Clearing Customs at John Wayne (KSNA)

colojo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Colojo
I know that Santa Ana airport became an airport of entry for commercial flights in the past year, but is that also true for GA flights? The airport diagram does not show a customs facility and I can't find anything on the Internet (so don't hit me with any of that "let me google that for you" crap! :nono:). I spoke to US Customs and they didn't know. KSNA's phone system is useless... you need to know someone's extension to get anywhere. Has anyone cleared customs at KSNA after returning from Mexico? Thanks.

He always use Brown Field to clear customs out of Mexico. I have never used SNA.

Web page for CBP should have a PDF file you can download. It's sorted by state and lists all landing rights airports. Not all airports listed will have CBP on the airport. Need to check the codes, and the advance notice requirements, eApis plus a phone call to the station agent. Many times the CBP agent needs to drive from the nearest customs port.

In the case of my travel through Canada into Alaska. CBP agent drives from the border road checkpoint almost an hour away, Northway. And returning to the lower 48 at Cut Bank MT, the agent drives up from the border crossing on I-15.

Web page for CBP should have a PDF file you can download. It's sorted by state and lists all landing rights airports. Not all airports listed will have CBP on the airport. Need to check the codes, and the advance notice requirements, eApis plus a phone call to the station agent. Many times the CBP agent needs to drive from the nearest customs port.

In the case of my travel through Canada into Alaska. CBP agent drives from the border road checkpoint almost an hour away, Northway. And returning to the lower 48 at Cut Bank MT, the agent drives up from the border crossing on I-15.

Excellent information, thank you. Took a little bit of digging but I found the document. KSNA is not listed, so it looks like I'll put down at Brown field.

The regulations also state that you shall land at the nearest suitable airport after crossing the border south of 33N. So unless you get an overflight permit you shall land at the closest suitable airport. Now - Brown is close, as is Calexico or San Diego Int'l. If you apply and receive an overflight permit you can land pretty much anywhere. Now, if you were based at SNA and they had customs - it may be likely for you to land there and clear there - but they are pretty serious about the rules given the drug issues - expect to be anally probed even if you do get the overflight permit - at least the first few times.

Back