Cleaning egt probes

comancheflyer30

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dsc45shooter
Bought a used EDM 700 and will be installing soon. What is recommended way to clean egt probes before installing? I cant find anything in writing anywhere. It looks like they have a light blue or white powder substance all over them. I guess this is lead. I know i could try many different products or even take a dremel and a brass spin wheel to them but curious if anyone actually knows what companies like alcor jpi or ei recommends for cleaning used probes

Why bother they’re going to get blasted with exhaust anyway.

Got to love forums. Was just curious if anyone had prior dealings with cleaning probes and thought the info might be helpful to others once posted.

Usually when I pull them out of that small hole, they are either clean from being scraped off during exit or they are busted from 'unable to reasonably pull them out'.
I guess if you has some solvent and scotchbrite pads you could get them squeaky clean but I usually don't clean them.

Why bother they’re going to get blasted with exhaust anyway.
Agreed. If they just have lightly colored dry coating, that is normal and no need to clean anyway.
Once you expose them to the exhaust stream, the extreme temperatures will clean any foreign materials anyway.
Really no reason to clean EGT probes.

Back