Climb-o-riffic!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Wow... Check out this video of CubCrafters' Carbon Cub taking off. That climb angle is insane! The camera is located about 50 ft behind where the plane lifted off, but you can still see the top of the plane from the ground while it's climbing... Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5jdAsYwuM

:goofy:

Did anyone see a windsock? I figured he must have had a nice headwind!

With that wind, I'm pretty sure he hit a 0 groundspeed for a little while near the top of the climb.

Did anyone see a windsock? I figured he must have had a nice headwind!

No wind day at the open house, and the carbon cub will climb like that until it runs out of gas.

but it was light that day 5 gal, of gass each tank. 1 pilot.

awesome little aircraft with a 220 horse engine.

Last edited:
What parts of the Cub are carbon? Airframe?

What parts of the Cub are carbon? Airframe?

"Carbon Cub" was last year's Sport Cub with several parts changed from metal to carbon fiber and other things made lighter too. Cowling and spinner are now carbon, and the tail gear changed from steel to aluminum.

Then, they hung a 220hp engine on the front. :D

Then, the weight-saving improvements were added to the Sport Cub, which is now the "Sport Cub S2" (which is, unfortunately, still stuck at 100hp.)

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Carbon Cub enter production as the new Top Cub (or maybe a completely new model) next year... :fcross:

Its nice, but if I'm going to spend over $100K for an airplane, its not going to be on that one!

Back