Clearing turns

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
No, this is not another DE question. Today's tale of aviation from the nation's heartland goes something like this:
Friends keep their plane at MDW. They were cleared to taxi to one of the longer runways typically used by the airlines. They pulled onto the pad, as far "out of the way" as possible to do their runup, because there was a Southwest jet ahead of them and they wanted to be sure they were well clear of any thrust/turbulence, etc. As they are doing their runup, another Southwest jet appears to their left, and turns straight for them. As they watch and pray, the second SW jet makes a wide turn off the centerline, its wing passing over the top of their aircraft, giving new meaning to the term "clearing turn."
Is it possible the SW pilot never saw them?
E

EHITCH said:
No, this is not another DE question. Today's tale of aviation from the nation's heartland goes something like this:
Friends keep their plane at MDW. They were cleared to taxi to one of the longer runways typically used by the airlines. They pulled onto the pad, as far "out of the way" as possible to do their runup, because there was a Southwest jet ahead of them and they wanted to be sure they were well clear of any thrust/turbulence, etc. As they are doing their runup, another Southwest jet appears to their left, and turns straight for them. As they watch and pray, the second SW jet makes a wide turn off the centerline, its wing passing over the top of their aircraft, giving new meaning to the term "clearing turn."
Is it possible the SW pilot never saw them?
E

He saw them, hence the wide turn off centerline. This is a case of playing on the big boys field. I've taxied under big iron wings before, can't see why they can't taxi over small planes as long as they are aware of their jet wash.

Henning said:
He saw them, hence the wide turn off centerline. This is a case of playing on the big boys field. I've taxied under big iron wings before, can't see why they can't taxi over small planes as long as they are aware of their jet wash.

If there are separation standards for airplanes taxiing on the ground I don't know if there's a vertical as well as horizontal requirement. It sounds to me like the SW pilot was aware of the smaller plane, but it's hard to tell if the "fly-over" was intentional. I'll bet it looked pretty scary from your friend's cockpit.

lancefisher said:
If there are separation standards for airplanes taxiing on the ground I don't know if there's a vertical as well as horizontal requirement. It sounds to me like the SW pilot was aware of the smaller plane, but it's hard to tell if the "fly-over" was intentional. I'll bet it looked pretty scary from your friend's cockpit.

Given that SOP says they cannot even pull into a gate without ramp walkers to verify wingtip clearance, I bet the SWA Chief Pilot would ream these guys a new one if they found out about this.

-Skip

Back