Cloudahoy debrief shows me off the runway!

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
The GPS on my iPad musta went crappy for awhile as apparently I landed the 172R off the left side of the runway this morning. In the grass! With a landing and takeoff. Oops! I swear I didn't do it! I swear!

:eek:

I sure hope that Cloudahoy never gets to be useable in a court room.

Love the ability to see what I did though. I have a nice track of me practicing S-turns over a road . Looked good in the airplane and on the screen to. Woohoo! I have not done those in years.

David

Attachments

• sturns.PNG
    sturns.PNG
    690.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I don't know about CloudAhoy, but Hubby once wrote one of those applications that shows your location on an approach plate. So, do you need to calibrate CloudAhoy to your plates? Could it be that the calibration was off?

Same thing happened to me when I used just the internal iPhone GPS. When I added the Bad Elf, it showed right down the centerline.

Internal GPS seems to work OK but not so good on the ground.

Cheers

Last time I used the iphone and it was good. This time I used the Bad Elf on the iPad. I believe the other two were alright. It probably just lost some accuracy for a short time.

David

The GPS on my iPad musta went crappy for awhile as apparently I landed the 172R off the left side of the runway this morning. In the grass! With a landing and takeoff. Oops! I swear I didn't do it! I swear!

:eek:

Love the ability to see what I did though. I have a nice track of me practicing S-turns over a road . Looked good in the airplane and on the screen to. Woohoo! I have not done those in years.

David

If you apply quantum mechanics, is it possible part of the plane was off the runway?:dunno:

Run cloud ahoy in your car, long distance, then play it back on google earth and see how many times you left the road or crossed over the center line into oncoming traffic.

There was a local story about a kid out on bail wearing a GPS device. The cops REALLY wanted him back in jail and they busted him for violating probation by leaving the house at night. The log showed that he moved from inside his house to 1/4 mile east to 1/4 mile west, and back to his house within about 30 seconds.

He was released on bail again.

Last edited:
My Garmin can pinpoint the airplane on the airport and shows it on a taxiway diagram. Handy little thing.

The iPad and iPhone use aGPS which IMHO sucks. At least once above ground. If you fly you need a dedicated GPS like ANY of the Bluetooth pucks

The iPad and iPhone use aGPS which IMHO sucks. At least once above ground. If you fly you need a dedicated GPS like ANY of the Bluetooth pucks

Care to elaborate on the block diagram of an aGPS receiver and explain why the dedicated GPS receiver module inside the chipset suddenly stops working if the cellular network is unreadable, in your fantasy world? ;)

There is a natural inprecision in GPS. It has always been there. In the 90's the military actually degraded the signal on purpose and so it was something like within 500 or 1000 feet if I remember correctly. Then DGPS for boating came out and WAAS for flying which are ground based setups that make it more accurate. I believe during the Clinton(not the son) the military stopped degrading the signal but it is still not that precise. This is why the military often uses a ground based laser unit for taking out a car or small building. The military also has a more accurate GPS receiver, something about it using two bands versus one for civilians. The horizontal precision is within 30 feet which is not too bad. However if your runway is 75 feet wide 30 feet off will put you in the grass or to the side of the runway. Also some GPS units are better than others. With WAAS or DPGS it is within 3 feet. Reminds me of a story. When I put my first chart plotter in my boat the installer came to me all upset because he had gotten a call from a Donzi cigarette racing boat owner who sunk his boat after the autopilot caused his boat to hit a channel marker buoy(one of those big metal floating ones). The owner accused him of putting the autopilot in wrong. After I stopped laughing I told him it was the owners fault. I told him to call the owner up and ask him what waypoint he used for the autopilot. Sure enough he used the channel marker.

Doug

Back