Clearing fouled plugs

Definitely. At $30+ per aircraft plug, not many replace them just because they're dirty.
I finally replaced mine last year - so old that the exposed sections were rusting away and deeply pitted, but totally functional. However, they were old Champions and several failed the resistance test, so it was worth it for a set of new UREM37BY tempest.

I’ll run up & try leaning while doing it, may help.

My mag checks are usually better during post-flight, all warmed up.

I may spring for 4 more fine plugs soon, right now I have 4 & 4.

If its compatable with your engine a tank full of mogas usually helps.

There are some advantages to experimental aircraft and this is one. I generally replace my plugs every condition inspection whether needed or not. It costs less than $45 including shipping for a set of iridium plugs. ...
Not every experimental has Rotax engine.

I Put 1700 hrs on a new 172M over 35 years using 80/87 (when it was available) then MoGas. Never even had a rough mag.

Correct
Lycoming IO 390. Denso or NGK plugs @ $ 9.00 each affords one to change out all 8 at annual.
Could you please clarify?

The Lycoming IO-390-A Illustrated Parts Catalog shows a REB37E.
I am pretty sure neither Denso or NGK makes an REB37E.

This Lycoming Service Instruction 1042AH only lists Champion and Tempest as approved spark plugs for the A, B, C, D versions of the IO-390.

Could you please clarify?

The Lycoming IO-390-A Illustrated Parts Catalog shows a REB37E.
I am pretty sure neither Denso or NGK makes an REB37E.

This Lycoming Service Instruction 1042AH only lists Champion and Tempest as approved spark plugs for the A, B, C, D versions of the IO-390.
I am going to guess at the answer to this - since it is experimental there are spark plug adapters that allow the use of automotive spark plugs in the same plug holes. Possibly a different wiring harness as well, combined with and E-mag.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...ST8I0hFHxNTCpRIve3QAKx-5Y-14HetBoC5Q4QAvD_BwE

I am going to guess at the answer to this - since it is experimental there are spark plug adapters that allow the use of automotive spark plugs in the same plug holes. Possibly a different wiring harness as well, combined with and E-mag....
Interesting.
Any opinions on the advisability of doing such a thing?

Back