Cleaning the smashed bugs off

Soak an old T shirt in water and drape it on the leading edge to soak the bugs and loosen them. Soap and water is probably the best. Borrow the FBO's garden hose if they have one. Lots of water makes it easier. Lots of elbow grease.

Flying in the rain gets you a free wash, but you have to fly for a couple of hours to get it all off.

After a flight, I sometimes have a brief moment of silence for all the bugs that I just massacred, thinking about all the bug children that are now orphaned. Then I go have a beer at the bar.

Thank goodness. I thought it was just me.

Hard to beat a Scrub Daddy sponge for cleaning stubborn bugs off my plane. These do not harm the paint.

item_XL_10649281_14050482.jpg

I don't like wash wax all. Maybe it's just me but it seems like it dries streaky. Don't care much for it. Lemon pledge seems to do the job.

It's pretty safe stuff, but I'd hesitate to use it on insanely expensive plexiglass. The Prist spray stuff works well...

Prist is what I use on my windows, for the same reason. I got that from the motorcycle crowd around here, and the bike shops sell it for 30% less than I can buy it at the airport.

Prist is what I use on my windows, for the same reason. I got that from the motorcycle crowd around here, and the bike shops sell it for 30% less than I can buy it at the airport.

That's good to know. Yeah, only Prist or Plexus on our windows, for us.

Second or third for Plexus - then a wax for plexiglass. You need to rewax when you deep clean with plexus because it strips the wax - but you can use vinegar and water in between - just make sure you use a microfiber cloth to prevent micro scratches

First time I flew in the rain for any length of time, I saw all these black streaks spreading from the cowling on back after I landed. I came >< close to freaking out as I thought I'd developed some massive leak of some sort. It was the black stuff (aluminum) that gets on your cowl chafe tape that was rinsed away.

Should be more of a stealth purchase too. Boxes that scream aviation raise red flags that need not be raised at times. New plan - going to amazon Wash Wax All and Sprayway ammonia free glass cleaner.
Every time I put my airplane back in the hangar, I wipe it down with Blackfire Waterless Wash. This product is 1:48 concentrated. One bottle lasted me a year. I bought the kit with the pump sprayer and thick microfiber towels, although a spray bottle from Wal-Mart will get the job done just as well. I washed and waxed my airplane last June (a year ago) and have not washed or waxed since then since the polymers in this stuff does such a great job.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-waterless-wash-concentrate.html

Every time I put my airplane back in the hangar, I wipe it down with Blackfire Waterless Wash. This product is 1:48 concentrated. One bottle lasted me a year. I bought the kit with the pump sprayer and thick microfiber towels, although a spray bottle from Wal-Mart will get the job done just as well. I washed and waxed my airplane last June (a year ago) and have not washed or waxed since then since the polymers in this stuff does such a great job.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-waterless-wash-concentrate.html

I like it. I'm going to try this. I'm a big fan of cheap. The wash wax all is half gone and I only do the leading edges.

My favorite technique is still water and a scrubby pad. I do like Plane Perfect products, one of the company officers is a poster to this site. Most of the products aren't that bad, though the wax is very, very spendy. That said, I've never in my life seen such a shine on anything. Well worth the scratch.

I clean the aircraft with microfiber cloths. Two buckets, one for wash and one for rinse.

Last edited:
I used Rejex and didn't find it made it any easier to remove the bugs. Lemon Pledge was recommended on BeechTalk and that's what I use now. Works great. I do not use it on the windshield however. I have a plexi cleaner that works well, forgot the name.

50/50 water and Hydrogen Peroxide if they dry or if their fresh

Windows- nothing ever but Plexus

As "wax", I use Rejex polymer on the plane. After landing, I spray the leading edges, nose and windshield with water. Give it a minute and the bugs wipe off effortlessly with a rag. The key is to clean them immediately after you land.

Let them dry and harden for a few days, then it takes a little longer presoak, but they will still wipe off the wings. The windshield takes more effort unless the Rejex is applied more frequently. The coating on the leading edges and nose lasts months if you don't use anything more abrasive than a water spray and soft rag.

I'm about to follow this one. The Rejex wax is what the previous owner of the A35 did followed by a pre/post wipe down of final inspection (from the auto store). The result is stunning .. no bug. Downside: you gotta wear shades ;)

I don't like wash wax all. Maybe it's just me but it seems like it dries streaky. Don't care much for it. Lemon pledge seems to do the job.

I've used Wash Wax all for many years, so I do like it. I use two rags (or sometimes more), a "wet" one, and a "dry" one. I apply with the wet, and wipe off with the dry. By using the dry rag, I get rid of any streaking.

BAAM Bugs Away and More used on our Cirrus and SZD 55, no problems with composites if repair required. Cannot post link too few posts.

You're using too much.

I've used Wash Wax All a lot, but often the bugs are pretty well dried out by the time I land and I don't always have time to wipe 'em off. There's this stuff called Klear to Land that works pretty well for getting rid of them later.

Back