Cleared thru Class Bravo!

Tracey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tracey
I was cleared to fly thru Class Bravo today! :) I flew over BOS to 1B9.

Today was a day for amazing views... thought I'd share some of the pictures. I flew over the Pats Stadium too, I think I attached that pic as well.

Thanks for looking... what fun that was.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25675&d=1333566428

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25676&d=1333566428

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25677&d=1333566428

Attachments

• DSCN2304.JPG
    DSCN2304.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 127
  • DSCN2306.JPG
    DSCN2306.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
  • DSCN2321.JPG
    DSCN2321.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nice flight. Pretty clear day for east of the Mississippi. :)

Wow Tracey! What a savvy Rookie you are!

I have my Private already and having done almost all my flying in the boondocks out of uncontrolled airports, I feel proud that I'm even able to ask for a midfield crossing over a Class D airport!

Look at you!

Did you just go in for sightseeing? Or was it part of your route?

Did you just go in for sightseeing? Or was it part of your route?
We were flying to 1B9 and were hopeful that we could fly direct (which was right thru Class Bravo, and they ok'd us, so we got to.

But to answer your question-- it was part sightseeing, part learning about Class B, part fulfilling xc hours, all of that (I'm a student).

Last edited:
I have my Private already and having done almost all my flying in the boondocks out of uncontrolled airports, I feel proud that I'm even able to ask for a midfield crossing over a Class D airport!
I think I know what you mean, Doc-- when I have my private I think I will still be too intimidated to fly thru Class B. At least for a while.

Thanks for looking!

Pretty clear day for east of the Mississippi.

Does BOS have a VFR corridor? Being on the coast I'd guess they might, but with with runways pointing in so many directions I'd guess they mightn't.

Does BOS have a VFR corridor? Being on the coast I'd guess they might, but with with runways pointing in so many directions I'd guess they mightn't.
Ok, I can't even answer you, I don't know. What I do know is that they told me a heading to follow and an altitude at which to stay. So I did.

Did you see any jets? Did they have to report you in sight too? I got a kick out of that my first time, hearing these "heavies" say they were looking at me in the sky. Made me feel important and stuff.

Yeah, they have a corridor....it's called 'remain outside of the class B'!

If there is a common corridor, it is on the west side below the 3000' shelf and skimming the top of the Hanscom Class D. If you are on FF, BOS approach will typically clear you through there at or above 2500', but not through the Bravo.

Occasionally, they will clear you through the Bravo and have you overfly BOS around 4500-5500, but getting cleared through there was totally hit or miss (mostly miss) when I was flying in NE a few years ago.

Did you see any jets? Did they have to report you in sight too? I got a kick out of that my first time, hearing these "heavies" say they were looking at me in the sky. Made me feel important and stuff.
I heard ATC say "Cessna at your 1:00" or something like that pretty often while I was flying thru, but I wasn't sure if they were referring to me or not. There seemed to be an awful lot of us little GA types loitering in that airspace today. The jets that I saw were mostly below me. Yes, they were not as high as I was in my little 172. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, they have a corridor....it's called 'remain outside of the class B'!

If there is a common corridor, it is on the west side below the 3000' shelf and skimming the top of the Hanscom Class D. If you are on FF, BOS approach will typically clear you through there at or above 2500', but not through the Bravo.

Occasionally, they will clear you through the Bravo and have you overfly BOS around 4500-5500, but getting cleared through there was totally hit or miss (mostly miss) when I was flying in NE a few years ago.
Thanks for this info, Fearless. I wasn't sure.

When are you making the big move from San Diego?

We were flying to 1B9 and were hopeful that we could fly direct (which was right thru Class Bravo, and they ok'd us, so we got to.

"Boston Approach, this is Cessna 783TV, twelve miles North of BOS, level three thousand five hundred, request Bravo transit Southbound, student pilot."

"Cessna 3TV, negative. Neener neener neener."

Thanks for this info, Fearless. I wasn't sure.

When are you making the big move from San Diego?

No prob...where are you flying out of up there? I can't remember.

Moving the plane in June most likely and then officially moving in August.

"Boston Approach, this is Cessna 783TV, twelve miles North of BOS, level three thousand five hundred, request Bravo transit Southbound, student pilot."

That's exactly what I was expecting to hear!!! :lol:

But no! They said, "Cleared thru Class Bravo!" I couldn't believe it. I was really excited. This was my first time... (flying, and not sitting in coach with a bag of peanuts). I wanted to record it. Shoot, that's what I've been meaning to do-- Kim's cool idea of recording what I can hear thru my headset.

Thanks for reminding me.

No prob...where are you flying out of up there? I can't remember.

Moving the plane in June most likely and then officially moving in August.
KSFM-- up in Maine. And.... wait for it... you can't get there from here! :lol: (That's an old Maine joke).

I'm glad you and your family will get to spend the Summer in San Diego. Nothing better than a day at Mission Beach. With ice cream. :yesnod:

So I take it there is not a VFR corridor?

That's exactly what I was expecting to hear!!! :lol:

But no! They said, "Cleared thru Class Bravo!" I couldn't believe it. I was really excited. This was my first time... (flying, and not sitting in coach with a bag of peanuts). I wanted to record it. Shoot, that's what I've been meaning to do-- Kim's cool idea of recording what I can hear thru my headset.

Thanks for reminding me.

Tracey, no need. If you tell us what time you were flying and what frequency, one of the techie pilots here can probably find you in the archives at LiveATC and you can download the mp3 file to your computer and keep it forever.

Not as bad as Phoenix.....their typical response is 'aircraft calling remain outside of the Class Bravo'....half the time, they don't even want to bother with Flight Following.

