Close Call

London Gatwick last fall.

Edit: a description I found said Gatwick, but just remembered that Gatwick is out in the country, so that can’t be it…maybe London city airport?

Last edited:
London Gatwick last fall.

Edit: a description I found said Gatwick, but just remembered that Gatwick is out in the country, so that can’t be it…maybe London city airport?
london city s runway is 5000ft i doubt a 777 was operating there...............

Camera perspective makes it look closer than it is. My understanding of ATC rules is that the landing aircraft can be cleared as long as the departing aircraft is at least 3,000 feet down the runway. It appears that was the case here, so not sure why the 737 decided to go around.

Camera perspective makes it look closer than it is. My understanding of ATC rules is that the landing aircraft can be cleared as long as the departing aircraft is at least 3,000 feet down the runway. It appears that was the case here, so not sure why the 737 decided to go around.
It’s 6000 feet if either aircraft is a turbojet or weighs more than 12,500 lbs., AND the departing aircraft is airborne

Last edited:
Why would the 37 turn right across the wake from the 77? I’d be turning left.

Why would the 37 turn right across the wake from the 77? I’d be turning left.
Yeah. There was a serious cross wind blowing from left to right there. But there may have been other factors involved. Like he knew the 77 was going to be turning left. Hard to tell with that ‘telephoto’ perspective, but I think the 73 could have been easily ‘above’ the 77’s flight path the whole time.

6000 ft if using FAA rules. Looks like they have it to me.

Yeah. There was a serious cross wind blowing from left to right there. But there may have been other factors involved. Like he knew the 77 was going to be turning left. Hard to tell with that ‘telephoto’ perspective, but I think the 73 could have been easily ‘above’ the 77’s flight path the whole time.
The 737 hadn’t even crossed the threshold and the 777 was way down at the other end of the runway. The 737 would have been well above any wake turbulence produced by the 777.

The 737 hadn’t even crossed the threshold and the 777 was way down at the other end of the runway. The 737 would have been well above any wake turbulence produced by the 777.
Yeah. What do you make of those runway markings. Never seen anything like that. There's no numbers. And where do you figure the camera was that took the video?

Yeah. What do you make of those runway markings. Never seen anything like that. There's no numbers. And where do you figure the camera was that took the video?

Those look fairly standard, although the numbers are very hard to see due to the angle and distance. That runway appears to be 200 feet wide, which makes the spacing of the markings look a little off.

Seems like landing might have been safer than going around in this case. Whatever.

Seems like landing might have been safer than going around in this case. Whatever.
I'm beginning to wonder if the spacing behind the 777 wasn't the reason he went around. Maybe he was just not in a stable condition to land.

Yeah lots of foreshortening. Look how close the distance markers on the runway seem to be. The thing is longer than it appears. To many taxiways to be London City. That thing is essentially just a runway sitting out in a pond. It's not Gatwick either. Gatwick has displaced thesholds.

I think it's the same incident as this one... That would make it Osaka.

Last edited:
Yeah lots of foreshortening. Look how close the distance markers on the runway seem to be. The thing is longer than it appears. To many taxiways to be London City. That thing is essentially just a runway sitting out in a pond. It's not Gatwick either. Gatwick has displaced thesholds.

I think it's the same incident as this one... That would make it Osaka.
Wrong kind of airplane and it landed instead of going around

You're right, but it is the same airport. They're also landing in the opposite direction, but the buildings in the distance are the same.

Back