CLE controllers really comply with FAA DRESS code

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
CLEVELAND -- Air-traffic controllers locked in a labor dispute with the Federal Aviation Administration are upset over a dress code and have shown their displeasure in colorful fashion.

Their union said there have a been a few occasions where male controllers complied with the letter of the guidelines by wearing dresses to work.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13589237/detail.html

Maybe that's why they keep us far away from the Bravo. They don't want us to see?

What great timing! I am running Firefox with a bunch of tabs open right now. The first two are called "ASAP Applicant", an online application application for a "well known" federal administration.

I finished my pre-application not thirty seconds before I opened this post and read it.

Sort of appeals to my sense of humor about the possibility of joining "the dark side" on the other side of the mic. :fcross:

If I make it, I hope that they have a class on what shoes go with what dress.....

--Matt

I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if I was put at the bottom of the pile or if they're just moving at the government pace. Good luck to you, Matt, and let me know what happens. Which area did you apply for?

Their union said there have a been a few occasions where male controllers complied with the letter of the guidelines by wearing dresses to work.
They took that idea from William. :D

ATC wears skirts?

Paul Harvey News had a blurb that I happened to catch this a.m. He said that in protest of the FAA's dress code, some ATC'ers were wearing dresses.

Is this all over, or just the places where it wouldn't be noted as unusual behavior? (California et al)

What's the new dress code supposed to be? I'd have thought each facility would establish their own standards - within the realm of some great vague administrative general decree.

Re: ATC wears skirts?

I don't care what they wear, as long as it's not a distraction to pilots or other controllers.

In San Francisco, that could be a problem...

(Hehehe..)

Well, I wore a kimono at a wedding reception last weekend, what's the big deal?

Now that I think about it, this is probably the wrong forum for this thread. I apologize. Feel free to ignore.

Paul Harvey News had a blurb that I happened to catch this a.m. He said that in protest of the FAA's dress code, some ATC'ers were wearing dresses.

Is this all over, or just the places where it wouldn't be noted as unusual behavior? (California et al)

What's the new dress code supposed to be? I'd have thought each facility would establish their own standards - within the realm of some great vague administrative general decree.

It's all over the nation. The dress code was set by the Failed Aviation Administration management in Washington D.C. and was included in the illegally imposed workrules the FAA forced upon its employees on September 3, 2006.

Each facility's air traffic manager has the authority to relax (or in most cases) or tighten the dress code. The controllers who haven't had a dress code since, well, forever, had decided to boycott the dress code by wearing dresses, skirts, and other hideous outfits which are approved to be worn under the new dress code. <rant>I wish the stupid FAA would just focus on fixing our broken airspace system rather than worrying about the clothing the men and women that keep the sky safe are wearing on the other end of the transmitter.</rant>

Pictures from Tom Welham's blog (a controller at P50, Pheonix TRACON):

http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/here-is-picture-of-bob-ruff-fellow.html
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/parade-of-fashions-continues-air.html
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/air-traffic-controller-fashion-hall-of.html (probably the best one)
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/clothes-make-man-i-have-found-that-i.html

Last edited:

Thanks for the insight, Jason!! AND the pic's! ROTFLMBU!!!

Can we get a link to the actual dress code?

Certainly, gym shorts, short shorts and tank tops may not be appropriate for work. But, given the stress these folks are under and the workload, I want them to feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Safety and performance are the issues of importance.

Like most government agencies, I guess symbolism is more important than substance.

Well, I wore a kimono at a wedding reception last weekend, what's the big deal?

When my company had a large factory in Scotland I would wear my family tartan (Morgan) kilt, had to learn to cross my legs differently but no big deal.

Any of you guys try the Ultilikilt yet?

http://www.utilikilts.com/

I have seen a few out and about.

Certainly, gym shorts, short shorts and tank tops may not be appropriate for work. But, given the stress these folks are under and the workload, I want them to feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Safety and performance are the issues of importance.

