Clock repair

mapasha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N1915W
Any suggestions on getting a Wakmann 8 day windup clock repaired. Website, email or phone number would be very helpful.
If you wind it up, it will run a few seconds then stop and so on. Probably needs a good cleaning and adjustment.
I know I can buy a new digital clock but I like the wind up mechanism and style of a mechanical clock.

Thanks,
Pasha

I took mine to an old fashioned clock repair shop. He was able to rebuild a spring. I don't know how many of those kind of shops are still out there. I could never find any aviation type shops that would work on it.

You need the services of a horologist.

Your local Jeweler should be able to advise you who in your area repairs watches clocks etc.

Ask these guys, it's like the POA for all things time

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php#/forumsite/20758

Your local Jeweler should be able to advise you who in your area repairs watches clocks etc.

Sadly many of them are hard pressed to change a Quartz battery, let alone service a manual, God forbid automatic, movement.

I'd ask on that forum, finding folks to service real time pieces is like trying to find hens teeth.

Sadly many of them are hard pressed to change a Quartz battery, let alone service a manual, God forbid automatic, movement.
For years we had Gearld's jewelers here in town that repaired the 8 day clocks I took to them, about 6-8 months ago I took one in, I was told that G/pa was retired and no longer worked in the shop. I asked what he was doing now, His grandson told me he was at home not doing much. I handed him the clock and told him to take this to G/pa, and tell him I needed him, a week later I got a call to come get my clock, ----- there was no charge..
Sadly we lost G/pa Gearld about a month ago.

It's really a dying art.

I'm just wishing all of my clocks and not just some of them had WWV/WWV-B receivers in them and that they weren't the cheap chipset that can't read the DST flag in the tones. I hate setting clocks. So many excellent RF-based time sources these days, the days of setting clocks manually should have been over with long ago.

From a thread about 12 days ago:

Years ago, I sent my 8 day wind-up to Jacobs Instument Repair in Wichita..."the clock doc" as I call him. They overhauled it and after 12 years it still only loses about 3 minutes/week.

I think it was about $175...sure I could've bought a digital for that money but I love the nostalgia of the Wakmann...and, yes, they were made by Brietling.

Every other clock/watch/timer known to mankind is inferior to the 8 day wind-up. The 8 day gives you important information that no other timepiece does. And that is, if you hop into your airplane and it's not running, then it's been too ****ing long since you last flew! :)

(This post blatantly cut and pasted from a thread from about two years ago when this question was asked)

Thanks everyone. I have several leads to explore.

I have a friend (yeah, hard to believe) in Arvada who is a clock/watch repairman ... artist, actually ... if interested, I can inquire about his willingness to look at your clock.

All assistance is appreciated.

Any suggestions on getting a Wakmann 8 day windup clock repaired. Website, email or phone number would be very helpful.
If you wind it up, it will run a few seconds then stop and so on. Probably needs a good cleaning and adjustment.
I know I can buy a new digital clock but I like the wind up mechanism and style of a mechanical clock.

Thanks,
Pasha

I found it easier and less expensive to buy a used functioning clock on eBay, it looks almost like the one that came out of my 1959 Cessna and it works, like many, I like the old school winding mechanism. Seems that some on eBay specialize in selling refurbished aviation clocks.

Back