Close Encounters

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
the movie, I mean.

In the beginning scene, the missing flight 19 of TBM Avengers is located. A crewman proceeds to start the engine of one TBM.

After the engine fires, the crewman is shown advancing the *mixture*.

I’m fairly certain all big radials are started full rich. Is there any technical explanation on why this crewman might have been advancing the mixture after start, or is this simply theatrical error?

it's not a documentary. :)

sorry, couldn't resist. i'm the same way...looking for errors when 2-way comms are portrayed.

Yes, and in fact the following scene has some poor pilot-controller phraseology...

Guess I was just hoping some small detail wouldn’t take away from an otherwise superb film.

I thought your title was talking about how they moved around the running airplane; maybe it's just camera angle but a few times it looked to me in these films that the lineman was about to get whacked.

the movie, I mean.

In the beginning scene, the missing flight 19 of TBM Avengers is located. A crewman proceeds to start the engine of one TBM.

After the engine fires, the crewman is shown advancing the *mixture*.

I’m fairly certain all big radials are started full rich. Is there any technical explanation on why this crewman might have been advancing the mixture after start, or is this simply theatrical error?
Back in the day, I started R-1300 and R-1340 radials (by the checklist) with mixture off. Hit the starter, then introduce fuel via the electric primer button. When it catches, get off the primer and advance the mixture. That's the quick version.
Bob

I thought your title was talking about how they moved around the running airplane; maybe it's just camera angle but a few times it looked to me in these films that the lineman was about to get whacked.

I just watched it recently as well and that is exactly what I thought. Why the hell would you run up on a spinning prop like that???

Back