Like most government agencies, I guess symbolism is more important than substance.

Yeah. And there were more management stoopids like barring controllers from bringing in food when the only place they could eat was the other side of security and an hour away...and banning them from using simple weather radios when the official sources were frequently OOS. In that case they couldn't get a warning of a tornado aimed right at the tower.

When my company had a large factory in Scotland I would wear my family tartan (Morgan) kilt, had to learn to cross my legs differently but no big deal.

Real men don't cross their legs when wearing a dress. :D

Can we get a link to the actual dress code?

I don't have a copy of the imposed work rules (referred to as the "White book") as IIRC, it is only distributed to FAA employed controllers.

What I can tell you is that the dress code bans: T-shirts, jeans, sneakers, sweatpants, cargo-style pants (depends on the facility), any shorts, sandals, and a few other items. If you show up to the ATC facility wearing any of the banned items, you are instructed to leave the facility, return to your home to change your clothing to be in compliance with the dress code, and return to the facility promptly. I'm not making this stuff up, it happened/s all the time.

Though I'm sure it's a huge relief to hear the FAA is making an exception for Oshkosh and Lakeland controllers that work AirVenture and Sun 'N Fun traffic. Talk about hypocrisy.

Get a Utilikilt.

Manly & practical, yet unconfined!

Nobody asked this guy why he wore a dress.
william-wallace-sword.gif

wallace.jpg

Male controllers in dresses. "But officer, I was speeding because I was late for work. Oh, why am I wearing a dress? It's a long story . . . "

Then, on the way home, do they stop at the local watering hole? Let's hope it's not a biker bar.

Ronald Reagan must be spinning in his grave, wishing for the good old days!

I think they're behaving like Junior High School kids.

Get a Utilikilt.

Manly & practical, yet unconfined!

Nobody asked this guy why he wore a dress.
william-wallace-sword.gif

wallace.jpg

We should get some with the PoA logo on them for the 6Y9 fly-in. Oh Michael!!!

I don't have a copy of the imposed work rules (referred to as the "White book") as IIRC, it is only distributed to FAA employed controllers.

What I can tell you is that the dress code bans: T-shirts, jeans, sneakers, sweatpants, cargo-style pants (depends on the facility), any shorts, sandals, and a few other items. If you show up to the ATC facility wearing any of the banned items, you are instructed to leave the facility, return to your home to change your clothing to be in compliance with the dress code, and return to the facility promptly. I'm not making this stuff up, it happened/s all the time.

Though I'm sure it's a huge relief to hear the FAA is making an exception for Oshkosh and Lakeland controllers that work AirVenture and Sun 'N Fun traffic. Talk about hypocrisy.

Jason, please don't interpret this as me taking sides because I have the utmost respect for ATC.

The "banned" list you site is almost identical to our corporate "casual Friday" dress code. Like ATC, we are not meeting with clients (pilots). Granted our office has lights and windows but that is about the only difference I can determine (less the stress level). Monday through Thursday is business casual which means slacks and a button down.

So, was/is it the dress code that broke the camel's back with all the other problems going on with the FAA?

Frankly I could care less what the controller I am talking with is wearing so long as the service received is professional (which it most always is).

Frankly I could care less what the controller I am talking with is wearing so long as the service received is professional (which it most always is).
Agreed. If other public service employees with direct contact with their "customer" were as professional and well-performing, imagine the improvement.

Didn't see yours, Scott.

Those things are EXPENSIVE! $120-$900 :hairraise:

At least they have mah size.

Jason, please don't interpret this as me taking sides because I have the utmost respect for ATC.

The "banned" list you site is almost identical to our corporate "casual Friday" dress code. Like ATC, we are not meeting with clients (pilots). Granted our office has lights and windows but that is about the only difference I can determine (less the stress level). Monday through Thursday is business casual which means slacks and a button down.

