Clearance delivery at uncontrolled field?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
There is a clearance delivery frequency listed in the A/FD for Ocean City, NJ and I'm a bit confused as to how this would work. Is it optional? Do I get my clearance, switch to CTAF, then over to departure? Does departure handle the whole thing while I ignore CTAF? How does this work?

There are two options.

Call for clearance on the ground using some kind of telephone and take off during the tie period given in the clearance.

Or, take off VFR then call Departure for your clearance. You must be able to remain VFR until you receive the clearance.

Option two will usually get you into the air and on your way quicker.

EDIT

Since there is a clearance frequency you call there. Then sit on the ground waiting for your clearance unless you use option 2. I sat at Sporty's for 30 minutes waiting on a 182 to arrive and cancel. I should have done the VFR departure then called Cinci.

Last edited:
There is a clearance delivery frequency listed in the A/FD for Ocean City, NJ and I'm a bit confused as to how this would work. Is it optional? Do I get my clearance, switch to CTAF, then over to departure? Does departure handle the whole thing while I ignore CTAF? How does this work?

Get your clearance on clearance delivery.

Switch to CTAF.

Depart.

Call departure.

Note: If you can't get ahold of that frequency (they don't always work), depart VFR and get it in the air, or call from the ground on the phone. There's a phone number for clearance delivery nationwide, and some places have their own phone numbers to try, depending on where you are.

There is a clearance delivery frequency listed in the A/FD for Ocean City, NJ and I'm a bit confused as to how this would work.
You call Atlantic City Clearance on that frequency to get your IFR clearance before departing.

Is it optional?
Yes -- you can also take off VFR and try getting your clearance in the air from ACY Approach, or call on the phone. But both are more complicated and time consuming than calling the CD freq and speaking directly with the controller before takeoff.

Do I get my clearance, switch to CTAF, then over to departure?
Basically, yes. You call for your clearance before takeoff, and then once released, switch to CTAF and depart. When clear of the traffic pattern, you switch to departure and check in.

Does departure handle the whole thing while I ignore CTAF?
No. And see AIM Section 5-4-6 for more on getting your clearance at and departing from nontowered airports.

How does this work?
The CD freq is a direct line to the TRACON so you can get your clearance from the horse's mouth before takeoff. But that's all it is -- doesn't cover CTAF.

Joe, are you asking about a VFR flight? If so, the call to CD should be optional/not required (I think).

OTOH, I was leaving Colorado Springs Class C VFR, and the ground controller ripped me a new one for not calling CD. WTF? I don't recall ever being taught that I need to call CD while operating VFR. None of the other controlled fields on the Colorado Front Range require it.

You guys are quick. With most other forums, I'm lucky if I get one response in the time that all of you replied.

Maybe I should have mentioned that it is a VFR clearance, so I just would like FF.

Also, there is no phone number listed for CD in the A/FD.

Maybe I should have mentioned that it is a VFR clearance, so I just would like FF.
Ocean City NJ is tucked under the ACY C-space, and depending on direction of flight, getting a squawk and freq for VFR FF from CD before takeoff can make the departure more convenient.
There rarely is. You can probably get it from the FBO if the CD freq isn't working for an IFR departure (probably not worth bothering for VFR).

Ocean City NJ is tucked under the ACY C-space, and depending on direction of flight, getting a squawk and freq for VFR FF from CD before takeoff can make the departure more convenient.
This is the reason I am asking. Otherwise I would get FF in the air when out of the. I will call them today.

This is the reason I am asking. Otherwise I would get FF in the air when out of the. I will call them today.

It's an option, but not required.

Clearance delivery on the ground is fine as long as you can get through. Some airports have a published freq and yet you sit forever before someone answers.

:dunno:

Joe, are you asking about a VFR flight? If so, the call to CD should be optional/not required (I think).

OTOH, I was leaving Colorado Springs Class C VFR, and the ground controller ripped me a new one for not calling CD. WTF? I don't recall ever being taught that I need to call CD while operating VFR. None of the other controlled fields on the Colorado Front Range require it.

Most all Class C airports I have dealt with expect you to contact CLD prior to calling ground for taxi clearance. YMMV.

My policy is, ask at the FBO for local practice.

My policy is, ask at the FBO for local practice.
Just got off the phone with the manager/fuel truck driver/line guy and he said either of 2 methods would be fine: call ACY App when in the air, or call CD before departure, then CTAF, then ACY Dep.

Just got off the phone with the manager/fuel truck driver/line guy and he said either of 2 methods would be fine: call ACY App when in the air, or call CD before departure, then CTAF, then ACY Dep.
Just remember that if you're taking off on 6 or headed north, you may be in the C-space before you can establish 2-way radio comm per the book. In those cases, having the squawk and freq before takeoff, and them knowing you're coming, can make life a lot easier.

Just remember that if you're taking off on 6 or headed north, you may be in the C-space before you can establish 2-way radio comm per the book. In those cases, having the squawk and freq before takeoff, and them knowing you're coming, can make life a lot easier.

If that's the case, I will get my squawk beforehand. However, class C begins at 1300', so I'll probably stay below that until I am clear anyway.

If it's good VFR weather and you can depart without being at risk of violating any airspace, I will usually depart VFR and pick it up in the air.

