Climbing in a bank, hard on the engine?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Had an interesting discussion with someone about climbing and keeping the engine cool. Is it hard on the engine to be climbing while in a constant bank (15 to 30 degrees) for a few minutes?

Diana said:
Had an interesting discussion with someone about climbing and keeping the engine cool. Is it hard on the engine to be climbing while in a constant bank (15 to 30 degrees) for a few minutes?
If you're at Vy, full throttle and full rich, the engine won't know or care if you're in a bank or not. All it wants it cooling airflow. And I doubt the airflow through the cowling is significantly different at a moderate bank than it is wings level. Get slower, and things may get hot, but because of airspeed, not bank angle.

Ken Ibold said:
If you're at Vy, full throttle and full rich, the engine won't know or care if you're in a bank or not. All it wants it cooling airflow. And I doubt the airflow through the cowling is significantly different at a moderate bank than it is wings level. Get slower, and things may get hot, but because of airspeed, not bank angle.

Thanks Ken, that's pretty much what I thought, too.

Diana said:

Don't sweat it, there's virtually no difference between climbing straight and in a turn at the same airspeed. The AOA will be slightly higher (like a couple degrees max) but the airflow through the cowling will be virtually identical.

Will it make any difference in lubrication to the high side of the motor?

pete177 said:
Will it make any difference in lubrication to the high side of the motor?

If you are in a coordinated turn the airplane does not know you are in a turn.

In other works "No".

From a maintenance / engineering point of view the engine was designed to do this. If you were to read part 33 on how engines recieve their certification you would be shocked. The manufactues put engines thru hell and back before they are certificed.

Stache

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. That confirms what I had originally thought.

Ahh...(light comes on:))....good point:)

Greg Bockelman said:
If you are in a coordinated turn the airplane does not know you are in a turn.

In other works "No".

Back