Cleaning plane with no water.... What to use?

EPA.

When I flew in the US for an airline we would cycle our planes through Mexico to have them washed because so many airports don't want to comply with the EPA regs on wash racks.

Look for tightening of EPA regulations on "brown water" storage and runoff for homeowners and businesses. I foresee the time coming that washing cars will have to be done at an "approved" facility.

You don't have to wait, that's already happening in place with heavy water restrictions. You can't wash your car at home with a hose, you have to go to a car wash that recycles the water. It's been going on for quite a while in some places.

Fly it to another airport. Ask what others at your field do.
There is a field about 10 min from mine that has a big hanger that was converted to a coin operated plane wash. Might see if there is something like that near you.

Otherwise you probably gonna need degreaser and lots of paper towels.

Really? What field has the plane wash?

If I Washwax, can I then put wax over that or do I need a soap wash first?

If I Washwax, can I then put wax over that or do I need a soap wash first?

You can wax right over it. As ling as you have an abrasive clear surface, you can use wax to clean it. It does very well on oil film. The best thing I have found for exhaust stains is Flitz polish.

I remember "washing" a Piper Cheyenne using rags and a spray bottle. Fun times when there wasn't a wash rack at the airport.

When you look at our highways, the waste oil on them, the asphalt used to build them whose base is oil, that they leach constantly, the oil spills and oil transmission line leaks that occur constantly it seems absurd that washing an airplane at a country airport could possibly present a problem . I buy 10 gallons of bottled water, use it sparingly with a small amount of blue coral car wash and a car brush on a pole. Then rinse with the remaining water. Works great and contaminates no one. (The ground percolates!)My airport simply has no water as the pump broke.

I have a question about waterless washing. The wings on my plane are dirty from farmers fields blowing dust and dirt around. It seems to me I've got to get someplace where I can rinse the grime off before I start using the products mentioned here, right?

When you look at our highways, the waste oil on them, the asphalt used to build them whose base is oil, that they leach constantly, the oil spills and oil transmission line leaks that occur constantly it seems absurd that washing an airplane at a country airport could possibly present a problem . I buy 10 gallons of bottled water, use it sparingly with a small amount of blue coral car wash and a car brush on a pole. Then rinse with the remaining water. Works great and contaminates no one. (The ground percolates!)My airport simply has no water as the pump broke.

My point exactly......:yes::yes::yes:...:thumbsup:

I have a question about waterless washing. The wings on my plane are dirty from farmers fields blowing dust and dirt around. It seems to me I've got to get someplace where I can rinse the grime off before I start using the products mentioned here, right?

I used a California duster first, water to get the bird poop off and then wash waxed it.

I use a spray bottle of water (softened water from home) and a combination of Zephyr Pro 40 and Bush's metal polishes.

For the paint, I clay bar'd it, then waxed it with the cyclo. I spritz the painted part up with a detailing nano/wax spray in between jobs.

Micro fiber towels are great, but I've learned if you drop one, it's like a clay bar. You need to discard it for polishing or wiping your plane. You can't ever get all the stuff out they pick up, and they'll scratch paint and metal from then on. Micro-scratches. Beware the micro-scratches. :skeptical:

I use a dry wash product by Celeste that is formulated for use in Aviation. Works great in the high humidity environment of Florida too. Free samples were great to try it out.

Yes, you want to get the grit off first.

I've always thought a plane wash were a bunch of topless college girls wash your plane would be fairly successful in a male dominated sport like aviation. :dunno:

I've always thought a plane wash were a bunch of topless college girls wash your plane would be fairly successful in a male dominated sport like aviation. :dunno:

Why stop at just being topless...:dunno:.......;).......:D

Back