If there is any doubt whatsoever about being able to achieve that, I call CLD on the ground. You may get a bit of a wait, but right is right.

If it's good VFR weather and you can depart without being at risk of violating any airspace, I will usually depart VFR and pick it up in the air.

If there is any doubt whatsoever about being able to achieve that, I call CLD on the ground. You may get a bit of a wait, but right is right.

There you go... :thumbsup:

If that's the case, I will get my squawk beforehand.
Assuming you're headed back to Long Island, you're headed straight into the middle of the C-space, so that's a good idea.

However, class C begins at 1300', so I'll probably stay below that until I am clear anyway.
The way you're going, that's quite a detour at a low, bumpy altitude.

Assuming you're headed back to Long Island, you're headed straight into the middle of the C-space, so that's a good idea.

The way you're going, that's quite a detour at a low, bumpy altitude.

Floor of outer C ring is 1300' MSL. Why would he be required to talk to Atlantic City?

Anyway, the flight along the beach is loads of fun at 500' AGL. :thumbsup:

Depends on the local airspace.

My experience at VBT has been that the accepted practice is to call FSM CLD for a VFR squawk code (departing VFR) and then get a release via the RCO to sequence you around the WalMart Air Force. Almost like flying IFR. You can depart without talking to anyone, but staying out of the controlled airspace in that area is an interesting task to say the least, particulary heading east or south. There are other airports with similar arrangements.

As per Ron's advice, getting everything set up before you get that prop spinning is the smoothest choice. Reduce workload--that's the byword!

Another question. Can I get CD at an airport that doesn't have it? I would also like to be able to depart FRG with my squawk already, since I will need to request an early freq change to call TRACON before hitting NY bravo.

Another question. Can I get CD at an airport that doesn't have it? I would also like to be able to depart FRG with my squawk already, since I will need to request an early freq change to call TRACON before hitting NY bravo.
In theory, you can do it, but my experience is that Republic Tower won't play. All you can get from them is an early switch to Kennedy Departure so you can call them before you clear the D-space. But it doesn't hurt to try asking Republic Clearance on 128.25 before calling Ground for taxi -- worst they can do is say "no."

I've never gotten it. Howver, typically I've heard "frequency change approved" by the time I'm at pattern altitude on my departure, so it's not been a problem.

Another question. Can I get CD at an airport that doesn't have it?
If an airport doesn't have a dedicated clearance delivery you can get your clearance from ground control. At least you can ask them about your particular situation and see what they say.

Joe I just did this a few weeks ago from Ocean City NJ. The part of your post that I bolded out is how its done. Its not optional if you want to file, unless of course you want to air file or pick up the clearance in the air. But if your departing 6 you need to be ready to make a quick turn to avoid the Charlie.

You guys are quick. With most other forums, I'm lucky if I get one response in the time that all of you replied.

Ok then the procedure is still the same. CAll CD get your code. Go to CTAF launch stay outside the Charlie Go to ACY Departure and callem up. They will work with you shortly after you radio them.They are very friendly folks at AC.

If an airport doesn't have a dedicated clearance delivery you can get your clearance from ground control. At least you can ask them about your particular situation and see what they say.
And if the airport doesn't have ground control, either (if it's uncontrolled), there are two additional options:

- Call FSS for your clearance. WXBRIEF works, and there's also a national clearance number (don't have my phone right now).
- Even better, you can get the direct call numbers for the local TRACON sector for your airport. For example, I used to fly out of KEDU, and the local TRACON is Travis ( AFB )approach. You can get the direct number that puts you right through to the controller that you'll be talking to after you take off, and he can give you the clearance. That's much faster than going through FSS.

(As an aside - I also have an entry in my phone for "Norcal Sector A". Someone was calling random numbers in my phone and imagine her surprise when she called NCT :D)

-Felix

- Call FSS for your clearance. WXBRIEF works, and there's also a national clearance number (don't have my phone right now).
888-766-8267
- Even better, you can get the direct call numbers for the local TRACON sector for your airport. For example, I used to fly out of KEDU, and the local TRACON is Travis ( AFB )approach. You can get the direct number that puts you right through to the controller that you'll be talking to after you take off, and he can give you the clearance. That's much faster than going through FSS.
While these are good, they are specifically for IFR operations, and the OP is going VFR just looking for flight following and probably Class C transition.

888-766-8267
While these are good, they are specifically for IFR operations, and the OP is going VFR just looking for flight following and probably Class C transition.
Of course, I forgot we weren't talking IFR!

Departing from towered fields, you may get flight following without even asking. I know New Haven and Quonset usually offer it up before you even have a chance to ask. Since I'm almost always headed southwest towards NY Bravo, I'm willing to bet they are so used to being asked for FF that they just dial it up automatically. NOT that you'll get the handoff to NY Approach. That's maybe 50-50 in my experience.

Still, it all depends. Some towers are friendly and helpful, others, less so. I'm not going to name names, but it DEFINITELY varies. HVN, OQU, LEB - friendly towers. Medford OR is a pretty friendly place. Missoula? Very friendly. In my experience, Dulles is pretty friendly, even to a little ol' bugsmasher. Those places stand out off the top of my head. Palm Springs? Not so friendly (I'll mention them because odds are slim I'll ever be back there:cornut:).

Back