"Cleared via Random Routing to Destination."

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
WTF?

I heard that on yesterday issued to a plane by ATC.

Certainly don't think I've heard it before.

WTF?

This raises one of my pet peeves with the FAR/AIM. "Random" and "arbitrary" do not mean the same thing. But the FAA always says "random." I don't want to take a random route between two airports. I want to take a predictable route that I have planned for.

But an actual clearance to fly "via random routing" makes me imagine en-route controllers rolling dice to decide where to send the guy next.

N12345: Salt Lake Center, Bugsmasher 45, level 6,000.
ATC: Bugsmasher 45, cleared to Chicago O'Hare via (sound of dice rolling) Victor 372, expect further clearance at a random time.
45: Chicago Center, Bugsmasher 45, level 6,000.
ATC: Bugsmasher 45, proceed direct (dice rolling) Hobby Airport, then direct Chicago O'Hare.
ATC: Bugsmasher 45, reset transponder, roll two twenty-sided dice for code.

Sounds like a term of art, albeit a poor one. Maybe "ad hoc" or "impromptu" were deemed too highfalutin? @roncachamp, white courtesy phone...

Good luck setting your transponder to 1919.

That would be four eight-sided dice and then set 8 -> 0.
Don't blame me. Blame ATC for randomly picking a 20-sided die. (Alternate comeback: My method require re-rolling 20% of the time while your method results in an emergency, loss of communications, or hijacking 0.07% of the time.)

Sounds like a term of art, albeit a poor one. Maybe "ad hoc" or "impromptu" were deemed too highfalutin? @roncachamp, white courtesy phone...
"Ad hoc" or "arbitrary" makes more sense when generally speaking about routes of this type. But no matter how we describe the route that I plan or file, I want ATC to clear me for something specific.

I'm wondering if they were giving that clearance to a military plane.

I'm wondering if they were giving that clearance to a military plane.
I believe, but wouldn't swear to it, that it was a commuter plane departing West Plains, MO (UNO) enroute to Marion, IL (MWA)

Reminds me of a clearance once received while in USAF Nav School. Celestial Navigation course.
"Cleared to wander aimlessly about the Pacific Northwest."

Reminds me of a clearance once received while in USAF Nav School. Celestial Navigation course.
"Cleared to wander aimlessly about the Pacific Northwest."
You should've given them something more specific..."request direct to the second star on the right, then straight on til morning."

Back