Cleared for takeoff

78tiger

I was at LZU on a nice VFR day, number one for 25, and tower advised "779, cleared for take off". I habitually looked up final, and saw a Cessna about 100 feet up, 100 yards away, and advised tower "I'll just wait on the traffic short final", tower and the traffic thanked me. Always look!

I was at LZU on a nice VFR day, number one for 25, and tower advised "779, cleared for take off". I habitually looked up final, and saw a Cessna about 100 feet up, 100 yards away, and advised tower "I'll just wait on the traffic short final", tower and the traffic thanked me. Always look!

That's why I love helicopters -- the tower will almost always keep you away from runways :D

Almost never have to talk to ground either!

Greg,

First, welcome to the board! Ya picked a good place in spite of some of the self-defined "superior" helo pilots who hang here. :D

There's a group of us putting together the Georgia Pilot's Association. It's a slow start but anything great and successful comes from a slow cooker. PM me and I'll share some more details.

That was a good move. I'm surprised they would let you go with traffic still airborne and over the runway, especially intended short final. I would never go with that. LZU is getting pretty busy these days. It's no PDK but has a good start and likely to grow faster given it's the next field on the east side.

First, welcome to the board! Ya picked a good place in spite of some of the self-defined "superior" helo pilots who hang here. :D

With good reason, my friend ;)

I remember fondly when Toby had her fly-in to KLNS a couple of years back. The tower estimated we had 100 aircraft. When everybody was leaving, it got so busy that the tower announced they didn't want to hear anybody reporting ready for departure unless they were number one.

Little iHover in his R22 calls the tower:

Lancaster tower, helicopter 12345

Copter 12345. Lancaster tower

Helicopter 12345 is in the grass opposite the west ramp with hotel. We'd like a southeast departure.

Copter 12345 cleared to depart to the southwest, left turn to course at pilot's discretion. Remain clear of runway 13-31.

Five seconds later I was airborne, ten seconds after that I made a left turn to the southeast over the terminal parking lot!

And all those airplanes were waiting ... :D

Rotors Rule!

:heli:

"self defined" superior?

Nahh, everyone knows helo pilots ARE superior. We've had the lobotomy to prove it. :goofy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back