turned out, it was the first really nice day here in a while, so I scheduled the 172 to fly the 45 nm trip.

Arriving at the airport with plenty of time, I found the 172...not there. Seems someone showed up wanting a lesson, so the owner just took it. Grrrr. It had a new prop and new engine...and a half-dozen minor, but annoying, new squawks, including the #1 comm radio transmitting gibberish most of the time, according to ATC. Double-grrrr...especially since the owner is an A&P IA.

So I made it to SYR 30 minutes late. Fortunately, the club officer was still there, showing another prospective-member around. Turned out the 182 wasn't there. A member had flown it out of state and got grounded by weather and had to drive back. The officer said as far as the club was concerned, no big deal, and no extra charges for the member. The Warrior turned out to have 12,000 airframe hours, which nearly caused me to change my mind. But on inspection, it's in good condition, looks to be quite well-maintained, and has a fairly recent engine overhaul. And Nate, I did some brief checking, and their A&P guy is quite well-regarded.

The club has between $50-$60k in the bank, with a little over half in an engine fund. Seems reasonable enough to me, although I don't know enough about such things to really venture an opinion. For only having two planes, both with relatively recent engine overhauls, and a loan on the 182, it sounds ok I guess.

I wish the East Hill club was closer to me. And as someone mentioned in a PM, the Penn Yan club sounds excellent as well. Unfortunately, it's just too far away. But the reality is, if it's a PITA to drive there -- which to Ithaca from my house, it is -- then I doubt I would go often enough to justify it, even though that club has more planes from which to choose. But the 182 will certainly meet my needs for those rare 800 nm trips.

Kim, good point about how busy the airport is. Although SYR is a class C, it's rarely busy at all these days. Yesterday was only my second flight there, but I've flown in and out of there on the airlines a bit, and the longest delay I can ever recall was holding short a couple minutes for landing traffic. They do get a bit more snow than where I live, but they're known to have top-notch plowing procedures and teams.

And Sara, good idea. In fact, I did ask, and they don't care at all if I were to bring the plane to my in-town airport the night before an out of town trip.

Worst case scenario...it's only $500.:rolleyes2:

Wow, what a day.

So - when is your first flight? And will you have passengers? I actually want to schedule a solo flight with myself on purpose, I feel like I'm not keeping my skills sharp with passengers distracting me.

Kimberly

Wow, what a day.

So - when is your first flight? And will you have passengers? I actually want to schedule a solo flight with myself on purpose, I feel like I'm not keeping my skills sharp with passengers distracting me.

And I didn't even include the part about approaching SYR for runway 28 from the east, looking DIRECTLY into the setting sun. With the haze and sun, I could not see anything! Tried looking through the visors, under the visors, sunglasses on and off...could see straight down just fine, but could not identify the runway. Fortunately, even though it's class C, no one else was around at the time. I kept asking the tower for vectors to the runway, and was honestly about 15 seconds from telling the tower it wasn't going to work, and either flying back home or going outside the class C to orbit until the sun set further. Finally spotted the runway when I was about a half mile out...well off to my right. Was able to correct and land without incident. Of course, at the same time i was crapping my pants because I couldn't see, ATC informs me the #1 comm radio was garbled and only transmitting every other message. I was too preoccupied with finding the runway to switch radios right then.

As for the club, interestingly, the officer I spoke with said they don't require a checkout in the Warrior since I have PA28 time -- but he "highly recommends" it. They have two or three CFIs who aren't members, but are authorized to give checkouts and instruction in club planes. Being new, I don't want to pi$$ anyone off yet, so I'll schedule a checkout. And for the 182, just as soon as time and finances allow!

The biggest obstacle will be the security clearance. Since it's a class C airport with lots of airline traffic, apparently it involves fingerprints, an FBI background check, and talking to all my ex-wives/girlfriends...or at least the first two parts. They said to expect two weeks after I submit all the information. And apparently if you dare walk around the ramp without a security badge, you risk getting shot/tasered/hauled off to Guantanamo. Totally different from my usual little airports, where I have a key card for one, and the other, everyone knows which gate is never locked.

I went up with my third passenger last night, in the 172, after doing one landing coming back from Syracuse to regain night currency. She said, "Well, there isn't much to see except for lights." LOL!

I personally wouldn't mind the longer drive if it meant driving to the sanity of always having what I wanted. That other non-sense you mentioned makes the hour plus drive worth it just from a stress and conveinance standpoint. IMHO!

You can always move.... ;-)

I'd go with the Syracuse club unless the drive time to East Hill was only a few minutes more. I would ask if at least part of the non-refundable" $500 could be returned if you're not satisfied during the first six months or so, it would be a bummer to pay up and join only to find that it wasn't for you. Given the long commute I'd also seriously look into going into a partnership with one or two other pilots on a local airplane. You'd probably get to do a lot more flying that way and have more say in what kind of plane/avionics you flew. The downsides are more hassles to deal with and only one plane to choose from. Or maybe try the club for a couple years while working on putting together such a partnership.

Back