Clogged primer nozzel lycoming

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Question, how often does a primer nozzle get clogged on Lycoming engines. Seems like 4 of 6 cylinders of an O-435 I am working on get good prime. The other two cylinders do not seem to get as much fuel. I say 4 of 6 because lower plugs are wet with fuel. Engine has not been started in 2 years. I posted starting problems on earlier post. Engine has not run in 2yrs. Rust in cylinders grounding plugs is a problem I am trying to correct. Just wondering about primer nozzle and how often they get plugged.

Don't know the answer but I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of guys only feed primer lines to a cylinder or two. They start fine. Other guys don't employ primers at all and they start, too.

What kind of plane uses an 0-435? I've never seen one.

Question, how often does a primer nozzle get clogged on Lycoming engines. Seems like 4 of 6 cylinders of an O-435 I am working on get good prime. The other two cylinders do not seem to get as much fuel. I say 4 of 6 because lower plugs are wet with fuel. Engine has not been started in 2 years. I posted starting problems on earlier post. Engine has not run in 2yrs. Rust in cylinders grounding plugs is a problem I am trying to correct. Just wondering about primer nozzle and how often they get plugged.

Those primers are very difficult to clean. Much easier just to replace them. They get coked up by fuel that boils off inside them when the engine heats up, leaving a residue that builds up over repeated cycles.

Dan

`Remove them and soak them over night in Hoppies #9 rinse, inspect and re-install.
If you find hard carbon in the orifice that will not soak loose, use 1 bristle of a wire brush to break it loose.

Those primers are very difficult to clean. Much easier just to replace them. They get coked up by fuel that boils off inside them when the engine heats up, leaving a residue that builds up over repeated cycles.

Dan

I've used a liquid meant for gun powder residue removal. Don't remember the name but it worked very well.

Don't know the answer but I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of guys only feed primer lines to a cylinder or two. They start fine. Other guys don't employ primers at all and they start, too.

What kind of plane uses an 0-435? I've never seen one.

The plane is a Piper Stinson with constant speed prop. I thought it was a O-435, will check data plate today when I'm at the airport. Could be wrong on the O-435

Dan

Thanks, I'm guessing they are not real expensive

`Remove them and soak them over night in Hoppies #9 rinse, inspect and re-install.
If you find hard carbon in the orifice that will not soak loose, use 1 bristle of a wire brush to break it loose.

Might have him try soaking when he get annual done.

Interesting. I don't know much about Stinsons and have forgotten most of that.

Last edited:
Interesting. A Stinson with a C/S prop would have me guessing that it was a Continental 0-470 but anything's possible. I don't know much about Stinsons and have forgotten most of that.

Rocker covers have L on them so I'm guessing Lycoming. It's a 6 cylinder. It's a neat plane, fabric fuselage, aluminum wings and rudder. I bet it has a real short take off roll.

Last edited:
I googled it. 0-435 and Stinsons came right up. I learned something today. Now I can go back to sleep!

Back