Cleared through Class B?

U

Unregistered

I was on my "Flight test" for the newly installed Lycoming Reman. I requested direct to South Podunk and cleared through the CLASS B airspace (Bigcity). The controller cleared me direct and into the CLASS B at 3,500. About 7 miles northwest of the center, a different controller came up on the radio, said I wasn't (actually, I believe he said I could possibly have been) cleared and directed me to take a course out.
Now, I've already talked to the Approach Supervisor about this, but what else might I do? Is this a good time for a NASA report? And considering where I was, should things go against me, how badly is this going to hurt?

NW of "center" waht center, the center of the class B or do you mean the ARTCC? The TRACON should have been giving you the clearance and if you were inside the bravo that is who you would be talking to. I have yet to run into any centers handling the class B airspace. There are several ATC types on this board and perhaps they can clarify.

Did they also give you a squawk?

I was on my "Flight test" for the newly installed Lycoming Reman. I requested direct to South Podunk and cleared through the CLASS B airspace (Bigcity). The controller cleared me direct and into the CLASS B at 3,500. About 7 miles northwest of the center, a different controller came up on the radio, said I wasn't (actually, I believe he said I could possibly have been) cleared and directed me to take a course out.
Now, I've already talked to the Approach Supervisor about this, but what else might I do? Is this a good time for a NASA report? And considering where I was, should things go against me, how badly is this going to hurt?
I was about 7 miles NW of the major airport, squaking a discreet code, when the second controller came up.
Thanks for the advice. I'll file the NASA report today and see about the tapes also.

What did the Supervisor say?
I just talked with the super who reviewed the radar and voice tapes and talked to the super and controllers on at the time. Apparently, the first controller gave a complete handoff to the second. The second controller wasn't questioning my clearance, only that the first controller gave it to me at 3,500. The super explained that 5,500 is the norm (or higher). The comment wasn't intended for general broadcast.
According to him, I did nothing wrong. I'd been cleared into class B.
ASRS was mailed anyway. Can't hurt.

Controller screws up so pilot gets chewed on. Well, it happens, and given the number of times a pilot screw-up has ruined a controller's day, it probably balances out in the long run. In any event, the ASRS report will help identify this as a problem worthy of notice so we can help make the system better.

I had this same situation arise under the ORD Bravo. Got chewed out royally by the controller.

He said, on the landline that climb to 3500 at 10 nm out departing was a clearance into B.

Sure am glad I didn't climb. C90 really sucks for VFR operations.

He said, on the landline that climb to 3500 at 10 nm out departing was a clearance into B.
One is supposed to conclude the above meets the requirements of AIM 3-2-3(e)?

e. ATC Clearances and Separation. An ATC clearance is required to enter and operate within Class B airspace. VFR pilots are provided sequencing and separation from other aircraft while operating within Class B airspace.
:dunno:

One is supposed to conclude the above meets the requirements of AIM 3-2-3(e)?

:dunno:

The key words are missing, Kenny. "You are cleared into the Chicago Class Bravo Airspace"

It was a trap. Not that C90 would ever trap a pilot....

I had this same situation arise under the ORD Bravo. Got chewed out royally by the controller.

Sure am glad I didn't climb. C90 really sucks for VFR operations.

I had a similar C90 bravo experience. I got a climb and heading vesctor that would bring me inside of the brave (without asking nor expecting it). I then asked 'verify cleared into bravo' i then got a lite scolding with ATC eventually in their scolding saying it was always a good thing to ask. But they also told me a vector and heading is a clearance into bravo. I know that is wrong and just showed me how unfamiliar C90 is with VFR inside their bravo airspace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back