Cleared for “RNAV 9” …but which one Z or Y?

coma24 - Thank you for a great explanation. My only question is you state "...OR it was an oversight on the controller's behalf" and "There's no need to ask" given a situation like the OP described. How would a pilot know if it was a potential mistake if we don't clarify in a situation like this?

At any point, whether the ATIS or the controller, were you told to expect X or Y? If not, it’s you’re choice based on the clearance you were given.

Last edited:
In this specific case, the missed approaches vary radically between the two approaches, so, I can only imagine it was a slow news day and the controller was happy to protect for both, OR it was an oversight on the controller's behalf.

I disagree that clarification is required when receiving the clearance (unless it's because the pilot isn't aware of the guidance regarding approach clearances). Presumably, the controller knows there's multiple RNAV RWY 9 approaches and would've specified one vs the other if required. The fact that he/she didn't definitively means you can fly either.

Hmm, so the controller forgets, expects you to fly Y approach missed and you fly Z and things go south from there, because you did not clarify?

Hmm, so the controller forgets, expects you to fly Y approach missed and you fly Z and things go south from there, because you did not clarify?

Yes, but we're WELL into 'very unlikely' territory (an unplanned missed and the controller forgot that there are two approaches for that rwy). Also 'go south' isn't as dramatic as it sounds. If you feel it helps, you can state the approach name on the missed and the fix you're turning to. That way, it could be resolved before you're significantly deviating from the track the controller was protecting.

I would consider the controller remiss in not clarifying the pilot’s confusion, however.
Most controllers are not pilots and, without experience on our side of the microphone, may not immediately understand why the pilot is confused. "Cleared RNAV runway 9" is a very clear instruction to a controller.

At any point, whether the ATIS or the controller, were you told to expect X or Y? If not, it’s you’re choice based on the clearance you were given.
I'd say that, even then, the clearance for "RNAV runway 9" allows the pilot to fly any RNAV approach to runway 9. Having previously been told to "expect" something doesn't change that.

If you knew about the airspace memorization that each controller must endure you'd think that very unlikely.

If the miss that you fly is important to the controller, he will specify which approach you are cleared for.

Most controllers are not pilots and, without experience on our side of the microphone, may not immediately understand why the pilot is confused. "Cleared RNAV runway 9" is a very clear instruction to a controller.
They may not understand why the pilot is confused, but if they recognize that he IS confused, it seems like they’d prefer to clarify.

I'd say that, even then, the clearance for "RNAV runway 9" allows the pilot to fly any RNAV approach to runway 9. Having previously been told to "expect" something doesn't change that.

If you knew about the airspace memorization that each controller must endure you'd think that very unlikely.

If the miss that you fly is important to the controller, he will specify which approach you are cleared for.

I’d agree. Personally though, in that instance I’d either confirm the clearance or I’d execute the one that I was told to expect.

Back