Thne again, if I had to deal with a bunch of 'Trans Fright' goobers, I probably wouldn't want to talk to them either.

Great photos! And congrats on the Class Bravo fly-through. :)

Tracey, no need. If you tell us what time you were flying and what frequency, one of the techie pilots here can probably find you in the archives at LiveATC and you can download the mp3 file to your computer and keep it forever.
Oooo that's right, I knew that, thanks! I know just who to ask! Thanks Kim!

KSFM-- up in Maine. And.... wait for it... you can't get there from here! :lol: (That's an old Maine joke).

I'm glad you and your family will get to spend the Summer in San Diego. Nothing better than a day at Mission Beach. With ice cream. :yesnod:
I know that joke well....went to college in Castine.

SFM is a great airport. One of my favorite airport cafe's when I first got my PPL and was flying out of Newport, RI.

I know that joke well....went to college in Castine.

SFM is a great airport. One of my favorite airport cafe's when I first got my PPL and was flying out of Newport, RI.
Yes! It's a great little cafe... and I finally figured out why I always get hungry for hamburgers when I'm on downwind for 32.. the smell from the cafe goes right there. I torture my CFI every single time we're on downwind... "Wow, I could really go for a hamburger right now... couldn't you?" :lol:

Last edited:
No, nothing published

Thanks. I thought I was going to have to bust out a chart there for a minute! : )

I got my private in San Diego and I remember the excitement of flying right over LAX in their corridor. It was the excitement of flying over 'heavy iron' minus the fear factor of talking to a Class B Approach.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane...

I flew to SFM on Saturday...

I've had pretty good luck with the Boston approach controllers as far as getting flight following or transiting the Bravo airspace. I think the fact that Nashua tower can enter an ATC strip from the ground with the destination and cruising altitude already input helps. Some day I intend to actually land at a Class Bravo but that probably won't be BOS thanks to the ridiculous fees. Probably PHL, PIT, or IAD.

Tracy, what altitude were you assigned in the Bravo? I have generally gotten direct transit through at 4500-6500. I have yet to try asking for the "city tour" which you can do much lower, talking to the helo controller ("Boston Skyways"). Some days they will not allow it depending on the wind direction/approaches in use.

No they do not, but they are very easy to work with.
There are helicopter routes within the Class B for getting around the city low level.

I was home two summers ago. A flight from AUG, PSM and through the west side of the Class B headed to SFZ for a quick drop and then back to OWD for the night. They BOS Approach, had me keep my squawk on the landing into SFZ and call them on departure for a quick run up to OWD. No issues at all.

Last edited:
Thanks. I thought I was going to have to bust out a chart there for a minute! : )
Captain, there's a site called Skyvector.com that has sectionals online, it's really easy to use.

Tracey, how did you do with altitude? No AP in the 172 so did you maintain alt okay? They get touchy about that in "B".

Great experience to make you a more comfortable and competent pilot in busy airspace. Way to go!

Tracey, how did you do with altitude?
We actually have an AP in this plane, but did not use it. I figure the practice I get from hand flying and trying to hold the altitude is useful.

On the way there, I have to say-- I did really well holding altitude and tracking the VOR. But on the way back even seasoned pilots were giving PIREPS for moderate chop, so it was a bit more difficult for me. There was one point where I deviated 300 ft :yikes: :mad2:. Luckily for me ATC wasn't too busy and they pointed out the error of my ways and let me continue on. My instructor said that they could have told us to do a 180 and get out of dodge, but they did not. Phew.

Tracy, what altitude were you assigned in the Bravo? I have generally gotten direct transit through at 4500-6500. I have yet to try asking for the "city tour" which you can do much lower, talking to the helo controller ("Boston Skyways"). Some days they will not allow it depending on the wind direction/approaches in use.
4,500 going south/westerly and 5,500 going north/easterly.

One thing that I would love to do is the city tour. That would be amazingly fun. If you ever go and you have an extra seat, maybe I can tag along? (I don't typically invite myself places, but I can't resist for a Boston city tour-- how cool would that be?!).

You ought to fly up to SFM this Saturday too-- there's an FAA seminar, should be good!

We actually have an AP in this plane, but did not use it. I figure the practice I get from hand flying and trying to hold the altitude is useful.

On the way there, I have to say-- I did really well holding altitude and tracking the VOR. But on the way back even seasoned pilots were giving PIREPS for moderate chop, so it was a bit more difficult for me. There was one point where I deviated 300 ft :yikes: :mad2:. Luckily for me ATC wasn't too busy and they pointed out the error of my ways and let me continue on. My instructor said that they could have told us to do a 180 and get out of dodge, but they did not. Phew.

They yelled at me for losing 50'! I was too busy watching jets take off and land under me. :redface:

Good stuff Tracey! Keep it up!

Try do this at night also. Amazing light show.

Atta' Girl! Fly it by hand!

One thing that I would love to do is the city tour. That would be amazingly fun. If you ever go and you have an extra seat, maybe I can tag along? (I don't typically invite myself places, but I can't resist for a Boston city tour-- how cool would that be?!).

You ought to fly up to SFM this Saturday too-- there's an FAA seminar, should be good!

Sure, I'll let you know if I do a city tour. I'm helping someone move on Saturday so I can't make it to SFM then.

Someone else mentioned some of the cool traffic callouts you get in busy airspace. I was not in the NYC bravo but near the Hudson river valley when I got "heavy airbus descending through your altitude" and sure enough a few miles to the right same direction was a UPS A300F, slowly passing me and descending. The UPS livery was quite clear, it was very cool!

Back