Cleaning Products

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr

This my first plane and the first time I am washing it and I was wondering if any on has any suggestion on what cleaning solutions that I should use. Wash, Wax and Grease removal.

Thanks,
Bob

Simple Clean (Aviation) does work well for bellies. But make sure to get it all wiped off. For your first wax, i would go with a turtle wax type. scrub on dry and scrub off. after that initial wax, maguires red spray on works well for me.

For cleaning oily bellys I use the original GOJO - without the pumice.

Waxing I just use a regular car wax plus put Rejex (http://www.e-tackle.com/rejeX.htm) on the nose, spinner and all leading edges. Makes it a lot easier to remove bugs after flying.

Best stuff I've found in 30 years around airplanes is called "Wash-Wax All." It's a spray on, wipe off cleaner that works on any surface on the aircraft, including painted metal, plastic, and transparencies. You can get a kit for about $25 plus shipping that includes 1-qt spray bottles of both the standard and heavy-duty, a good cloth for wiping, and a bug-scrubber. You can get 1-gallon refills for about $25 each.

I used about 2/3 of a quart of the regular to for the first clean/polish of the entire surface of our Cheetah except the belly and underside of the wings. Since then, it's just leading edges every flight and the rest as needed. The regular is fine for all normal bug splats and ordinary oil/grease/dirt, as well as cleaning the rubber wing-fuselage gap seals leaving them clean, shiny, and pliable. I've only used heavy-duty stuff for under the fuselage where the oil really gets on and to debug the nose bowl where the engine heat really bakes on the bugs. After six months, we were still on our original quart of HD, and about 1 quart into the first gallon refill of the regular.

Call 1-800-WASH-WAX to locate the nearest distributor. They have a web site, too, with a dealer locator: http://www.washwax.com/

Thanks guys,

I got everything I need and today I am off to wash and wax the plane. I hope it doesn't take to long.

Thanks again,
Bob

Back