Clay Bar

Captain Larry

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Larry Nelson
I did not want to hijack the Collinite 845 thread (have and do use that). I have no experience with clay bar and would like to use it on my 195 prior to OSH. Bought two kits at O'Reilly's. I have watched two Youtube videos (but those were cars). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Larry

There is nothing special about the lubricant. What works best for me is soapy water.
Turtle Wax car soap at about three times the recommended amount works great.
Davids%20blue%20car_zpstron8seb.jpg

1991 Corvette ZR1.............claybarred

Remember, If you drop the clay bar, throw it away.

Wow...you can really see the difference! And from the shadows, you must have claybarred that Corvette in like what...6 seconds? ;)

Another thread on this subject:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/paint-cleaning.89570/

One fellow mentions another product when I brought up the clay bar. He says it can be had cheaply, my search found it to be very expensive. I still use the clay since I have some left. Keep it wet with whatever you use and you'll feel it shearing off the crap. If it stops moving very easily -you're too dry, squirt more stuff.

I did not want to hijack the Collinite 845 thread (have and do use that). I have no experience with clay bar and would like to use it on my 195 prior to OSH. Bought two kits at O'Reilly's. I have watched two Youtube videos (but those were cars). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Larry

I've used it. It works well. Just follow the directions.

But bring your Aleve and an ice pack. Clay baring an airplane that big will wear your arse out (or your shoulder)...

If done right, its no more arduous than wiping with a sponge. There is essentially no pressure applied as the right liquid keeps it moving like wet glass. No need to press hard. If done properly you'll feel the bumps of crap being sheared and when no more are felt - they're gone, move on. I've only found it needed on top surfaces. My plane is usually hangared so never needed it but the truck is outside a lot and only the hood and roof need to be clayed. Nothing to clay on the doors and sides.

Back