So, was/is it the dress code that broke the camel's back with all the other problems going on with the FAA?

Kevin,

I understand where you're coming from. The main issue I believe the controller workforce had (and still do) with the dress code was the fact that 1) The FAA was screwing them over in many other ways before the dress code and 2) The people creating the dress code never worked traffic ever and still have no idea that what a controller wears to work in no way affects positive job performance.

The dress code isn't really what "broke the camel's back" to use your words, it was all of the other work rules that were illegally imposed by the FAA that set everyone off. The dress code inclusion just escalated it.

I think we can all share confidence in that statement. That's just how the controllers see it and find it completely ridiculous that the FAA bureaucrats who have no idea what the job is truly like forced new workrules after declaring impasse against the controller's union (NATCA) during generally speaking, reasonable contract negotiations. Why find reasons to set controllers off which compromises safety of the flying public? The FAA bureaucrats clearly have no concern for the safety and well-being of those individuals.

It's not the dress code itself, it's the moral issue behind it.

Appreciate the insight and clarification.

Good luck and thanks for what you and your coworkers do for us!

Appreciate the insight and clarification.

Good luck and thanks for what you and your coworkers do for us!

Wish I could say thank you, but I'm not yet a controller. I just have a lot of controller knowledge, insight, and good friends who are controllers all over the nation.

Glad to provide some insight on the issues though. It's great to discuss many perspectives on important issues.

The dress code isn't really what "broke the camel's back" to use your words, it was all of the other work rules that were illegally imposed by the FAA that set everyone off. The dress code inclusion just escalated it.
Plus, when you get used to having a privilege (dressing informally) and they take it away it's worse than not ever having it at all. Frankly I would like to go back to flying in jeans and a t-shirt like back in the mapping days.

PJ,
I applied to "All of the above" on the website. I just wanted to keep my options open, I guess. I think that we have to wait, at least, until Monday when the job posting "closes" and they can start going through the applications.
Does anyone know about this kind of thing?

All,
If I get hired by the FAA, I promise not to wear a dress. Nothing in the aviation world is scarier than a bearded man with hairy, white (like the wind driven snow) legs in a skirt trying to give you vectors....

--Matt

It's all over the nation. The dress code was set by the Failed Aviation Administration management in Washington D.C. and was included in the illegally imposed workrules the FAA forced upon its employees on September 3, 2006.

Each facility's air traffic manager has the authority to relax (or in most cases) or tighten the dress code. The controllers who haven't had a dress code since, well, forever, had decided to boycott the dress code by wearing dresses, skirts, and other hideous outfits which are approved to be worn under the new dress code. <rant>I wish the stupid FAA would just focus on fixing our broken airspace system rather than worrying about the clothing the men and women that keep the sky safe are wearing on the other end of the transmitter.</rant>

Pictures from Tom Welham's blog (a controller at P50, Pheonix TRACON):

http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/here-is-picture-of-bob-ruff-fellow.html
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/parade-of-fashions-continues-air.html
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/air-traffic-controller-fashion-hall-of.html (probably the best one)
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/clothes-make-man-i-have-found-that-i.html

got a slight bias Jason? ;)

Personally I dont care what my controller wears, he/she should be comfortable. If hes comfortable in dress pants and a tie, then so be it.

got a slight bias Jason? ;)

Personally I dont care what my controller wears, he/she should be comfortable. If hes comfortable in dress pants and a tie, then so be it.

Yes I do, Tony, but what I said above is all true. I'm also tired of the FAA lying about everything to everyone, it's getting very frustrating. So many people just stop and believe whatever they say and whatever truth I'm able to provide is better than nothing.

Last edited:
If I get hired by the FAA, I promise not to wear a dress.
As far as I'm concerned, you can wear a dress. ;)

After all, women are allowed to wear pants (as far as I know), and I've always disliked anything that smack of the double standard. :blowingkisses:

Back