Clearwater FL crash into mobile home park

I love the looks of a low wing, but having “both” be an option is certainly a strong point on my Skylane. NOT claiming it’s a cure all or safer, just a little more idiot resistant. Notice I didn’t say proof!

And that might be important after the pilot bashes his forehead into the wing a few times...
:biggrin:
Have you been spying on me doing my preflight? . Screw the T-shirt! I have plenty of scars to prove it…

*If* it as many are speculating, I have one word.

Checklist.

One thing you knew right away when training in a Tomahawk was there are two tanks for fuel. The selector was staring at you.

Grumman also. Fuel selector up high and visible.

Very similar accident happened not too far away in Lakeland, FL about 3 years ago. Had a CFI and pilot student on board. Also a Bonanza.

juancolirio or whatever said the bo in question had tip tanks. I presume that further complicates the tank selection kerfuffle at night on those old timey selectors.

Tangentially related to ergonomics, my personal favorite is the electrical motor manual crank access is behind the passenger seat. No way I eff with such a thing in IMC electrical out. I'm landing gear up if I'm LIFR, getting my insurance check and the Feds can 709 me for all I care. I'm not spatial D morting on account on some petty functionary's penchant for unnuanced procedural pedantry.

juancolirio or whatever said the bo in question had tip tanks. I presume that further complicates the tank selection kerfuffle at night on those old timey selectors.
My Bo has tip tanks. You can't select them, there is a small pump on each side which has to be activated to pump to the main on that side. If you didn't plan ahead and pump them long before needing the fuel, you'd be screwed!

Back