Cleaning connections (Century III)

djshannon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vbdewd
Hi all. In browsing thru the boards over the months, I recall seeing people having intermittent trouble with autopilots, and the standard advice seemed to be "make sure you clean all of the connections", as this can be the source of a lot of minor errors and intermittent issues.

So, what does that entail? Is there a "cleaning solution" that is commonly used in this regard, or do you just get some alcohol and wipe them down to try and rub off oxidization,etc. or what?

Just wondering.

I use Caig Deoxit on electronic stuff. Really works well on everything from test equipment to automotive to really grungy old guitar amps. Best to use small shots rather than one big, long blast, and be careful not to push the grunge farther into what you're trying to clean.

But I don't attempt to work on avionics myself, though...

Trapper John

Hi all. In browsing thru the boards over the months, I recall seeing people having intermittent trouble with autopilots, and the standard advice seemed to be "make sure you clean all of the connections", as this can be the source of a lot of minor errors and intermittent issues.

So, what does that entail? Is there a "cleaning solution" that is commonly used in this regard, or do you just get some alcohol and wipe them down to try and rub off oxidization,etc. or what?

Just wondering.

The blue circular connectors on the Century III can need more than cleaning although it can't hurt to try that. The real problem there is that the female pins lose their gripping spring force.

The blue circular connectors on the Century III can need more than cleaning although it can't hurt to try that. The real problem there is that the female pins lose their gripping spring force.

hmm, if the connector won't hold tight, it sounds like there's no easy solution then... don't want to mess with crimping, etc. so then are you faced with rewiring in new connector's?

hmm, if the connector won't hold tight, it sounds like there's no easy solution then... don't want to mess with crimping, etc. so then are you faced with rewiring in new connector's?

Yup and the connectors are about $50 each. The connectors can usually be retensioned a couple of times before they have to be renewed...

So, what does that entail? Is there a "cleaning solution" that is commonly used in this regard, or do you just get some alcohol and wipe them down to try and rub off oxidization,etc. or what.

If you can find a Radio Shack that has "color tv tuner cleaner" in a spray can, it will work wonders.

As to the other female connectors that lose their grip, KY is one answer :D

Jim

Back