Clearance not as filed but then amended to as filed enroute

DrMack

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DrMack
I fly KEDC KRBD every week and every week I file DARTE V17 ACT.DODJE4 . The clearance delivered to me every week by AUS TRACON is DIRECT ACT V15 CQY DIRECT KRBD. As soon as I cross the ARTCC boundary between ZHU and ZFW near ACT my clearance is amended to DIRECT THING to join the DODJE4 arrival, my original filed plan!

Because of the formula one races in Austin this weekend the FAA put a clearance delivery controller in the FBO and I had a chance to meet him in person. He saw my filed plan moments after I filed and was able to call one of his buddies at the AUS TRACON and told them something like "suppress the plus routing" (don't remember the exact phrase) and lo and behold, my original plan was delivered and no enroute amendment was received!

So I have a question for any ATC wizards here: Is there some magic language I can use in the RMKS box on the flightplan form that will convey my request to "suppress the plus routing" (or whatever it's called) when I file? I usually call the AUS TRACON by mobile phone to receive my clearance when I'm ready to takeoff so I'm wondering whether I should also call them moments after I file (usually through ForeFlight 30 to 60 minutes before departure) and try to get this "plus routing" thing "suppressed".

I'm on my phone so I apologize in advance for spelling and format.

The "plus routing" is a PDR or preferential departure route. They typically mimic a SID to keep departures that fit certain criteria away from the STARS. Typically altitude is one of those criteria.

You could try suppress PDR in remarks and it could work every now and then. A more useful thing would be to call AS and ask them if a PDR is assigned based on filed altitude. If that's the case, file for below the threshold and ask for a new altitude when airborne.

Exactly what approach controller said. If you fly a regular route like that, the PDR assigned helps us meet a letter of agreement with an adjoining facility. Ask what altitude would allow for your routing, and file for that altitude. Once you are out of dodge, ask for higher.

DrMack, If you find out the right altitude out of KEDC please report back. I travel to Austin often and would like to know.

Mark added a good point. If the conditions are such that you will NEED higher, don't file for lower for direct and just assume higher is available for the taking. It may take a few minutes.

If all else fails, just ask for direct or shortcuts when able. You may not end up number one all the way to the hangar in a single piston, but if I can shave 15 minutes off of a late regional pilot's schedule who is going where everyone else is going I can help out a GA guy going to a reliever.

The issue with your PDR is AUS ZHU and ZFW and D10 don't know what each other needs. It doesn't matter to AUS, probably doesn't make a difference to ZHU or ZFW or D10 Honestly your filed routing probably runs a sector boundary at ZFW and the PDR alleviates that. The ZFW controllers probably see you and think, yeah that guy isn't a factor for anything since the agreements were written more with jets in mind.

I see that quite a bit. I'm required to ensure a certain SID toward Florida (but actually aimed more to Arkansas) has all aircraft joining to not infringe another sector. 99% of the time they get a sharp and darned near direct vector or direct to more of less direct upon leaving my airspace.

I used to fly out of kedc every single week. Austin appr never had a prob with them. usually called them before take off on the run up area, in the air, i just stayed outside class C until cleared for my route or given vectors. they were pretty much acomodating all the time. just this lady controller would sometimes be stressed out when traffic was bad. and you could hear it in the radio. GOod times!!

Back