Closet CFI

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
So, my CFI is expiring next month. I haven't taught a minute of flight since 2000 but re-up it every other year anyway. Initially I figured I put way too much effort into my CFI, CFII, and MEI to just let them expire.

An added benefit is its sort of nice to stay abreast of industry developments as they are covered in the renewal courses I do online.

But now I'm starting to wonder if its worth it. $200 could be used elsewhere and I don't really know if I still feel motivated to do it next month.

How many of you have CFI's you don't use?

Hey, I paid too! But only once for a lifetime of renewals, and a lot less than $200.

I let mine go. No desire to use them, and it was more the time hassle then the money. My helicopter CFI was useless(way uncurrent) and my glider CFI is easily renewed(any CFI checkride or new CFI rating renews them all) if I ever want to suffer the indignity of 2-33 back seats again. Remember CFIs if you can't prove you've done security training every year you are a criminal.:rolleyes2: Move on.

If you let it expire, and ever decide you want it back, you'll have to do a CFI practical test in order to reinstate it. If you just pay the $125 for the Gleim FIRC every two years (including them taking care of the paperwork, or only $100 if you do the course and then take the paperwork to the FSDO or FIRE DPE yourself), you won't ever have to do a CFI practical test again. I remember when the FIRC's were in-person only -- there were always a lot of air carrier and corporate pilots who never used it but wanted to keep it from expiring to avoid a reinstatement ride. And that Gleim FIRC includes the TSA Security Awareness Training (you can do the free TSA course on line in the year between renewals).

I'm doing Gleim right now. It is still slightly boring, but the information is good.

The unfortunate thing is that every two years the FAA re-invents instruction. It is getting like the medical field where you spend more time filling out useless forms rather than transferring knowledge.

American Flyers. One time fee. Renew for life.

Everyone I know who let their CFI lapse regrets doing so. Just saying...even if you're not instructing now, you never know when you may want to use it again.

Just to have it i think but i hear ya when right now I'm kind of letting my real estate license go.. although that was only a few hundred and a test and 3 weeks of schooling.. CFI initial is nasty..

I cannot imagine why you would possibly let it expire. Do one of the flat rate pay once renew for life programs. You'll seriously be kicking yourself in the ass someday if you want it back.

How many of you have CFI's you don't use?

Me. I considered not renewing last year for various reasons but I did anyway. It wasn't close to $200 though. I think is was only $100. I took it to the FSDO myself though.

Another good reason to have a friend as an ASI Ops. ;)
I was under the impression that the "personal acquaintance" renewal by an ASI (Ops) was no longer an option, and the only options currently are activity (solo and practical test signoffs), CFI practical test, position involving evaluation of pilots, and FIRC -- none of which require having a friend in the FAA. Was that impression incorrect?

I was under the impression that the "personal acquaintance" renewal by an ASI (Ops) was no longer an option, and the only options currently are activity (solo and practical test signoffs), CFI practical test, position involving evaluation of pilots, and FIRC -- none of which require having a friend in the FAA. Was that impression incorrect?

As far as I know the regulation hasn't been changed. The current 8900.1 still allows renewal by an ASI based upon "personal knowledge of the applicant's knowledge and competency". Been that way for a long time.

§61.197 Renewal requirements for flight instructor certification.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots.

VOLUME 5 AIRMAN CERTIFICATION

CHAPTER 2 TITLE 14 CFR PART 61 CERTIFICATION OF PILOTS AND FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS

Section 12 Administer a Practical Test for a Title 14 CFR Part 61 Initial, Renewal, or Reinstatement for a Flight Instructor with a Sport Pilot Rating

5-536 GENERAL PROCEDURES FOR RENEWAL OR REINSTATEMENT.

4) At the discretion of an inspector, a current flight instructor certificate may be renewed without taking a practical test when the inspector has personal knowledge of the applicant’s knowledge and competency. An example of evidence that may be presented to support that personal knowledge would be a record of satisfactory completion of a pilot training course or related aviation-oriented work experience.

Last edited:
Let mine expire several years ago. Have never missed them for even one minute.

I am a Captain at a 135 certificate holder. I'm going to look into seeing if our POI will sign me off. In the 121 world it was no problem as long as you were a Captain.

Speaking of which...

I had a flight where we took off in a CRJ. Me in the left seat and FO flying. We took off and he couldn't trim. Neither could I. We had a bunch of forward pressure to hold altitude. We slowed to relieve the pressure and dropped partial flaps.

We landed without event and there was no gate space for us in ORD as we were a return to gate and our gate was now taken.

Off to the penalty box we were sent and after engine shut down I went back to the cabin to explain as best I could what happened.

One pax was not happy and turns out he knew someone in the FAA. A week or two later our POI requests a debrief so now I'm in an office with the POI, my Chief Pilot, ALPA Rep, FO, Flight Attendant and some HR weenie.

The POI explained that a pax with connections drove this and he did the really care about it after reading the reports submitted...but his boss wanted the meeting, so here we were, I retold what happened and he asked a few questions which I answered.

When we were finished I stood up to shake his hand and mentioned my CFI was about expire and would he renew it. I happened to have an 8710 right there all filled out and he smiled and signed it.

Ah...the good old days.

As far as I know the regulation hasn't been changed. The current 8900.1 still allows renewal by an ASI based upon "personal knowledge of the applicant's knowledge and competency". Been that way for a long time.
I gather from the wording in 8900.1 (see below) that "personal knowledge" must have some demonstrable basis, such as those things mentioned in the regulation you quoted. I remember ASI's signing renewals without such specific evidence/criteria, and later being told that they could no longer do that without such.

Last edited:
I am a Captain at a 135 certificate holder. I'm going to look into seeing if our POI will sign me off.
Should do.
C. Section 61.197(a)(2)(ii). Individuals have asked FAA about the intent of the statement, “in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots” in § 61.197(a)(2)(ii) and whether it has the same meaning as the old provision in § 61.197(b). The FAA rewrote § 61.197 to expand the renewal provisions, mainly to include other PICs. For example, the following PICs, who regularly evaluate pilots, have the same reward provisions as a PIC in a part 121 operation:
· A PIC of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 135,
· Corporate PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 125 or part 133,
· U.S. military pilots who are PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft,
· U.S. military instructor pilots and examiners who regularly evaluate pilots, and
· Flight instructors who actively instruct in part 61 schools.
NOTE: FAA ASIs should review evidence of the applicant’s employment, which should clearly show that the applicant is in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots. ASIs also should have personal knowledge of the applicant’s flight instructing capabilities and qualities before renewing that applicant’s flight instructor certificate.

I am a Captain at a 135 certificate holder. I'm going to look into seeing if our POI will sign me off.
I've done that a number of times too but I always took a letter from the CP. Didn't do it last time because I was on a leave of absence and didn't want to push things.

I gather from the wording in 8900.1 (see below) that "personal knowledge" must have some demonstrable basis, such as those things mentioned in the regulation you quoted.

It doesn't say required or your words "must have".

Reread it again.

4) At the discretion of an inspector, a current flight instructor certificate may be renewed without taking a practical test when the inspector has personal knowledge of the applicant’s knowledge and competency. An example of evidence that may be presented to support that personal knowledge would be a record of satisfactory completion of a pilot training course or related aviation-oriented work experience.

I remember ASI's signing renewals without such specific evidence/criteria, and later being told that they could no longer do that without such.

Not true. See 8900.1, it's very specific in this matter.

Last edited:
Back