Cleaning tip.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I was out cleaning the belly of the airplane today and was using WashWax belly cleaner and it was not doing a very good job. One of the EMS helicopter pilots told me to use Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, WOW! that stuff works great. So if you have a tuff area to clean, give it a try.:yes:

Dean said:
I was out cleaning the belly of the airplane today and was using WashWax belly cleaner and it was not doing a very good job. One of the EMS helicopter pilots told me to use Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, WOW! that stuff works great. So if you have a tuff area to clean, give it a try.:yes:

Regular Simple Green cleaner seemingly works great also but has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum after prolonged exposure. Do you know what's in Scrubbing Bubbles and what it might do to aluminum or magnesium alloys after it seeps into joints and crevices? I'll stick with the overpriced aircraft cleaners.

Years ago I was involved in a study using Simple Green on aerospace vehicles. An we found Simple Green caused corrosion on certain parts made of steel such as landing gear, steel rivets, hi-locks, pins, bolts and etc.

Mixing diesel fuel/JP-4 with soapy water works well in removing oil and grease stains.

Stache

Witmo said:
Regular Simple Green cleaner seemingly works great also but has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum after prolonged exposure. Do you know what's in Scrubbing Bubbles and what it might do to aluminum or magnesium alloys after it seeps into joints and crevices? I'll stick with the overpriced aircraft cleaners.

There is an "Extreme simple green Aircraft" formulated specifically for airplanes. I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.

Greg Bockelman said:
There is an "Extreme simple green Aircraft" formulated specifically for airplanes. I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.
I got a couple sample bottles of that at Oshkosh this year. I don't have a plane, so I'll probably use it on my aluminium truck wheels!

Got a bottle from Spruce. Spray it on a wet towel and wip down the belly. Works good. Note: I always follow that with a coat of wax. Takes me less than an hour.
Ron

L10MAN said:
Got a bottle from Spruce. Spray it on a wet towel and wip down the belly. Works good. Note: I always follow that with a coat of wax. Takes me less than an hour.
Ron
Make sure the towel is truly wet. This stuff, at least what I have, must be DILUTED prior to use. they said that if you don't, you wind up with a sticky mess.

Stache said:
Years ago I was involved in a study using Simple Green on aerospace vehicles. An we found Simple Green caused corrosion on certain parts made of steel such as landing gear, steel rivets, hi-locks, pins, bolts and etc.

Any soap will do that.........remember, soap is a caustic solution. water being the major part and the cause of rust.

Dean said:

on really dirty stuff i usea product called "foamy engine brite" spray it on let it set, maybe work it with a soft brush and hose it off and re wax.

Back