Clearance delivery on handheld radio at class C/B airports?

No matter how you do it, just keep in mind that clearance D may be a really busy entity (especially in actual IFR). They care not when you call them, as long as you don’t wait excessively to depart or bust a clearance limit time.
Unless they have actually given you a time or further instructions about calling before taxi they don't care about a delay in your departure. Facilities will hang on to your clearance and your flight plan for a certain length of time after your proposed departure time which varies by facility but I have never seen it less than an hour and it's usually more like 2 or 3 hours. If it's more than that you can call CD or ground back and tell them you would like to keep your clearance alive. I think all these places realize charter/business aviation is not like the airlines that run on a schedule and that the passengers will show up when they show up.

I have done this from time to time so I can get in the system for IFR flights and sometimes for VFR at busier airports. Just make sure you use the phrase "expecting engine start @ ___ after the hour..." or, "anticipate a push back at _____." This way the can get a stip going and get your transponder code and have this ready for you..

I think ATC at some of the busier airports will appreciate this as it will help them with their workload.. And, you sound like a pro which may get you some priority over the pilot that sounds like Hillbilly Dawg

This is where I learned this little trick....:yes:

LOL - you actually tell the tower you're ready for "Push back?" Do you also refer to your altitudes as "Flight Levels" below 18,000ft, and request "Taxi to the gate" upon landing? Perhaps you also give flight conditions when checking in with a new controller ("Level, 6,500 light chop")? Do you play make-believe and give an announcement to the make-believe passengers in your plane where you say "Hey guys, from the flight deck, this is your captain speaking - we're number 2 for takeoff and we'll be off the ground shortly. At this time I'd like to ask the flight attendants to please take their seats and prepare for takeoff. We have a short 3 hour flight this afternoon, cruising at, oh, flight level 065, and we'll have a bit of a tail wind, so we'll try to take advantage and get you to your destination a bit ahead of schedule."?

Sounds like it could be a fun way to enjoy General Aviation, although it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a flight simulator and fly Boeings across the US instead.

Poor little ole me.. I hope I am still able to fly in 2021..

Sad to say, but I think natural attrition due to the cost of GA is going to cull the heard as they say! They'll be begging for someone to talk to.

:yes:

Around these parts, the cost of rental has gone up an average of 7.1% per year over the past decade (13.35% per year for 100LL)

:yes:

A "Class E airport" is an airport in a Class E surface area. A "Class C airport" is an airport in a Class C surface area. There can be no Class E airports in Class C surface areas.

Totally correct sir...I meant to state Class E airport UNDER Class C airspace. Local procedures was to call for IFR clearance via departure control ground remote prior to departure. Sloppy symantics on my part.

I didn't read every post, so it might have already been mentioned. But many FBO's have a radio inside for the purpose of getting atis and clearance. In 135, we get our clearance and then sit around waiting for passengers for 30 minutes to an hour or so.

Sounds like it could be a fun way to enjoy General Aviation, although it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a flight simulator and fly Boeings across the US instead.

Hey Nick, whatever you do..don't quit the day job. The sacastic comedy routine has alreadey been tried and failed... and you're pretty bad at it.i

Try an origianl thought nextime... you may be suprised!

LOL - you actually tell the tower you're ready for "Push back?" Do you also refer to your altitudes as "Flight Levels" below 18,000ft, and request "Taxi to the gate" upon landing? Perhaps you also give flight conditions when checking in with a new controller ("Level, 6,500 light chop")? Do you play make-believe and give an announcement to the make-believe passengers in your plane where you say "Hey guys, from the flight deck, this is your captain speaking - we're number 2 for takeoff and we'll be off the ground shortly. At this time I'd like to ask the flight attendants to please take their seats and prepare for takeoff. We have a short 3 hour flight this afternoon, cruising at, oh, flight level 065, and we'll have a bit of a tail wind, so we'll try to take advantage and get you to your destination a bit ahead of schedule."?

I don't know about all that, but I do always insist on giving a TSA-style pat-down to my wife before I'll let her get into a plane with me.

Hey Nick, whatever you do..don't quit the day job. The sacastic comedy routine has alreadey been tried and failed... and you're pretty bad at it.i

Try an origianl thought nextime... you may be suprised!

Huh?? Did I miss the "Sarcastic Comedian" 15 minutes of fame on the internet?

Dang. I guess I'll just have to be serious instead:

Don't tell ATC you need to "push back" unless you have someone in a tug connected to your nosewheel, standing by to be told you're cleared to push back. Otherwise, you're just wasting yours and ATC's time and you'll look dumb.

My FBO has a COM base station in the planning room to contact ATC for departure. We are in an SFAR 93 area and once you leave the Class E airspace you are either in Class D or Restricted Airspace...in other words you MUST contact ATC to get clearance to fly through the two corridors (N/S E/W) prior to departing. I see absolutely no reason why you can’t contact the Clearance Delivery service without the engine or battery running.

Second case. I had to open a clearance via a remote station on a Class E airport in Class C airspace. I simply used my handheld to "Dial" into clearance (5 clicks on a frequency to open a phone line...reminded me of a ship to shore phone rig).
No matter how you do it, just keep in mind that clearance D may be a really busy entity (especially in actual IFR). They care not when you call them, as long as you don’t wait excessively to depart or bust a clearance limit time.

A "Class E airport" is an airport in a Class E surface area. A "Class C airport" is an airport in a Class C surface area. There can be no Class E airports in Class C surface areas.

Totally correct sir...I meant to state Class E airport UNDER Class C airspace. Local procedures was to call for IFR clearance via departure control ground remote prior to departure. Sloppy symantics on my part.

Actually, its an untowered airport IN Class Delta airspace within a SFAR Part 93 Terminal area - there is an exception to the rules that allow for traffic pattern work to be done without contacting Eglin first; which confuses a lot of people. There is Class Echo from 700ft surrounding the Delta airspace but still with the SFAR 93 area.

Last edited:
Actually, its an untowered airport IN Class Delta airspace within a SFAR Part 93 Terminal area - there is an exception to the rules that allow for traffic pattern work to be done without contacting Eglin first; which confuses a lot of people. There is Class Echo from 700ft surrounding the Delta airspace but still with the SFAR 93 area.

Ha you got me. Second mistake I made, you are totally right too. I guess I need to be a little more careful with my words next time I comment. Yes DTS is an untowered airport in Class D. I guess I snapped off a response based on how the airport "works" with its operations, not necessarily how it actually is set up (part of why SFAR 93 operations needs to be reviewed prior to flying in the airspace). :redface::redface:

The second case with remote station on a class E airport under class C airspace was in a different part of the country.

You guys are good! Lesson learned. :wink2:

Ha you got me. Second mistake I made, you are totally right too. I guess I need to be a little more careful with my words next time I comment. Yes DTS is an untowered airport in Class D. I guess I snapped off a response based on how the airport "works" with its operations, not necessarily how it actually is set up (part of why SFAR 93 operations needs to be reviewed prior to flying in the airspace). :redface::redface:

The second case with remote station on a class E airport under class C airspace was in a different part of the country.

You guys are good! Lesson learned. :wink2:

No problem it is confusing - this is good help and good to have your students read - https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?pf=1&preview=true&cID=47

I'm not a CFI but I'll gladly accept payment for the lesson :D :yikes: :nono: :rofl:

Back