Clearing ice from in front of hangar

I have a 4' drift right in front of my door. Set hard by days of wind. My seat time this weekend will be on the tractor!

The SDS Rotary Hammer Drill worked great. Sorry I didn’t take photos as it was full-on blizzard conditions with a few breaks of sunshine. It is a 1” tip and I just ordered a Chinese 3” wide blade from AMZ for $9. The Bosch one I have cut through the ice like butter. I’ll let my neighbors know as I know of at least one other guy that likes to fly too. I only cut one channel out when I noticed that a ton of ice was about to slide off the roof onto my head so I immediately shut down ice ops until further notice.

Fertilizer also works as an ice melter and does less damage to metal and vegetation than salt type products. More expensive though.

It might do less than salt but it still eats metal up badly.

It will be melting today. It’s also much easier to scrape loose with the warmer temps. I plan on taking the motorcycle out today for a short ride, mid 50’s for a high.

Problem is that I’ve been at work today and the last two days = probably worse conditions. The good news is that the the 3” wide hammer bit should be in tomorrow. Maybe I can wait for it at the airport when it’s delivered by Amerifright.

Problem is that I’ve been at work today and the last two days = probably worse conditions. The good news is that the the 3” wide hammer bit should be in tomorrow. Maybe I can wait for it at the airport when it’s delivered by Amerifright.

You sound as though you don't have a lot of experience with ice and winter weather, is that a fair statement?

Reminds me of my Plattsburgh NY days where once I had to borrow my neighbor's snow shovel so I could dig out my garage to get to my snow shovel...

You sound as though you don't have a lot of experience with ice and winter weather, is that a fair statement?

Eight years in the UP. I’ve seen snow a few times. My driveway pile is up to the roof...

Eight years in the UP. I’ve seen snow a few times. My driveway pile is up to the roof...

Ok, so you know, I've had a few neighbors move it and try to skip handling the snow on their driveways when it's 2 inches and a 6 inch pile of plow slush at the end of the driveway. They end up out there on a 10 degree day trying to chop up the frozen slush and ice on the driveway. It generally only happens once but sometimes slow learners take a few times.

One of my pet peeves is when someone drives on new snow on my driveway before I get a chance to plow it... which has been too often this winter!

One of my pet peeves is when someone drives on new snow on my driveway before I get a chance to plow it... which has been too often this winter!

I always drive on mine. It gets us back to mud quicker. LOL.

(I really wish I could operate the tractor right now. My driveway needs regrading and new base/gravel bad. Patching up the mud holes is easier on the tractor while it’s still mud.)

;)

Tell me about it, I have a south facing driveway, so as long as we get temps above 20 and I scrape it close, the sun takes care of it, but those tire tracks can be there for weeks with the right conditions.

I always drive on mine. It gets us back to mud quicker. LOL.

(I really wish I could operate the tractor right now. My driveway needs regrading and new base/gravel bad. Patching up the mud holes is easier on the tractor while it’s still mud.)

;)
I wish I was closer - I would come down and help. I'm only going to the office 1-2 times a month now, and those trips demand my whole day (and half my night)

Ok, so you know, I've had a few neighbors move it and try to skip handling the snow on their driveways when it's 2 inches and a 6 inch pile of plow slush at the end of the driveway. They end up out there on a 10 degree day trying to chop up the frozen slush and ice on the driveway. It generally only happens once but sometimes slow learners take a few times.

I’ve been to my hangar almost every single day off work. The wife even approved the purchase of a plow truck last fall. The problem was that on the hottest and sunniest few days in a row of the entire winter I had to travel to Louisville for LSRI-A training and coincidently pickup a LSA on the way back North. And of course, tons of ice fell and melted in front. I went back out yesterday and went to town with the SDS Rotary hammer and made it nice. The heavy steel plow blade definitely grinds up the pieces too and leaves a smooth surface. I have spiked chains in the tire of my PowerTow so actually needs a frozen surface of sorts to work properly or it’ll spin.
As much as I gripe about living in the North we certainly don’t find poisonous snakes and strange insects in our toolboxes or vehicles. That’s enough to keep me up here but I still get jealous when I see how much fun the Southerners have all winter. I’m hoping to get penetrating ski’s for the LSA and do some off airport ops next winter.

The place I last lived was a "secondary" route so the city plows would typically take days to get to the street in front of my home. By then the several inches of snow would be compacted into ice. Of course if you did not have your sidewalk cleared within 24 hours, the city would fine you. Do not even THINK of allowing a single flake of snow get moved from your sidewalk to the street. That is a $1,000 fine.

That is all fine and dandy... Then come home from work (after spending a couple hours clearing your driveway) to find this:

20181206_191156.jpg NCM_0645.JPG

Any guesses where every last bit of this ended up when I was done?

In Colorado Springs we are in the forefront of high tech! Our city has totally embraced "GREEN THINKING" in the form of "solar powered snow removal"!!! What that really means is...just wait, let the sun melt it. Haven't seen a plow on my road since the city annexed us 35 years ago...

The place I last lived was a "secondary" route so the city plows would typically take days to get to the street in front of my home. By then the several inches of snow would be compacted into ice. Of course if you did not have your sidewalk cleared within 24 hours, the city would fine you. Do not even THINK of allowing a single flake of snow get moved from your sidewalk to the street. That is a $1,000 fine.

That is all fine and dandy... Then come home from work (after spending a couple hours clearing your driveway) to find this:

View attachment 83293 View attachment 83294

Any guesses where every last bit of this ended up when I was done?
If your answer is back in the road, they fine you for that around here. My brother used to work in East Hartford, with a view of a neighborhood. Every snow storm he would watch the residents shovel out their cars on the road, they would toss the snow in the street. Then the snow plow would come by and push the snow back into the cars. The cycle would repeat over and over.

Back