Clogged Pitot Tube?

Gwt9678

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Gt1009
I'm having some trouble with my airspeed indicator, and I'm about at wits end with it now! About 3 weeks ago it was reading 10 knots or so higher than normal. Had it rebuilt and that seemed to fix the problem. Went to fly it for the first time since today, pulled it out of the hangar, and the airspeed indicator started going up, and kept going until it hit about 70 mph! Pushed the plane back in the hangar, and the airspeed went back down to zero.

I'm guessing there's something in the pitot/static system. What does the POA community think is my most likely culprit?

I'm having some trouble with my airspeed indicator, and I'm about at wits end with it now! About 3 weeks ago it was reading 10 knots or so higher than normal. Had it rebuilt and that seemed to fix the problem. Went to fly it for the first time since today, pulled it out of the hangar, and the airspeed indicator started going up, and kept going until it hit about 70 mph! Pushed the plane back in the hangar, and the airspeed went back down to zero.

I'm guessing there's something in the pitot/static system. What does the POA community think is my most likely culprit?

Pitot is blocked. The decreasing static pressure as you climb will drive the indicator up.

Slug of water in the pitot or static system? As the water moves around during ground movement it could generate spurious readings in the ASI.

I got something in mine once, reaffirmed teaching folks to do a few laps in the pattern without looking at ANY instruments, as well as airspeed alive checks on the roll out.

After landing and calling my AP, we popped a inspection cover off, disconnected the hose going to the pitot, put a compressor to it and blew the thing out, hooked it back up and was good to go. *if it’s a IFR ship, this may require a new pitot static check after.

Back